29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2011 8:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

MissMoppett Level 1

I've just upgraded from Prem 7 which didn't recognise my Canon Legra HFS10 called (by Canon) "the flagship of the pro-consumer camcorders." Barely containing my excitement I shot a few clips and went to Get Media to be confronted with some extra choices. Going to the obvious "HDV Camcorder" – which it is, though with flash – this refers to tape. So onto the next "DVD camcorder" – a new description to me – no, not recognised. Well it's only been out 18 months . . .

However trawling these forums I came across a similar problem posted for Prem 8, a version that I've kept shy of, and there Steve recommends going via "Files and folders."

For the benefit of others can I confirm while clumsy this does work. Just follow "My computer > Canon (G in my case) > AVCHD > BDMV > Stream and the .mts files will be sitting there . . . impatiently.

One day perhaps, Mr Adobe will build in recognition of this pretty popular camcorder?

• 1. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You are using the wrong project setting for this camcorder, Moppett. This is an AVCHD, not an HDV camcorder.

You should be selecting the 1920x1080 AVCHD project preset.

As we've indicated before on this forum, you must also shoot in FXP or MXP mode in order to edit this video in Premiere Elements.

Once you've done that, you should connect your camcorder to your computer via USB and then use Get Media/AVCHD camcorder to download the video via the Video Importer.

I assure you, on a properly configured computer, this system works just fine with version 9.

• 2. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
            MissMoppett Level 1

Ah . . . thanks. Will try. Do you never sleep? Don't you have a bosom of a family to go to?

• 3. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

You're right, Miss Moppett! Sometimes I think I do spend more time on my forums than I do with human beings!

Oh well. Hope I can help out.

• 4. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                MissMoppett Level 1

PLEASE IGNORE my first (rubbish) post. When you go to re-open the project Prem El 9 can't find the .mts file, at least without reconnecting the camcorder, by which time you've probably deleted them. The bus has gone. And I'm still trying to find how to delete projects which you can't do in Prem 7, at least without going to Win Explorer, yet it was promised in Prem 8?

• 5. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

Well, you do need to keep the camcorder connected to Premiere Elements until the Video Importer downloads the video files to your hard drive. Once you've done that, you can then, of course, delete the video from your camcorder.

As for deleting your old projects -- you're right. You can't do it with a feature in the program.

However, as I show you in my books, there is an easy way to do it.

Whenever you start a new project, create a new folder for it. This will ensure that your project file, your captured video files, your auto-saves and your preview/render files will all be in the same place as you edit and build your project.

When your'e all done, deleting the project, as well as all of its supporting files, is as simple as deleting that folder.

• 6. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                    MissMoppett Level 1

Theoretically yes (re finding previous old .mts files), BUT to my surprise after closing and then reopening the project I got a message calling for "where are the ooooo .mts files?" . So I don't know.

• 7. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

If you are using the Video Importer to get the video off your camcorder, what are you choosing for the video's destination on your computer? Is it some place other than you C drive?

• 8. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                        MissMoppett Level 1

"Get Media" does not recognise the  Legria AVCHD even though I've changed the project settings to what you suggest. So I will have to do what I did with dear old cranky Prem 7, ie first create a new folder using Win Explorer, then Canon's Image Mixer to upload from the Canon to these blank folders. V silly.

Incidentally you can shoot with this camera in MXP, FXP, XP+ (which I normally use), SP and humble LP.) Only the first two record in HD (1440 x 1080px). As I don't have an HD TV I never use them.

PS I should have added that I shot a sample clip in FXP to see whether Prem 9 did recognise the Legris, but it doesn't. I presume this is back to the old argument with Adobe when I first bought this camera. Adobe said "they couldn't be expected to keep up with all cameras out there, while Canon said it's nothing to do with us." We're only the poor consumers.

• 9. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

I'm not sure what the program isn't seeing your camcorder when you've got it connected via USB (You do have it the camcorder turned on and set to VTR, right?) -- but your way will work too.

As I said above, though, the program is only set to work with that camcorder's footage when you're shooting in hi-def AVCHD -- and then when you've got your project set up for AVCHD.

You can experiment with the standard def (640x480) formats, matching it to one of the DSLR 640x480 project presets in Premiere Elements. It may be worth trying.

But, for better or worse, the program is only sure to interface with that cam's footage when it's AVCHD.

• 10. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                            MissMoppett Level 1

Well, this is just a re-run of what happened with the same camcorder and Prem 7. As I've said above, I got the impression from Adobe that recognition was not based on the file format but some coded key unique to that model camera, ie "we can't keep up etc." Well that's what they told me (I'll chase them again). Disappointing, as when I bought the Legria it was one of the first AVCHD quality camcorders around and I accepted Adobe's answer, but we're now a year down the tracks.

