14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 5:14 PM by the_wine_snob

How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?

JoeHoetzl Level 1

It seems that at every turn, PRE9 on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM, crashes.  Editing titles, scrubbing through a video, exporting...

Are the bug reports I am submitting getting there?  I wanted more flexibility than iMovie, but more and more I find myself back in there to produce simple videos.

The footage I am working with are either from a Canon 7D or a Kodak Zi8.  Both seem to have issues.

This is a paid for, and registered copy of PRE9 (otherwise I couldn't work with Canon 7D video at all).

Thank you,

-Joe

• 1. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For every Bug that you can document, you only need to file one Bug Report. It should have full documentation, so that Adobe's lab can reproduce the problem. This ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Adobe will reproduce the Bug, document it, and then begin working on a fix. Depending on how long that takes, you may see a patch quickly, or it might be longer in coming.

In the meantime, you might see this ARTICLE and post the requested info. It could be that there is at least a workaround, until your Bugs are fixed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Video from your Kodak may be iffy -- but the video from your Canon EOS should work perfectly in the program, if you're using the proper project preset.

Have you ensured that your Premiere Elements project is set up to match the specs of your camcorder's video? This setting is specific to your camera -- it is NOT AVCHD! (It also doesn't hurt to install your camcorder's software on your computer, since it sometimes includes important codec information.)

And note that this camera shoots video in up to 6 different frame rates and specs -- so you must ensure that your project settings match whatever settings you're using to create your video. This match is vital to a successful project. (My books, by the way, include a chart for figuring out exactly which project presets work with which camera source and setting.)

BTW, how powerful is the processor in your Macbook and how much RAM and free space do you have on your hard drive? Remember that most laptop computers are built for portability, not power (This is particularly true with Macbooks), so you may not have the power or drive space to work with such intensive (H.264) video.

Finally, note that this is a user-to-user forum. If you're looking for help working through your issues, we're glad to help you. But if you merely want to report a bug or contact Adobe, you've come to wrong place.

To contact Adobe, click on the Contact button at the top of this web page. We're all civilians here.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
              VDOSurfer Level 3

Do you get a red line above the timeline when the clips are on it? If so, could you try deleting all clips in the timeline and importing only one? any one. That will take you to the correct project preset. Once there, try to playback.

What is your graphics card? I know the driver update is not an issue, as it is on Windows, but still manual download and installation of the latest drivers can help.

I also wish someone from Adobe contacts users to ask for the details, but till that happens, we're here to help.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                JoeHoetzl Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yeah, came off a bit harsh, but it seems on every click of a feature, it would crash.  Even after a reboot.

Anyway, why do you say that the Zi8's h.264 MOV 720p 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps (well, really 29.97) might be iffy? I see it has FLIP presets in places, any chance of Zi8 support in there?

The project was "adjusted" to match when I dropped the first clip onto the timeline, so yes, that should be OK.

The laptop is a 15" MacBook Pro, 2.66Ghz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 250GB+ free internal disk space. I would certainly think that a spec like this should be able to work on these videos, no?  If not, could you suggest, in the Mac lineup, what spec are we talking for smooth editing of these videos?

As for contacting Adobe for reporting of bugs, it is much to much of a one way street.  A while back, on a LR3 bug, I got so frustrated at the process that I blogged about it and how I think it could be improved.

That is why I am turning to the forums, for hopefully, a much more interactive experience, which, it is, and I am glad for that! So thank you!

Look forward to your response,

-Joe

• 5. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                  JoeHoetzl Level 1

Hi,

I didn't notice a red line, but now, purposefully setting it incorrectly, I see what you mean.  When I dropped the clip on the timeline, it prompted me to adjust, so I did that, and that should have covered it.

The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB.  The MacBook is running all the latest OS patches, and app updates from everywhere.

Thanks,

-Joe

• 6. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?

Try manually selecting the correct DSLR project preset when you set up your project and don't depend on the Mismatched Settings tool to do it for you.

When you've got an ideal match of footage and project preset, you will usually not see a red line (or any line) above the clips on your timeline until you add transitions or effects to it.

The Kodak video is not the same as the Flip video, so I don't recommend assuming they'll use the same preset.

For now, stick with the Canon footage until you're sure you've got your settings right. The program is specifically optimized to work with Canon EOS footage. Once you've got this workflow down, you can experiment more with the Kodak footage, which is a bit more of a wild card.

• 7. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Went through the blog. I can feel the pain. Some of us in the forum, like me, are here just to see how much we can help, and get loaded with useful information about video and editing.

But most come here because it has been painful trying out a more "usual" channel with the Adobe Support for some of their trouble. And that is not close to acceptable. But that is how it is and that is how it will be it seems in the near future..

That aside, here is an update site for the MAC book Pro. I am hoping against hope you find something here that can be used in isolation to improve the graphics (and hence the playback) performance.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macbookpro

• 8. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                        JoeHoetzl Level 1

I have to ask, what is wrong with the Zi8's captures?  I don't have all the video I'd like to work on from the Canon 7D.  Is there some known problem with the Zi8 format?

When I select "New Project", it seems I can only choose a preset.  And, if after I pick one, and go to Edit->Project Settings->General, I can't change these options. They are greyed out.

And, I'd like to know how I would know which options to pick?  Something like EXIF for video?  Should I transcode the clips in something else - not that I want to, but if it is required, then I could.

I wasn't saying I'd use the Flip settings, just that I was asking if  there could be a Zi8 setting like there is for the Flip and all the  other formats in there.  or, is there a way to get at these presets and create new ones?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct. The Project Preset needs to be set properly, at New Project. A few have had good luck hacking the PREL file, which is basically an XML database. However, if one attempts this, I would strongly recommend two things:

1.) they only work in a Copy of the PREL

2.) they do a lot of side-by-side comparisons between a New Project with the Preset that they have chosen, and one with the Preset that they wish to change to.

Now, with PrE 9, if one has a poor choice of Project Preset, when they bring the first Clip to the Timeline, the program will offer to correct the Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?

Joseph, can we please focus on the Canon EOS situation first? It's very difficult to chase your problems by chasing two very different issues at the same time!

• 11. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                              JoeHoetzl Level 1

OK, sticking with a 7D clip.

• Loaded Premiere Elements 9
                              • Created a new project
                              • Chose DSLR, 1080p, 30fps @ 29.97
                              • Imported a 45 second .MOV from a Canon 7D
                              • Waiting for it to "conform"
                              • Added a transition at the start of the clip.
                              • Got the red line over the clip
                              • Pressed enter to render it
                              • Got the green line over it
                              • Switched to the titles section of edit
                              • Picked one of the Kids ones
                              • Dragged it to the timeline and it crashed and closed

That is how I recorded this crash in the report to Adobe.

• 12. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

When a crash occurs regarding Titles and Titler, the first thing that I look for is a bad, or corrupt font. This ARTICLE might offer some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                                  JoeHoetzl Level 1

I saw mention of possible conflicts with CS4/5 installations.

I have the CS5 Design Premium installed and registred, as well as Lightroom 3.2.

Are there any documents or articles on the specifics of this?

As for the fonts issue, I am on a Mac - that is Windows stuff.  Regardless, I checked Font Book and it doesn't seem to have any issue scrolling through all the fonts I have.179 of them...

• 14. Re: How many bug reports must I submit before I get a patch?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The only conflict that I can recall is back with Production Studio CS2 and PrE 4. If one had CS2 installed, and then installed PrE 4, CS 2 got broken. One had to then do a Repair Install for the entire CS2 Production Studio, but that handled things. There was an Adobe KB Article on that.

Good luck,

Hunt