1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 4:56 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 8.0 hangs on startup

reed256a Level 1

The welcome screen for Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 comes up, with three buttons on the left side of the screen: Organize, New Project and Open Project. The progress bar (resembling a horizontal barber pole with purple and black stripes) stis there forever, saying it's Gathering User Info...  The program appears to be hung.  I've tried re-booting. I've tried un-installing Premiere Elements 8.0 and re-installing from CD ROM.  Program still seems to hang.

A couple of weeks ago the program was working well. My Dell desktop computer is running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3, with 4 GB of RAM and 108 GB of free disk space. Windows Task Manager shows Premiere Elements is using about 79.6 MB of RAM, and zero CPU.

Here's a shot of the welcome screen, with the program hung.

PremiereWelcome.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Reed

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8.0 hangs on startup
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, go to Windows Update manually and ensure you have even the non-critical updates for your system. (Look especially for hardware drivers and other such updates.) Then go to Apple.com and ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

Also, give your C drive a good defragging. The program needs a lot of contiguous hard drive space to open, and fragmentation can foul that up.

If you haven't already, be sure you have the 8.01 patch for Premiere Elements 8. You can get this by opening any Adobe program (even Acrobat Reader), going to the Help menu and selecting Check for Updates. This will load any updates for any Adobe program on your whole computer.

You don't say if you've tried creating a new project from this Welcome Screen, but try that. And give it time to load whatever drivers it needs to. It could take a couple of minutes, so don't be impatient.

Worst case, you can uninstall and reinstall. You won't lose any work in progress by doing this.