But you're the expert.

• 11. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

As I said, Miss Moppett, this program will work with the AVCHD hi-def video that that camcorder produces.

If that's note happening, then we should look more deeply into it.

• 12. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                MissMoppett Level 1

I've emailed Tec Support: please return to the bosom of your family.

• 13. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                  MissMoppett Level 1

Adobe Tec Support now say "I would request you to connect the camera with the firewire, the camera
                                  might not supoort usb connection. Connecting the camera with firewire should resolve the issue."

1 My 12 month old PC does not have a firewire socket. I believe you can get a USB convertor but is that likelyto help?

2     Why should I spend money on something that should work in the first place?

• 14. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

I'm not aware of any AVCHD camcorder that needs a FireWire connection, Miss Moppett.

In fact, if the specs I found online are accurate, that camcorder doesn't even have a FireWire outlet.

• 15. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

BTW, is the USB port you're plugging into your computer by any chance shared with another USB device? (Two different jacks may be on the same USB card but share the same essential port.)

In other words, is there any other USB device plugged into your computer right now?

• 16. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                        MissMoppett Level 1
                                        1. It has a USB, HDMI out and component out. Are you suggesting that the mighty Adobe Tec Team don't know what they're talking about?
                                        2. I have tried uploading to different USB port but again see "no supported device has been detected."
                                        • 17. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

But, Moppett, do you have any other USB device attached to your computer?

(And, yes, I think the Adobe tech is grasping at straws -- and, in this case, is quite wrong.)

If you'd like to drop me a private message, maybe we can set up a Skype session and see if we can work through this together. (I don't usually do this, but you've been very patient and have worked with me throughout this thread.)

• 18. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                            nealeh Level 5

I think their techs may be confusing the limitations of DV Cameras with other devices. Here is what they say about DV cameras:

DV Camcorders including miniDV camcorders.

We recommend that you connect DV devices using FireWire/1394. 

To connect DV camcorders using USB2 instead of FireWire, verify whether your DV camcorder supports USB Video Class 1.0 driver (also called USB over DV, DV Motion, USB 2.0 DV streaming). Most DV Camcorders do not currently support this driver.

The older USB streaming format common to many DV camcorders does not support sending video in the DV format over USB, and so, is not supported in Adobe Premiere Elements.

There are no such USB caveats against their list of other supported devices:

AVCHD Camcorders; HDV Camcorders; DVD Camcorders; JVC Everio and Everio G Camcorders; Flip and similar memory based camcorders; Mobile Phones; Digital still cameras; Webcams; WDM cameras;

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale
                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 19. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                              MissMoppett Level 1

I have taken out every other USB device except  . . . mouse and keyboard but still doesn't recognise. I have plugged in the camcorder USB to front panel socket alone which presumably is separate from other USBs.

It's kind of you to offer a Skype but I think to be fair to Adobe I'll await what they say first.

• 20. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                                MissMoppett Level 1

For those panting on the edge of their seats for what is happening here, Adobe Tec Support suggested I delete and reinstall. Well I did – always do what teacher says – but still does NOT recognise my camcorder. I get the impression they are thrashing around. Is there anyone out there with a Canon Legria HFS10 (AVCHD) who has cracked this one please?

• 21. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                                  MissMoppett Level 1

Steve if you're reading this: I've gone back through the last spasm notes I had with Adobe Tec Support when I couldn't get Prem 7 to recognise the same camera back in Jan 2010. Their reply was (eventually): "we would like to inform you that as the camera is not supported at this point of time and we cannot provide support for each and every camera that is available into the market." In other words they say that it is to do with the model of camera, and you seem to be saying, unless I misunderstand you, that it's not the camera but that it produces AVCHD codecs?

The last epistle was to get me to set up new users via CPanel, but surprise surprise this did not work either.

• 22. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

As I've said before, Miss Moppett, sometimes Adobe tech support says things that we disagree with and vice versa. It's up to you who you want to believe.

But, if you ask me, I think they're taking you the wrong direction. You should be able to edit this video, if it was shot in FXP or MXP mode and you are using a matching project preset.

If you'd like, you can post to the Community forum at http://Muvipix.com. I know there are a couple of Canon HF series users there. They can tell you about their real world experience.

• 23. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                                      MissMoppett Level 1

Adobe Tec Support have today at last admitted to me that PE9 does not  support my Canon HFS10. Premier Pro does and "maybe Adobe will issue an  upgrade one day". So the workround suggested above gets round it.

• 24. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                                        MissMoppett Level 1

I have just remembered that Adobe Tec Support have confirmed that PE9 does NOT support this camera, ie you cannot import footage via "Get Media" no matter how convoluted your attempts. They say they hold A LIST of models that are supported. Pity some Adobe collegaues were not aware, nor some subscribers to this forum that A LIST exists. Maybe they might consider posting the list here or somewhere outside of the Pentagon so we could all stop wasting time and getting on with our work?

