3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2010 1:34 PM by BlackCalvus

crashing while importing AAF created in AVid

brettsky6969

I am trying to exchange sequences between AVID MC 5.0 and PP CS5.  I have exported my media from AVid 2 ways:  1) by linking to ("don't export") and 2) by exporting media.  The AAF is created and when I try to import into a new project in PP with the same project settings PP crashes.

any advice?

• 1. Re: crashing while importing AAF created in AVid
          Christiank

I'm running into the same problem. I removed the media from the drive, so now my aaf opens without crashing. When I try to link, it tells me "compression not supported". So, for me it seems to be crashing on a codec error.

No solution yet.

Christian

• 2. Re: crashing while importing AAF created in AVid
            brettsky6969 Level 1

I was able to import an AAF without media attached.  So basically I got the timeline to import into Premiere. Maybe you are then supposed to get copies of the source files (not the mxf files but the source that created the mxf?) and link to the source files?

Because Avid is just generating MXF media and Premiere wants QTs instead.

I've been working on Avid and FCP for years but new to Premiere. I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find any documentation on how this work flow is handled....

If I find anything more I will let you know.

• 3. Re: crashing while importing AAF created in AVid
              BlackCalvus Level 1
              I was able to import an AAF without media attached.  So basically I got the timeline to import into Premiere. Maybe you are then supposed to get copies of the source files (not the mxf files but the source that created the mxf?) and link to the source files?

I'm having the same problem.  I've tried to export different AAF's from Avid.  Either linked to original location, consolidated to folder or embedded.  Premiere will either crash on import, or import the sequence with audio but all video offline.

I've been through what I can find of documentation, and there seem to be scant few details about what kind of AAF's Premiere will accept.

Avid MC v 5.0.3.5, project 25i PAL, media 1:1 MXF

Premiere 5.0.2

System:

Windows 7 x64 Professional

Dell Precision T7500

2x Xeon 5580, 48GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX3800, 3x 15k rpm SAS 450GB drives - 1 for system, 2 in raid for data