4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 12:06 AM by i_dream_of_jeannie

Captions

lakeswalks

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but I am new to the forum and relatively new to the product. I have worked through my manual and cannot find any help with my problem below. I video lots of landscapes, mainly mountans. What I want to do is as the video runs and pans, I want to freeze my video and insert captions above the mountains,  effectively naming them and then a few seconds later continue the video until the next mountain comes along that I want to name and freeze the video again. I want the captions to be shown all the time the video is effectively in freeze frame. The other thing I would like to do is add captions that actually move along with the pan from right to left along the screen above the mountains in question. Any help on these would be graetly appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Captions
          i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious, so that's fine. Here is what you can do:

1. To freeze the mountains : Move the timeline indicator on the frame that you want to freeze.Now, click on the freeze frame icon (an icon which looks like a camera) just above the timeline and insert those frames in the timeline. Now to put the caption, click on the 'T' icon above the timeline and you will get the Caption.

You can read more about it on : http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS5649B74B-FD66-47eb-9D04-89F8227DD29E. html

2. To add the captions or Titles (as Premiere Elements calls it), just click on the 'T' icon and a Title will be added wherever your timeline indicator is. Also PRE provides various text animations that you can apply on the text,

You can get more details from: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS92577ECE-508F-4b46-AF1F-8F3E74F18B87. html

• 2. Re: Captions
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The "Crawl" Presets will give you just that, a "preset" Crawl. If you want to customize the Pan of the Title, you can do that by Keyframing the fixed Effect>Motion>Position. This will allow you to "follow," or otherwise control the horizontal motion of the Title.

This control is accessed from the Effects tab, and then through Edit Effect, with your Title Selected in the Timeline. You will see the fixed Effects (automatically added to each Clip by the program), and then twirl open the Motion Effect, where you will see Scale and Position. In your case, you would Keyframe just the Horizontal Position.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Captions
              lakeswalks Level 1

Thank you - both very useful answers. i_dream_of_jeannie's answer perfectly did what I was looking for and also played with Hunt suggestion which I'll be able to use in future videos.

I have two follow on questions:

1 - When the video rendered, on a couple of occasions I'd forgotten to delete original 'add text' caption which comes up on the screen and just added my own in various places around the screen. The video rendered. Now when I go back to the timeline, I cannot seem to select the text so as to delete it. It will let me add or delete additional text, but not text after render. Is there any way of getting rid of that or do I just delete my freeze frame section and start again!

2 - The freeze frame technique as described worked fine and I left the freeze at the default time of 5 seconds. I added caption and rendered. The only slight problem is that the text caption stays on the screen about 3/4 of a second longer than the freeze frame, so that the captions are still there for a short while the movie has started to play again and pan. Is there any way of changing the length of time the title stays on for, or should it already just be staying on for the 5 seconds to match the freeze frame? I tried 'grabbing' the timeline and pulling it to the right to slightly lengthen the freeze frame, but that also lengthens the time the captions are on by the same amount.

Any thoughts on the above greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lakeswalks

• 4. Re: Captions
                i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

To answer your questions :

1. You shouldbe able to double click on the 'Add Text' in the Monitor and when you see a selection boundary, just delete it.

2. To make the title a little shorter, on the timeline just select the Title track, take your cursor to its end and drag it to make it shorter. Probably you can zoom in the timeline so that it will be easier to see it.

Let me know if this helped.