8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2010 1:03 PM by Jim_Simon

DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons

shooternz Level 6

I am exploring DL workflows.

Previously I was bit more of a fan for the simplicity of intermediates but Win7 , MPE, 64-bit etc has made me include DL in my workflow

If someone can give me some thoughts on this question please.....

Is there an advantage using DL  ? (ie for an AEFX comp in a PPRO sequence)...

over...simply importing the comp into PPRO as an asset. 

This "importing workflow" reflects any saved changes to the comp so I am wondering why I would bother with DL

Appears to me there are a number of ways to skin this cat.  I am trying to understand them all.

• 1. Re: DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

When you import a Premiere Pro project into After Effects, elements of the Premiere Pro project have to be converted into their nearest equivalents in After Effects. In many cases, this conversion is... um... imperfect. In many more, no conversion happens and you just get nothing for that element.

The conversion that is done for importing a Premiere Pro project is exactly the same (i.e., uses the same code) as that for copying from Premiere Pro and pasting into After Effects. Therefore, these tables for the results of copying and pasting are also useful for knowing the details of the importing workflow.

Internally, we consider that path to be the less desirable path, and so less attention is paid to it than to Dynamic Link. Dynamic Link tends to get the new features and polish these days.

So, what about Dynamic Link?

Dynamic Link has 100% perfect fidelity, with no conversion problems for image data. (Well, it should, anyway.) Why? Because there is no conversion happening for image data. In the case of linking from Premiere Pro to After Effects, a "headless" version of Premiere Pro runs in the background, rendering frames and giving them to the After Effects client as needed.

So, what's the downside? Well, you have at least one extra application instance running when you're using Dynamic Link, and that headless application has to be processing and handing off frames for every linked sequence or composition, so the performance hit can be serious in some cases. This got a lot better in CS5.

Of course, the simplest method (though the one that eats time and disk space) is rendering and exporting intermediate movies. I still do that in some cases.

There's more about the ways to move data between these two applications here.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons
            shooternz Level 6

Thank you for your comprehensive answer Todd

Much appreciated.

Craig

• 3. Re: DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons
              shooternz Level 6
              When you import a Premiere Pro project into After Effects, elements of the Premiere Pro project have to be converted into their nearest equivalents in After Effects. In many cases, this conversion is... um... imperfect.

What is the reverse of that?   ie Importing an AEFX comp into PPRO (as an asset)?  My tests look great in this regard.

BTW: I am not looking for a single "solution or workflow"  I will still use many.  ("horses for courses" type of thing.)

• 4. Re: DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> What is the reverse of that?   ie Importing an AEFX comp into PPRO (as an asset)?  My tests look great in this regard.

That actually invokes Dynamic Link. (Dynamic Link is creeping into more and more of these operations.)

The reverse is to save a .prproj out of After Effects and open that in Premiere Pro---or to copy and paste from After Effects into Premiere Pro.

• 5. Re: DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons
                  shooternz Level 6

Sorry Todd

Are you saying that when I simply import a  MYFILE.aep  (and choose the relevant comp) as a PPRO asset and do nothing else... that automatically invokes DL?

Craig

• 6. Re: DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                    > Are you saying that when I simply import a  MYFILE.aep  (and choose the  relevant comp) as a PPRO asset and do nothing else... that automatically  invokes DL?

That's what I'm saying. Notice that there's an AfterFX.exe visible in Task Manager, even if all you apparently have open is Premiere Pro.

You can even see "Connecting to Dynamic Link Server..." in the Import After Effects Composition dialog box.

On the bottom of this page, you can see the green chainlink icons that say that an item in the Project panel is dynamically linked.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons
                      shooternz Level 6

No wonder it works so well.

Very very cool.

Thanx again

...especially for the reference links.  There was time I would have gone to the "Manual".

It just aint the same going to the PDF (valuable as they maybe in the end.)

C

Message was edited by: shooternz

• 8. Re: DL or import AEFX comp - pros & cons
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

So it appears that both your methods are actually the same method.