9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 3:38 PM by JCoppell2

HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?

VanZoso24

Hi,

I recently purchased and installed Adobe CS5 Premiere Pro.  My system can more than handle it, but I'm having a problem capturing with my JVC GY-HD110U Camera.  I'm logging the clips and then batch capturing, but Premiere seems to completely ignore my in and out points.  Some clips will be shorter, some will run all the way to the end of the tape for no reason.  I can't choose this camera in the settings.  Is there a way to download additional drivers or something?  This used to work fine in CS4.  I really need to figure out a way to capture with this camera.  I've got a big project that needs completed, but I can't get started until the tapes are properly captured.

Thanks for the help,

John

• 1. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
          VanZoso24 Level 1

More details:

I'm using Windows 7 64 Bit

Adobe CS5 Production Pro

JVC GY-HD110U

Capturing HDV through Firewire

(Used to work fine with CS4)

Please help.  Thanks again!

• 2. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

You might check out the following thread, and see if it pertains to what you're experiencing:Scene Detect Not Working in CS5

• 3. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
              VanZoso24 Level 1

Thanks,

I looked into it and it appears that others using JVC devices had similar problems capturing.  But it does not seem like anyone had a solution.  I just updated my camera's firmware, and that had no effect.  Not sure what the deal is, but not being able to batch capture in and out points sucks big time.  Like I said the camera has worked with the exact same settings on CS3 and CS4.  But no dice with CS5...

Anyone else have any suggestions?!

• 4. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I don't think you can create batch lists, but HDVSplit will use time-of-day to split clips into scenes. Do you still have CS4 installed? What about using that to capture?

Until and unless this gets addressed with an update, this is likely to be a persistent issue in CS5, unfortunately.

• 5. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
                  VanZoso24 Level 1

Kind of crazy...

Is the camera just too old now, and they don't feel like supporting it.  Must be a bug somewhere...

I do still have CS4 installed.  Maybe I can capture in there and then open the project in CS5.  Any recommendations on the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks for any advice you can give

• 6. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    Is the camera just too old now, and they don't feel like supporting it.  Must be a bug somewhere...

I don't think it has anything to do with the age of the camera; it's definitely a bug of some sort, or some level of miscommunication between the JVC hardware and the software. I won't tell you what JVC stands for

I do still have CS4 installed.  Maybe I can capture in there and then open the project in CS5.  Any recommendations on the best way to go about doing this?

You can do just that; start a CS4 project, capture, and then either open or import the CS4 project into CS5, or just import the footage into CS5. Assuming you're doing no editing in CS4--just capturing--importing the captured files is probably the best approach.

• 7. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
                      VanZoso24 Level 1

Lol, I can only imagine what JVC stands for...

Thanks, I guess that's the best I'm going to get.  I'll try capturing in CS4, and then import the clips into CS5.

It's always love hate with Adobe

• 8. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

It's always love hate with Adobe

Preach on, brother. Preach on.

Good luck!

• 9. Re: HELP: Does CS5 Support JVC GY-HD110U?
                          JCoppell2

I'm having problems with a JVC HD200 UB as well. Premiere doesn't detect scene changes.  About half of my clips have sound/video sync problems.  Video seems to be 6 frames earlier than the audio.  Also, today I'm working on a video with a second audio added to the timeline.  All sounds fine when I play it back in Premiere but when I use the media encoder to encode it to H.264 for Vimeo the resulting video makes the second audio track sound like an echo.  This totally doesn't make sense to me.  -- wasted about three hours today trying to make it work....  When I captured and edited from the same JVC HD200 on Final Cut Pro I had no problems.

I had hoped I could test this combination before buying the CS5 package but the trial software doesn't do HDV at all.  Guess I'll have to do as others have mentioned and buy something like Pinnacle to capture the video.