9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 8:33 AM by Mylenium

Particle Question

edi_singer

Hello AE community! I'm new here, and i apologize if this question has already been aswered, but i've been searching the forums for like an hour and i found nothing!

Is it possible to make a text (a name, converted in masks in A.illustrator, copied and pasted in AE) to be 'born' from particles? From the beggining to the end, then fade out? I don't know how to describe it exactly with words, but i want it to look like particles write the text!! I have also aplied till now, 3d stroke and shine effect so it looks pretty good. Thnx in advance...

• 1. Re: Particle Question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can paste masks to position data which is pretty  much all you need to do - paste the mask into the emitter position, then adjust the timing to coincide with your stroke effect.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Particle Question
            edi_singer Level 1

If i understood right, u say that if i parent the emmiter xy position to the mask position then i'll get a 'particle letter' for example E.

I tried to parent it but the masks have no xy positions!

p.s. i have all masks (which are letters created in Ai) on a solid layer!

• 3. Re: Particle Question

I didn't say parent, I said paste. Select the mask, copy it to the clipboard, select the target position property and paste. All anchor points of the mask will become keyframes squeezed into a 2 second interavl, so you only need to stretche them out and adjust the timing to match your other stuff.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Particle Question
                edi_singer Level 1

Mylenium thnx for your help but im not so advanced to fully understand what u r meaning. if u dont mind, and if its not trouble to you, can u describe the steps?

i copied a mask from the first letter from the solid layer which is pasted, but i dont understand WHERE to paste it! pls help...

• 5. Re: Particle Question
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Using particles is highly advanced stuff on so many levels.

We're describing common operations that use a mask's shape as a position or potion vector, but not a vector image, which, all by itself is confuins.

If you take a few more hours or days to work through some basic positional manipulation, you will be able to understand how an emitter's positioncan be controlled over time by pasting in a mask's shape.

This stuff if NOT easy but it's once you make a few conceptual leaps in how AE works, you can make rapid progress. .

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Particle Question
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read carefully what he wrote. He told you where to paste it: the position property you're attempting to change.

This page may help.

As a beginner in After Effects, I would suggest you check out the (free!) resource here. It is specifically designed to help you get up to speed on the basics in AE.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Particle Question
                      edi_singer Level 1

guys thnx for the help!!

i read and read and read until i get to some level like you! its a damn hard software to learn.. but wtf, im gonna learn it eventually, cuz im crazy about videos and fx!!

another question: is it possible that particles (like stars for example) from a random position in a composition, to take a specific place over the timeline  and form a letter (wich obviusly is a mask shape) in all its shape??

for example, the letter E is invisible in the beggining but over the time is becoming visible because 'stars' are pulling closer and closer into it until they stick on it and then, in the end we got a 'E' from stars!! kinda magnet or something like that...

• 8. Re: Particle Question

another question: is it possible that particles (like stars for example) from a random position in a composition, to take a specific place over the timeline  and form a letter (wich obviusly is a mask shape) in all its shape??

The most common approach to doing that is to time-reverse an explosion effect that originates from the shape of the letter/ logo/ what have you. This wil lrequire pre-composing the explosion, then reversing the resulting layer in the parent comp.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: Particle Question
                          edi_singer Level 1

I understand what u mean!!! its like the video plays backwards!

hey Mylenium, i found this article http://library.creativecow.net/articles/mylenium/particular_fae.php
                          of yours which is very helpful but still i dont understand it fully. got some reading ahead!!! thnx for the help bro!!