5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 1:44 PM by flyerct

x64Camera Raw and 32 bit version of Photoshop

flyerct

Weird question I know

Here is my question - Cs5 installed both 32 and 64 bit version on my Win 7 x64 installation.

Now, some of the plugins are not yet x64 compatible. What I want ACR to do is to open the files in the 32bit version of CS5 when clicking on "Open Image/s"

How can one set this in ACR??

Many thanks

• 1. Re: x64Camera Raw and 32 bit version of Photoshop
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

flyerct wrote:

How can one set this in ACR??

You can't...ACR depends entirely on the host application being either 32-bit or 64-bit. If you launch Photoshop as a 32-bit app, the 32-bit version of Camera Raw will be used. Alternatively you can launch ACR from Bridge which will also open the 32-bit version of Camera Raw.

• 2. Re: x64Camera Raw and 32 bit version of Photoshop
            flyerct Level 1

Thanks for that Jeff

But that's my particular problem??

When I use Bridge to open files in ACR (not sure whether it is opening the 32 or 64 bit version of ACR) I want it to open in CS5 32 bit ( I know it sucks but the development of the plugins for x64 is a tad too slow for my liking)

So  - I want the workflow accordingly to be Bridge  -> ACR 32bit -> CS5 32bit (for now until the 2 plugins are updated)

When I follow the above needed workflow, it opens the 64 bit version  of CS?

• 3. Re: x64Camera Raw and 32 bit version of Photoshop
              Dennis 1111 Level 2

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Alternatively you can launch ACR from Bridge which will also open the 32-bit version of Camera Raw.

I don't believe this is correct, Jeff.  In my experience (and many others), the default is 64-bit PS when opened in the sequence Bridge>ACR>PS.

There are scripts floating around the web that will modify the Registry so that ACR will default to 32-bit PS.  Some people also claim that using file associations to specifically link image files to the 32-bit PS (inside of Program Files(x82) will also work although I have not had luck with that method myself.

I will check later to see if I can find some example scripts.  In the mean time, perhaps someone will beat me to it.  I believe they have been included in posts here in the Adobe forums - if not here in Adobe Camera Raw, perhaps the main PS forum.

I was a little disappointed when Adobe didn't include some kind of switch or utility to handle this in CS5 since it has been an annoyance since CS4 and is still a bother for many people who have filters that don't work in 64-bit.

• 4. Re: x64Camera Raw and 32 bit version of Photoshop
                Curt Y Level 6

The defalult for PS is 64 bit.  But, as Jeff says if you have 32 bit PS open then it will open image in 32 bit supporting programs.

In Bridge you can set certain files types to open in 32 bit version by setting it in /preferences/file type association.  Use browse to naavigate to 32 bit PS.exe

If you want to open 32 bit PS in general the best bet would be to put a 32 bit and 64 bit shortcuts on the desktop.

• 5. Re: x64Camera Raw and 32 bit version of Photoshop
                  flyerct Level 1

Ahhh - now I get  it

Sorry if I did not understand before

Many thanks to everyone for helping out here - much appreciated