3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 8:47 PM by Todd_Kopriva

dust busting tutorials?

BabaG1 Level 1

thinking of trying ae for some dust busting on film transfers. are there any

tutorials for this that someone could point me towards? all i've seen in

searching is for adding dust. i need to remove it.

thanks,

BabaG

• 1. Re: dust busting tutorials?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

One approach to dust busting is to use the Clone Stamp tool. There's plenty of information on how to use the Clone Stamp tool here.

Another approach is to render and export a sequence of PSD files and just do the work frame by frame in Photoshop. The paint and selection tools in Photoshop are enough easier to work with that this can be worth the extra hassle of moving files back and forth.

• 2. Re: dust busting tutorials?
            BabaG1 Level 1

thanks, todd.

i understand the basics of the clone tool. been using shake until now but,

as things move forward, i feel the need to find an alternative as it's no

longer supported.

one thing a tutorial aimed specifically at dust busting would be helpful

with is temporal questions. the example in the link you posted clones part

of an image in an ongoing manner, the image being cloned to all

subsequent frames. i'd like to see how the clone tool is used to clone part

of an image for only the present frame. not sure how the controls would

work and it be helpful to see how to address the temporal question. do i

keyframe? do i need many layers for all the frames? things like that.

thanks again,

BabaG

• 3. Re: dust busting tutorials?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Clone Stamp tool's strokes are just like any other paint strokes. You can set their duration to be whatever you like---e.g., one frame. All that you need to know to get started with the paint tools is in this section.

If you've been using Shake, then I'm pretty sure that you're bright enough to read some documentation and get going on your own without a hand-holding tutorial. ;-)