15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 12:05 PM by rickg1949

The file is busy, and unable to be updated

rickg1949 Level 1

Just started getting an error message for each HDV clip captured today saying "The file is busy, and unable to be updated."  And saving and moving ahead to next batch clip seemed much slower.  Nothing has changed in system except for Windows updates.  I had to load a 3rd party CODEC package to view HDV mpeg's in Bridge a while back.  Think that could be the culprit?  Clips did capture and play in Premiere, but it feels odd.

rg

• 1. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
          jeremy d. Level 3

Where are you seeing that message (OS, Premiere), and what are you trying to do when it appears?

• 2. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
            TradeWind Level 3

I just recently started having this issue as well, although I'm on a newly configured system as of a week ago.

I do know that there was a post here recently that indicated an issue with the "write XMP metadata to file on import" option (in the media preferences). Unchecking this box seems to solve the problem, but also leaves you with potential metadata problems if you make extensive use of the metadata fields for your clips.

• 3. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
              rickg1949 Level 1

I was doing a basic HDV capture like always for the last 10+ years using Premiere.  First time to see this "File busy...." thing.  And Premiere seems sluggish and does not show video in capture window on desktop while logging.  I know it does not show during capture.  Getting worried that I need to uninstall Master Suite, run the "cleaner" and reinstall.  Now that business is a bit slower, I might have time.

Still trying to figure out if this is related to my Bridge preview problem http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652660?tstart=0 and the 3rd party CODECs I had to install to correct that.????

Almost wish I was back at the smooth operation of CS4 just before I updated.

rg

• 4. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Wait a sec... you installed K-lite on your edit system? Bad, bad, bad move. I understand the desire for thumbnails and playback in Bridge, but you almost undoubtedly have borked Premiere by installing these third-party codecs and splitters. Any time you see one of those icons pop up in the system tray, one of the splitters, demuxers, or decoders installed along with that codec pack is accessing a file, and more than likely is preventing you from making changes to that file.

I'd start by removing that codec pack, though K-lite tends to send its tendrils pretty deep, so a complete reformat of your system may be your only salvation. These "all-in-one" codec packs are really bad medicine and are roundly discouraged if stability in production work is desired. These codec packs are designed (I'm using that word very loosely) to play back the multitude of videos--generally pirated--that you'd download from torrent, not for editing professional-level video. You take your fate into your own hands the moment you install a codec pack--hate to sound all foreboding, but this is sort of like blowing up your house when all you needed to do was paint it.

• 5. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Installing the K-lite package was recommended by an Adobe employee on the Bridge forum.....

• 6. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                    rickg1949 Level 1

Ann,

Thanks for reminding me of that!  Colin has "made my day" with those words that I expected to hear.  My situationis that I need Bridge so much that I needed to get it working.

Is nothing easy these days?  Love all the bells and whistles of Master Suite so much and live with it every day, just wish it would return the love.

rg

• 7. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Installing the K-lite package was recommended by an Adobe employee on the Bridge forum.....

I don't care; it's terrible, shamefully bad advice. While that may work for Bridge, it's a really bad move for Premiere. You don't chop off your arm when you've got a hangnail--you trim the hangnail. Installing K-lite will get rid of the hangnail (previews in Bridge), but it will also prevent you from doing anything that requires two hands (editing efficiently in Premiere). I know there are some folks that will swear that these codec packs do no damage, but (my opinion) that's a completely misguided dillusion. Once you throw that variable into the mix, all bets are off and it immediately becomes the first suspected culprit whenever issues arise in your video editing program.

• 8. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                        TradeWind Level 3

I don't care; it's terrible, shamefully bad advice. While that may work for Bridge, it's a really bad move for Premiere.

+1 on that.

I use Bridge enough myself, but I'd never install the codec pack just to preview in Bridge. The Adobe employee on the Bridge forum isn't taking a broad enough view, or perhaps just isn't aware of the potential issues that can be caused by the recommendation.

A minor inconvenience (albeit for a format that I also rarely encounter) but I'd still avoid it. 90% of my time is spent in PPro, so my system is optimized for that application.

• 9. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                          rickg1949 Level 1

Sadly, I cannot help but agree with you.  I never had to add anything to the mix for any previous versions of Production Suite or Master Suite (except for required updates and patches) to have a great set of tools.  Oh the pain to clean my system will be great.

I have vowed that this will be my last upgrade, only hope I can make it a good one.

rg

• 10. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks, Christian. I agree--the lack of expected functionality is a bummer, but there's also no such thing as a free lunch. The desire for thumbnails is understandable, but would be better served by making a feature request, rather than carpet bombing your system with what I'd go so far as to call "pretty viruses."

Think I'm being extreme? Maybe. But check out the disclaimers/warning/red flags over on the VideoHelp.com "Codec Packs" download section:

codec-packs.png

Four of the five entries there come with this note: "Warning! If you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer." Arguably, it should be all of them; ffdshow is just as bad.

Rick, I know you get this, and I'm really not trying to berate you. I'm just trying to put as much damning evidence as possible in this thread to hopefully thwart other users, present and future, from resorting to one of these codec packs. Your pain, someone else's gain

• 11. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Installing the K-lite package was recommended by an Adobe employee on the Bridge forum....

Please, give me the link. I need to deal with that.

• 12. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

^^^^^ It's up in the fourth post in this thread ^^^^^

• 13. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks. I responded on that thread on the Bridge forum in no uncertain terms: Don't install the K-Lite codec pack if you value the functioning of your video applications.

• 14. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks, Todd. There are several of us over here in the Premiere forums who harp continuously regarding these codec packs, the virtually irreparable damage they often do, and the inevitable issues they create. Hopefully, it means more coming from somebody sporting that big "A" avatar...

• 15. Re: The file is busy, and unable to be updated
                                      rickg1949 Level 1

Well, people:  I have uninstalled CODEC package, backed up Adobe stuff, deactivated, uninstalled, cleanered, and ready to re-install Master Suite.  That took 2.5 hours.  Going to look for any residuals from K-lite crap then re-load the suite.  Wish me luck.  rg