17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2010 5:03 AM by nealeh

AVI Playback

Tom_GIS

I created a screen capture video using CamStudio. The video created with this program works fine and plays back well in Nero and windows movie maker for instance. When I add it to Premier Elements it plays back all grainy and pixelated. I tried converting it to a DV-AVI in Windows Movie Maker as suggested but that made it even worse.

In CamStudio video options were set to CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.4 and another time as a microsoft video but it didn't seem to matter in Elements. I have a couple of 19" monitors and i do not think this has anything to do with it. Resizing the playback window does not seem to matter.

I just want to do some real simple editing and adding a naration. I am able to add naration but I can hardly tell what I was doing on the screen.

I am pretty sure i have the latest drivers for the video card.NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT drivers 6.14.11.9745

The operating system is XP and it is all up to date.

• 1. Re: AVI Playback
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some useful tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: AVI Playback
            Tom_GIS Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for the links to previous related forums etc. I am new to video editing and I can see there is a ton to learn. (a lot more than I had anticipated) I will have to find some new corners of the brain to stuff all the new arcane technical info in.

Tom

• 3. Re: AVI Playback
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Why not start out then with my free Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

They should get you up and running with the basics.

• 4. Re: AVI Playback
                VDOSurfer Level 3

Two things:

1. Do you see a red line on top of your clips on the timeline (Switch to timeline, if not already done)? If you do, I would suggest add just one clip to the timeline and see if it takes you to a correct project without a red line.

2. When there, right click on the monitor and select Playback Quality and select "Highest"

Let us know if this works.

• 5. Re: AVI Playback
                  nealeh Level 5

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: AVI Playback
                    Tom_GIS Level 1

Thanks for the reply(s) Sorry for the delayed response. I will check it out. I noticed that unlike Premier Elements, Microsoft Movie Maker while still making the movie low res and supper pixilated looking on playback before exporting but at least exports it out as a WMV just fine. So there is something about the playback settings the detail is in the original file. The files out of CamStudio are avi files In the settings for video I am using CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.4 I read that thread on converting to DV-AVI already and tried that and on export that does not fix the problem. I just tried again converting the Camstudio file in MS movie maker to DV-AVI and then importing that into PRE. If anything it is more pixilated. The option to export out the Camstudio avi file after adding it to the timeline to convert it to a DV_AVI is grayed out. I am not a movie expert so have mercy.

• 7. Re: AVI Playback
                      Tom_GIS Level 1

Yes there is a red line even with only one clip and there is no red line when I import an avi file converted to a DV_AVI file however it is still pixilated. Not quite sure what you are talking about with the monitor. When I right click in the movie area I have the option of changing playback settings.  One of those options was to choose the monitor only now when I went to check the options on that there is a window border with no contents coming up now. (it did not change the playback quality but just added a second large view in the second monitor) In other words the program needs to be shut down and turned back on again - some kind of bug. It crashes or hangs an awful lot. I realize that editing movies is some pretty high end stuff in terms of hardware processing power and code but still......my machine and graphics card aren't that old ... maybe they are? I have to run XP for some legacy GIS programs I have. I have a new widows 7 laptop and have not tried doing this work on it. Maybe I should. I am also curious about the new Windows Live Movie Maker. Although no doubt not as powerful as PRE maybe it will do what I want without being as fussy.

• 8. Re: AVI Playback
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The challenge with Cam Studio is that, although it produces AVIs, these AVIs use a non-standard codec that many video editing programs have trouble reading.

It sounds as though MovieMaker is able to work with these files even though they don't look good until the program outputs. But that's to be expected with these non-DV codec AVIs.

• 9. Re: AVI Playback
                          nealeh Level 5

Tom_GIS wrote:

The option to export out the Camstudio avi file after adding it to the timeline to convert it to a DV_AVI is grayed out. I am not a movie expert so have mercy.

If you are using PRE8 or PRE9 the File> Export features are only used for titles. The option to save as DV-AVI is now on the Share tab.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: AVI Playback
                            nealeh Level 5

Tom_GIS wrote:

I am also curious about the new Windows Live Movie Maker. Although no doubt not as powerful as PRE maybe it will do what I want without being as fussy.

I recommend Windows Movie Maker 2.6. It has more features than the 'Live' version and allows you to export as DV-AVI (which is perfect for PRE). Although described as 'for Vista' it works on both XP and Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit versions).

