5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2006 10:42 PM by Opera Rat

saving user info

Opera Rat Level 1
      What kind of file type is best to save user information and test scores? I don't want the user to be able to get into the file and change their test results. I've only worked with .txt files and anyone can get into them.
        • 1. Re: saving user info
          Level 7
          You could encrypt a (text) file using Buddy API, or you could use vList
          (the full version enables strong encryption)
          • 2. Re: saving user info
            Opera Rat Level 1
            Are either of these extras good for creating an install.exe package? And where can I find instructions on how to create one of these CD auto-run installation programs? I have know idea on how to begin.
            • 3. Re: saving user info
              Level 7
              > Are either of these extras good for creating an install.exe package?

While you /can/ use Buddy API to create a projector that can perform
              some usual installation routines, there are dedicated - and free -
              alternatives, like NSIS

> And where
              > can I find instructions on how to create one of these CD auto-run installation
              > programs?

Having a CD auto-run is reliant on an autorun.inf file specifying which
              application to launch *and* the user having this ability enabled on
              their machine.
              • 4. Re: saving user info
                Level 7
                As Sean indicated, using a prebuilt installer will probably save you a
                lot of time and frustration. I have written loads of my own installers
                using BuddyAPI, and if you are very comfortable with using that xtra,
                then go for it. You can do anything you need with it, like copying
                files to the hard drive, adding uninstall info to the registry, letting
                users choose the place to install to, etc. But since NSIS is free and
                does all the same stuff, that is probably a better option.

Making an autorun CD is super easy, at least for PCs. Bear in mind that
                there is no such thing as autorun for OSX, so you can't do it on a Mac.
                But for the PC side of things, just make a text file in the root of
                the CD named 'autorun.inf'. In that file is this text:

[autorun]
                open=filename.exe
                icon=filename.exe
                label=nameOfCD

Obviously, change the names of things to match your project. For
                maximum compatibility, your filenames should not exceed 8 characters
                (plus the 3 character extension). The icon line is optional and can
                point either at an exe file (using the icon of that exe) or an ico file
                (using the icon in that file instead). It is important that there be NO
                SPACES anywhere in this file. So, for instance, THIS IS WRONG:

open = filename.exe

Also, make sure that your projector name has no spaces or punctuation
                apart from _underscores_ and periods are only used to separate the
                filename from the extension, nowhere else.

It is important to note that by default all Windows machines since at
                least Win3.1 come with autorun enabled, but many users (especially in
                security conscious corporate environments) will disable that. It is
                therefore NOT guaranteed to work on all machines. One of the 1st things
                I do when I install Windows is disable autorun because I personally find
                it super annoying.
                • 5. saving user info
                  Opera Rat Level 1
                  Thanks guys. With your explanations I'm able to do this.