• 25. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                                          jeffgedgaud Level 1

Thank you for your post, this is the main issue I have with Adobe and their Elements products, they do not like to admit that some camcorders are not going to work with their products and should freely have this added to their packaging. Many people are buying Premiere Elements and having problems from the start with it but Adobe still insists, as do many on this forum, that you can "easily make great looking movies." but many are not having that same experience just because they are trying to use a camcorder that is not on theiur supported list.

• 26. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                                            nealeh Level 5

If its of any help the list of supported camcorders can be found here: Supported devices | Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Cheers,
                                                            --
                                                            Neale
                                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 27. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution

Also, Adobe has made a great effort, in version 9, to support a much wider variety of camcorders. And that's commendable. There are a few more major formats they ought to support -- but at least they've made a real effort.

But Adobe can hardly be blamed for the fact that camcorder manufacturers just keep coming up with new, proprietary codecs. Some of the new pocket camcorders, for instance, use brand new, freshly invented codecs. If that video only works well in the editing program that comes with the camcorder, that's the camcorder maker's problem.

Likewise, people are always trying to edit video from DVRs, FRAPS video, Divx, Xvid and video downloaded from the web. Premiere Elements is designed to edit camcorder video. Not anything that moves.

BTW, this discussion is nearly 6 months old. It's probably a good idea to start a new discussion for this topic.

• 28. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                                                jeffgedgaud Level 1

Adobe has only added a handful of devices to their list of camcorders, but the main issue is not what is supported it is the fact that they do not clearl

y advertise on their system requirements that many camcorders will not work. If people knew the fact that their camcorder may not work they may not be as mad when they have to use a different program. I am not mad at Adobe for what they are supproting, they should make it a lot more understandable when they claim their program is the number one selling video editor yet they do not explain in clear simple language to amateurs that their cameras may not work.

• 29. Re: Prem 9 doesn't recognise Legria HFS10 (AVCHD), but there is a solution
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, in defense of most companies, that produce video-editing software, most are on a 12 - 18 mo. development schedule. The camera mfgrs. are on a shorter schedule. CyberLink, Adobe, Magix, et al, try to keep current, with the camera releases, but will always be behind the curve. One notable exception is Sony. As they both develop cameras, and editing software, they can be much more current, for their camera lineup - the development teams share much more easily. If Sony is working on a new, or retooled CODEC, it's easy to be sharing that development with the Vegas team, just down the hall, or across the campus. The rest of the NLE companies, do not get to see the new Sony CODEC, until it's delivered, and then it is probably too late - more catch up.

It's the exact same thing in the still market. Each camera mfgr. is busy working on a new version of their RAW code. At least here, things are not quite as complicated, as with video CODEC's, and also, Adobe has their ACR modules for Camera RAW for Photoshop. They just issue updates for ACR, that includes the code for the latest Camera RAW version. One might have to wait a month, until their newest of the new Nikon, Canon, etc., is included, but then it's just a module, that Adobe has to write, and not an entirely new program.

One thing that would benefit Adobe, and PrE users, would be the inclusion of the Desktop Preset, like in PrPro, that allows one to customize many of the attributes of the Project to match the specs. of the source files. I have filed a Feature Request for every version of PrE, since 4.0. However, this will ONLY address the physical properties, and NOT the CODEC, if it has been recently developed, or tweaked. Still, a step in the right direction, and very helpful. However, I do not know what it would cost Adobe to include that capability, and they do have a set price-point, that they must hit. It's easier with PrPro, since it costs 6x as much as PrE does.

And before someone runs off thinking that I am recommending PrPro for a broader range of editing, let me state that the reason that I bought PrE was because it handled more consumer-level footage, than does its "big-brother." For new formats/CODEC's, PrE is usually ahead of PrPro in what it can work with natively - it just could use that Desktop Preset to allow for customization of most general parameters.

It might benefit some potential users if Adobe had a statement to the effect, "you might encounter issues with your particular make/model of video camera... " but I am not sure that would be a good marketing tool. They do list "certified" equipment, but that list will always be much shorter, than the list of all cameras, that will work. New models will always be coming out, and the camera mfgrs. will always be attempting to get higher-quality, smaller files, etc., from their new cameras. Those "improvements" might limit the buyer, with regard to editing that footage, but most users do not edit - they hook the camera to a TV to display, or just upload the un-edited material to some sharing site. So long as they get an image, they are happy. It is but a small portion of the buyers, who want to edit, and most camera mfgrs. do offer some simple editing utility. It's only an issue, when one wants more, that they can hit the "ceiling."

It's a fine line, that any NLE software company must walk. I do not envy them that task.

Hunt