27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2011 9:15 PM by funn1bunn1

Centre Finder

richard L1 Level 1

It would be useful if you could find the centre of a shape quickly without having to laboriously measure with the rulers. It's possible to make guides with the select tool but of course they disappear from the screen if you click outside them

• 1. Re: Centre Finder
          retouchMOJO Level 1

Richard... here's a workaround:

Select the object then choose Edit/Free Transform

Under the View menu, be sure that Snap is checked.

Now, in the same menu, bring up Rules.

Drag a vertical guide out of the ruler and it will snap to the center 

point in the transform bounding box.

Do the same with a horizontal guide.

Now hit escape to cancel the transform.

You now have guides that are perfectly centered on the object, and to 

which other objects can snap to.

I hope that helps... I know it's a bit convoluted, but it works, and 

you'll get fast at it if you master some keyboard shortcuts! Michael

• 2. Re: Centre Finder
            Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

You don't need to use Free transform to do this. If Snap to Layers is activated - then any Guide dragged from the ruler will snap to the centre as well as the outer points of any layer.

• 3. Re: Centre Finder
              retouchMOJO Level 1

Yes but not on center of an object on a layer that may be position off center.

Pixels in... MOJO out!

<excessive advertising removed>

• 4. Re: Centre Finder Tool/Dividers
                richard L1 Level 1

Ideally you would drag over the area to be measured (similar to the select tool) and when you release a temporary marker would appear in the centre. Input a number to divide the area into more than one unit. ie. type in 4 to create 4 equally distanced markers. An adjustable grid that can be moved around the canvas area.

• 5. Re: Centre Finder
                  richard L1 Level 1

The crop tool has a centre point as well, it's a bit difficult to position accurately unless dragged between 2 guides at each edge of the object. C key, position the guide/s at the centre, and escape.

• 6. Re: Centre Finder
                    PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

V (for the move tool) with "show transform controls" on (in the option bar) will give you the center of a layer, even for a vector shape.

• 7. Re: Centre Finder
                      Gary Politzer Level 2

Nice! I never noticed that move tool option. Very convenient.

• 8. Re: Centre Finder
                        richard L1 Level 1

I see, you can select the area and then press V for the transform controls, Cheers, this was a really useful tip.

• 9. Re: Centre Finder

Glad it helped! It means that the function is not easily discoverable...

• 10. Re: Centre Finder
                            Jennifer R. Pippins

Great tip PECourtejoie. Thanks!

• 11. Re: Centre Finder
                              emil emil Level 4

Michael Lamy wrote:

Yes but not on center of an object on a layer that may be position off center.

Pixels in... MOJO out!

<excessive advertising removed>

Dragging guide will snap in the horizontal and vertical center of any layer with any shape positioned on any place.

• 12. Re: Centre Finder
                                emil emil Level 4

PECourtejoie wrote:

V (for the move tool) with "show transform controls" on (in the option bar) will give you the center of a layer, even for a vector shape.

With this option V is equivalent to  Ctrl + T. The difference is only in the additional options in the Options bar.

• 13. Re: Centre Finder Tool/Dividers
                                  emil emil Level 4

richard L1 wrote:

Ideally you would drag over the area to be measured (similar to the select tool) and when you release a temporary marker would appear in the centre. Input a number to divide the area into more than one unit. ie. type in 4 to create 4 equally distanced markers. An adjustable grid that can be moved around the canvas area.

I hope someone understands you what your are trying to achieve, because I have no idea

• 14. Re: Centre Finder
                                    Paul Riggott Level 6

If there is only one object on the layer this script should do the job....

#target Photoshop
                                    main();
                                    function main(){
                                    if(!documents.length) return;
                                    var startRulerUnits = preferences.rulerUnits;
                                    app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;
                                    var res = activeDocument.resolution/2;
                                    doc=activeDocument;
                                    var LB = activeDocument.activeLayer.bounds;
                                    var Width = LB[0].value +((LB[2].value - LB[0].value) /2);
                                    var Height = LB[1] +((LB[3].value - LB[1].value) /2);
                                    guideLine(Width, 'Vrtc'); 
                                    guideLine(Height, 'Hrzn'); 
                                    preferences.rulerUnits = startRulerUnits;
                                    }
                                    function guideLine(position, type){
                                        var desc27 = new ActionDescriptor();
                                            var desc28 = new ActionDescriptor();
                                            desc28.putUnitDouble( app.charIDToTypeID('Pstn'), app.charIDToTypeID('#Pxl'), position );
                                            desc28.putEnumerated( app.charIDToTypeID('Ornt'), app.charIDToTypeID('Ornt'), app.charIDToTypeID(type) );
                                        desc27.putObject( app.charIDToTypeID('Nw  '), app.charIDToTypeID('Gd  '), desc28 );
                                        executeAction( app.charIDToTypeID('Mk  '), desc27, DialogModes.NO );
                                    };

• 15. Re: Centre Finder Tool/Dividers
                                      richard L1 Level 1

I was basically looking for ways measure distance. I was actually designing a comic strip using Photoshop and wanted to divide the page into equal distances without doing a calculation and thought some kind of centre finding tool might be useful. The thing about the grid is that it is fixed which works well with the page as a whole but if you could move it around the screen it may be easier to measure parts of the screen or shapes. It was only an idea which admittedly might be better suited to another application (or not at all). I thought a moveable grid might be good for looking at weather systems or photo fit.