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale

• 11. Re: AVI Playback
                              Tom_GIS Level 1

Thanks for the follow up Steve and Nealah, I will let you know if I find any other easy work-arounds.

• 12. Re: AVI Playback
                                Tom_GIS Level 1

FYI CamStudio avi files do not import into Windows "Live" Movie Maker at all. They just show up kind of grayed out with a big exclamation point in a yellow sign icon like a warning street sign.

• 13. Re: AVI Playback
                                  Tom_GIS Level 1

It looks like Adobe has a vested interest in making CamStudio files not work with their products when they sell Captivate that sells for over $500. What times zero equals $500? It is a lot more expensive. Camtasia is $300. There must be some sort of conspiracy going on.

• 14. Re: AVI Playback
                                    nealeh Level 5

You may need to install the CamStudio codec: http://camstudio.org/ in addition to the recording software itself.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: AVI Playback
                                      nealeh Level 5

I've just installed CamStudio 2.6beta (that includes a newer codec, version 1.5), recorded some Internet browsing, loaded it to PRE7 using PAL-DV-Standard 48kHZ, rendered, and exported to .wmv.

No problems at all.

If you haven't already done so go through these basics:

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.8 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                                      • Run Disk Cleanup.
                                      • Run Defragmenter.
                                      • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.
                                      • Use the GSpot Codec Information Utility to analyse the file and post screen image.
                                      • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

[EDIT]

I've been playing around and have got better results by recording with the Lagarith Lossless Video Codec and setting both my application window and the recording region to 720 x 576 (PAL). This produces a DV-AVI Type 2 file that is perfect for PRE - as can be seen in this GSpot screenshot:

1.png

[/EDIT]

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

Added [EDIT] section

• 16. Re: AVI Playback
                                        Tom_GIS Level 1

Neale,

After going to the 2.6 beta version of Cam Studio with the 1.5 codec and making sure I had the latest Quick Time, the videos did seem to have a much better playback when added to the timeline.  When I record at 320 x 240 in CamStudio the play back is the best so far in Premier Elements. When recording at 640 x 480 the playback is better but still too pixilated looking. I am not sure what you are talking about "loaded it to PRE7 using PAL-DV-Standard 48kHZ ". I am not seeing any options like that for Premiere Elements. The only way I am familiar with is to go to "Get Media" then "PC Files and folders" Also I am not seeing any export options other than NTSC Flash Video under the share tab and then clicking on the Personal Computer option where you just do the usual browse and then select files.

My machine is pretty up to date in terms of windows updates (those are live and so often they are annoying) also general PC health items like cleanup and defrag. I installed the latest drivers for the video card recently as well. I am just running MSFT Security Essentials for security.

Anyway the playback is much better but I am not seeing the import and export options you are talking about.

When you are talking about using headbands to analyze "the file" are you talking about the final WMV file? If so I need to figure out how to export as WMV with PRE Elements first.

Thanks for all the help so far. I feel like I am over extending my welcome with the online help.

Tom

• 17. Re: AVI Playback
                                          nealeh Level 5
                                          • When you create a new project, you select a Project Setting. I used PAL-DV-Standard 48kHZ.
                                          • The Get Media> PC Files and Folders is the way to get the clip into the PRE organizer
                                          • You then drag the clip to the project timeline.

As I said, I was only playing around and the CamStudio clip, although identified as DV-AVI, had some unusual sar and par (see towards bottom right of Gspot image above). So even when loaded to PRE I did receive a redline on the timeline and needed to press [Enter].

Basically PRE *CAN* produce good output from CamStudio but you do need to do some work in matching your capture region and settings to your Project Preset and experiment with different codec settings.

Note that when first run, CamStudio uses the Microsoft Video 1 codec. This could produce results, but from my (minimal) testing, the Lossless Codecs give better results.

A final consideration is the player you use. Here are stills from both the VLC Player (left) and DivX Player (right). The DivX player clearly gives a better result.

2.png

Headbands GSpot is a utility to analyse  a video file and provide information on it audio and video codecs. You can get it from the link I gave earlier.

Missing export features are most usually due to a failure to spot the scroll bar in the PRE Tasks Panel.

3.png

4.png

As I said, you will need to do some experimentation to find best codecs, capture regions and settings. Perhaps you can post back to share your eventual best setting.

As an aside, why must you get the video into PRE as CamStudio itself can convert to flash?

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale