7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 6:18 PM by shooternz

Spot Removal

jimclark1947 Level 1

In Photoshop there is a very handy tool for removing spots in the sky due to dust on the lens or sensor.  I have a similar need with a video clip and wonder what is the best approach to spot removal in CS5??

• 1. Re: Spot Removal
          shooternz Level 6

Can you post a picture?

( but I would suggest Clone in AEFX)

Maybe there is a solution with a garbage matte in PPRO

• 2. Re: Spot Removal
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Craig.

It could be possible to "borrow" some similar sky and replace the spot with PiP and the Track Matte Keying Effect - or maybe not. It will depend on where the spot is, and what you have to draw from.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Spot Removal
              jimclark1947 Level 1

You can see a rather large round dark spot in the right corner of the image.  That is easily removed in Photoshop but I haven't a clue where to start with CS5 tools.  I haven't had After Effects for several years (didn't upgrade when I moved up from Premiere 6.5 a couple of years ago) so that's not an option for me.  If there is a tutorial you can direct me to that might help with this issue please let me know.

Air Force Museum Sequence.Still001.jpg

• 4. Re: Spot Removal
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You seem to have plenty of clean sky to work with. I'd drag another instance of your Clip to the Video Track above. Use the fixed Effect>Motion>Position, to locate some clean sky over the spots. Then in either PS, or even the Titler, do a Track Matte, placing it on the Video Track above the two Clips. I like PS, as I can get more adjustment, but all you care about is a white Filled Shape with no Stroke. You will probably want to add some Blur to the Track Matte. You want your Track Matte to only "see" the area of clean sky from the second Instance of your Clip.

For a TUTORIAL on Track Matte Keying from about PrPro, this will give you the basics, and you can fill in the blanks. Instead of "softened skin," you only want clean sky.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Spot Removal
                  jimclark1947 Level 1

Got it.  Thanks Bill.  Much of this is sounding familiar from many years ago.  I haven't done much more than some very basic editing with Premiere Pro over the past 6 years, being dedicated mostly to still photography for stock work.  But I've recently taken a new interest in video and having to relearn stuff I used to know when working with Premiere 6.5 and After Effects.  It will come back quickly I'm sure.  Thanks for the link.

Jim

• 6. Re: Spot Removal
                    shooternz Level 6

You are lucky . Thats a simple one to fix.

Including Bills fine suggestions... there are many ways.

Is this a static camera or moving?

• 7. Re: Spot Removal
                      jimclark1947 Level 1

The particular clip that frame grab came from was somewhat static but there was a pretty long zoom going from a wide shot of the jet to closeup.  The spot is visible in pretty much the same location throughout though, so I will give it a try using the tutorial example Bill offered.  Nearly all of the remaining clips are pretty clean, or the background doesn't show the spot, so I will be able to live with the rest of it.  Just not where there is sky in the picture.

If you have other ideas for a solution I would like to hear them as well.  I need to get back into learning this quickly.