• 16. Re: Centre Finder Tool/Dividers
                                        emil emil Level 4

If I understand you correctly Photoshop does what you want. I've never needed to do that myself, but I just checked it out, and if you follow these steps you can check it yourself.

First create a new blank image and make sure the Grid is displayed - View > Show > Grid or alternatively press Ctrl + '   (the apostrophe key).

Ctrl + K to open the preferences, and then Ctrl + 8 to get to the Guides, Gid & Slices screen.

In the Grid section for the unit of Gridline Every, choose Percent.

In the Subdivisions fieled type 1.

For the value of Gridline Every, type a percentage number that makes desired grid divisions - for example to divide the canvas in 4 equal rectangles type 50. This also works with odd number of divisions too but on the canvas size I tried it, the grid fits better if the infinite number is rounded to the next number. For example if you want grid with 3 divisions type 33.4 instead of 33.33333333333333 etc.

To move the Grid on the image move the Zero Origin of the ruler. In case you don't know how, check the manual, here is a link to that part:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-74cba.h tml

• 17. Re: Move the grid on the image
                                          richard L1 Level 1

Thanks, yes thats what I was talking about. I meant, as a suggestion, having the ability to change the outline size of the grid and drag it around the screen in the same way you position a ruler on a page might be a useful feature.

• 18. Re: Move the grid on the image
                                            emil emil Level 4

Based on your reply I think you missed the fact that the steps I described in my previous message are how Photoshop can currently do that for you.

You were supposed to follow these steps and see how this is currently possible in Photoshop.

I wouldn't waste my time describing a feature request with that level of user interaction These steps were meant for you to try.

• 19. Re: Move the grid on the image
                                              richard L1 Level 1

Lucky you've got time to waste.

• 20. Re: Move the grid on the image
                                                emil emil Level 4

Your replies don't make it clear if following my suggestions helps achieving what you want from your feature request.

And if you don't give a clear and proper feedback about solutions suggested from other people, I don't think anyone will pay attention to your feature requests.

I didn't waste my time.  I spent my time to help you which also helps me to practice and expand my problem solving skills when using software like Photoshop. So, even if you are not taking advantage when I'm trying to help you I'm still benefiting from my time spent here.

cheers

• 21. Re: Centre Finder
                                                  function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

emil emil wrote:

PECourtejoie wrote:

With this option V is equivalent to  Ctrl + T. The difference is only in the additional options in the Options bar.

Yes, but in CS5, V can be held down just to switch to that tool, drag the ruler, and continue with your previous tool...

CTRL+T is modal, one would need to commit.

And I do agree that by helping, we are learning!

Do you visit other fora?

• 22. Re: Centre Finder
                                                    emil emil Level 4

PECourtejoie wrote:

...Yes, but in CS5, V can be held down just to switch to that tool, drag the ruler, and continue with your previous tool...

CTRL+T is modal, one would need to commit...

I think in that respect both are the same when you are transforming. Let's say you are using a brush, press Ctrl + T, transform, apply to commit, and you back with the brush. Holding V while using the brush will let you only move without committing but not when transforming and you can move without that option on.

PECourtejoie wrote:

...And I do agree that by helping, we are learning!

Do you visit other fora?

Yes, recently mostly the Photoshop forums but I'm a user of mulitple Adobe products so I'm regular around here

• 23. Re: Centre Finder

Not to nitpick, because we are generally in agreement, but here, the point was to find the center, maybe drag a ruler, and not apply a transformation...

In another case, I'd suggest CTRL+T...

Happy photoshopping!

• 24. Re: Centre Finder
                                                        emil emil Level 4

Oh, I see what you mean by "drag a ruler" - create a guide by dragging from the ruler and snapping the guide to the center point of the transform box.

Yeah, with Ctrl + T that would be pressing the Esc key after dragging the guide. So it is basically Holding V vs. pressing Ctrl + T and then Esc to achieve the same. The second choice may be preferable for those who don't want to see the transform handles every time they move something. But the handles may be preferable for those who want to make sure what is about to be moved in a complex multi layered image.

Cheers

• 25. Re: Centre Finder

Whhops, drag a guide, sorry!

Many ways to skin a cat, indeed!

enjoy!

• 26. Re: Centre Finder
                                                            Rokeby Wilson Level 1

An option to centre a grid rather than start it on the left would sort this out very simply, wouldn't it?

( my workround goes like this- I don't need to find the centre of an area within a file, but often need to find the centre of the file as a whole- I do this by using the line tool and making diagonals- a quick solution but it does mean you end up with more layers, and if you change the proportions of the file you have to do it again.

If I want horixontal/vertical axis guides through the centre I just drag guides from the ruler until they hit the centre cross made by the two diagonals.)

• 27. Re: Centre Finder
                                                              funn1bunn1 Level 1

This is very helpful! I never know this exists. This save me a lot of time because I use transform a lot.