4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 9:16 AM by dbusse1701

Adobe Patching / Versioning / sanity checks...

d.c1ph3r

All right... Psyche...   Unlike the title, it seems Adobe knows nothing of these things...  Am about to lose the plot with Adobe nothing anywhere, ever, should be as tiresome and soul sucking as not only over-frequent patching cycles, but the seemingly infinitely deep capacity for Adobe to make it neigh on impossible to maintain a linear and eloquent patch maintenance plan...

I can't figure out is that despite their OOB patches, their security updates and their major quarterlies... I would assume that these patches would all likely affect the same files... e.g. the Quarterlies would have all the rollup / cumulative patches of the interim OOB, security patches...  Why then is it always a case of one patch type breaking another???   Wouldn't it be easier to do some sort of hash or version check so that any increased or newer patch could be applied to an older source... Sure it might mean patches might get a little bigger, but it would also mean that I wouldn't have to start at a raw .msi and patch up incrementally if I would like to have the most recent patches available at any given time...

Have a GPO deployed Reader 9.3.4... Got the 9.4 package and patched the original 9.1 msi up to 9.4, as there was no way I could seemingly get it to apply to my 9.3.4 distribution point...

Now I get the message...

"Setup has detected that you already have a more functional product installed.  Setup will now terminate..."

Hmm... Last I checked 9.4 > 9.3.4 according to standard versioning rules???

Any ideas because I grow weary of this fiasco?

• 1. Re: Adobe Patching / Versioning / sanity checks...
          Svensson_E

Having the same issue in my environment.

Have 25000+ clients installed with 9.3.2 and above. And I´m not very happy to uninstall the full application and then apply again.

Anyone with a solution?

• 2. Re: Adobe Patching / Versioning / sanity checks...
            deepak_sisodia

As you have written-  "patched the original 9.1 msi up to 9.4, as there was no way I could seemingly get it to apply to my 9.3.4 distribution point...".

So it looks like you are not creating the Reader 9.4 AIP package correctly.

Since Adobe Reader 9.4.0 is a full installer. So there is no need to patch earlier AIPs.

Just create a fresh Adobe Reader 9.4.0 AIP from Adobe Reader 9.4.0 msi directly.

(http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/498/cpsid_49880.html)

You may Download Reader 9.4.0 msi from http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi

OR

you can extract the msi from the exe available from Reader Download center- http://get.adobe.com/reader

• 3. Re: Adobe Patching / Versioning / sanity checks...
              d.c1ph3r Level 1

Well for what its worth...

If you get the standalone package from the Adobe ftp site...

AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi (42Mb)

You can seemingly roll this over top of 9.x...   So while it isn't as elegant as an incremental patch, this uninstalls old versions and installs 9.4.0 straight up.... Will likely take awhile, or at least longer that an incremental but at least blessedly this is already in .msi format, and doesn't require and manual uninstalls, command-line-fu, or scripting to force an overwrite.

So a decent resolution with only slight pain and discomfort.. ;-)

Off to do some test GPO deployments now to ensure I am not just pipedreaming...

Cheers.

• 4. Re: Adobe Patching / Versioning / sanity checks...
                dbusse1701

If you're pushing the install via GPO or SCCM and having problems, check your event logs. I ran into these messages when trying to use the MUI from the "official" patch page:

Product: Adobe Reader 9.1 MUI -- Setup has detected that you already have a more functional product installed.  Setup will now terminate.

Confirmed that I was using the 9.4.0 files, so clearly something didn't get updated by Adobe on the versioning.

Once I grabbed the exe off the FTP, pulled out the install files, updated our mst mods, updated packages, and pushed via SCCM, the update worked fine.

This also begs the question why Reader needs what amounts to a reinstall as opposed to Acrobat getting just an MSP this time around. I'd love to know.