3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2010 6:26 PM by pwillener

Unable to open Adobe Reader 9.4 after installing

wiseandwonderful

I am unable to open Adobe Reader 9.4 after installing. When I click on the desktop icon it gets to the point of looking for the digital signature and then nothing happens. If I try and open an existing pdf file the same thing happens. I have had this problem also with all the previous 9.3 versions. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. For the previous versions from memory it was doing the same thing but telling me as an error message it could not find the DDL Server. or some other D** server it was looking for. I have tried reinstalling several times and rebooting. I think the problem is related to Windows 7 and the 64bit issue. Can anyone please help?

• 1. Re: Unable to open Adobe Reader 9.4 after installing
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

The error that you are receiving could be being caused by an antivirus/antispyware or a  firewall that is preventing Acrobat from connecting to some other  process it needs to connect to.

Can you please check your antivirus  configuration to see if there is something you can modify to let Acrobat  run and establish DDE sessions without problems. If you cant find any such setting try turning off the aniti virus for some time, and then try launching Adobe Reader.

Please refer to the following posts for more discussions on the same:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/392875?tstart=0

Hope this sorts out your problem.

Thanks

Ankit

• 2. Re: Unable to open Adobe Reader 9.4 after installing
            wiseandwonderful Level 1

Hello Ankit,

Many thanks for your suggestions. However, I had already tried this on several previous version of Adobe Reader and just now again with 9.4 but this still does not fix the problem. It seems to stop working at the point where it starts to varify the Digital Signature after clicking on the Adobe 9.4 Reader Icon on the decktop. I am using and up to date version of McAffe as my VP. I think also that the Win7 security (you don't really want to do something with our Win7 software do you?)  may also has something to do with the problem. I have also tried a less restrictive Win7 protection and still the same result. I notice that quite a few other users also complain about the same type of problem but with no comment from Adobe only that it works with Win7 64 bit. I have seen other users claim they can only use it in a 32 Bit mode with Win Explorer etc. Any other ideas? It's also very annoying that Adobe do not provide any direct online access to their support staff via the web to support their products so one can fix the problem. Instead they rely on users to fix their own problems amonst themselves for their software that does not work or where users have problems with there product.

I will post this on the forum as well as my response.

Cheers,

Peter.

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 23:39:03 -0600

To: [email address deleted by host]

Subject: Adobe Reader Unable to open Adobe Reader 9.4 after installing

Hi,

The error that you are receiving could be being caused by an antivirus/antispyware or a  firewall that is preventing Acrobat from connecting to some other  process it needs to connect to.

Can you please check your antivirus  configuration to see if there is something you can modify to let Acrobat  run and establish DDE sessions without problems. If you cant find any such setting try turning off the aniti virus for some time, and then try launching Adobe Reader.

Please refer to the following posts for more discussions on the same:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/392875?tstart=0

Hope this sorts out your problem.

Thanks

Ankit

>

• 3. Re: Unable to open Adobe Reader 9.4 after installing
              pwillener Level 8

There are quite a few other support options beside this forum; see http://www.adobe.com/support/reader/

I have by now installed Reader 9.4 on a few different Windows 7 (64-bit) machines, and I have never seen this problem.  If I could recreate the problem I could debug it, but I can't.

Can you check if there is anything in the Event Logs that would indicate what is happening when Adobe Reader fails to open?