13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2007 12:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

Problem with OSControl xtra

wgb14 Level 1
      Hi all,

I have this rather unusual problem with the OSControl Xtra. I recently paid for it $160 (a price which is extremely high for me as I am student). Unfortunately i had to format my computer and I completely forgot to write down my director's serial number (the control was locked with the particular serial number). Also, the original email containing the serial number was lost in my first virus attack several months ago. Now, in order to activate director again I had to buy a new serial... and this is where the problem begins... the company refuses to activate the control again using my new serial and they are asking me to either pay another $160 dollars or to upgrade to their site license (thats almost $500) or to spend more money to buy an older copy of Director. This is the worst customer support that I have seen, and I must say that I will suggest everyone I know to avoid them at all cost... and you know what they say... loose one customer and many more will follow... Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

PS1: Because of this I had to stop my developments and start looking for an alternative solution.... a solution tat will cost me more money and more time...
        • 1. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
          McFazstp Level 1
          Did you register the xtra in any movie scripts that you can refer back to?
          • 2. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
            Level 7
            The OSControl xtra is unlocked via a key file that is placed in the same
            (authoring) folder as the xtra. It is tied to the serial number of the
            copy of Director being used or is a site-license key
            • 3. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
              Level 7
              I think we can all understand what a tough spot you are in, but you also
              have to look at it from their perspective. It's no different than if you
              bought a TV from the store and then later accidently dropped and broke it.
              Would you expect the store to replace it? You had pay for a new Director
              license, but don't indicate that you expected them to give you a
              replacement.

I have to agree, the OSControl is a bit pricey, especially for
              non-commerical projects. However James (the creator of OSControl) is well
              known on these boards and has contributed a huge amount of time, code and
              his deep Lingo experience with the community. In all fairness he deserves to
              be compensated. I know of no alternative means of creating standard OS
              controls that is on par with his xtra.

I wish I had a good suggestion for you, but I don't.

• 4. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                Level 7

"wgb14" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:f7ls3d$agu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi all,
                >
                > I have this rather unusual problem with the OSControl Xtra. I recently
                > paid
                > for it $160 (a price which is extremely high for me as I am student).
                > Unfortunately i had to format my computer and I completely forgot to write
                > my
                > director's serial number somewhere (the control was locked with the
                > particular
                > serial number). Also, the original email containing the serial number was
                > lost
                > in my first virus attack several months ago. Now, in order to activate
                > director
                > again I had to buy a new serial... and this is where the real problem
                > begins...
                > the company refuses to activate the control again using my new serial and
                > they
                > are asking me o either pay another $160 dollars or to upgrade to their
                > site
                > license (thats almost $500) or to spend more money to buy an older copy of
                > Director. This is the worst customer support that I have seen and I must
                > say
                > that I will suggest everyone I know to avoid them at all cost... and you
                > know
                > what they say...have one unhappy customer and many many more will
                > follow... Any
                > thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.
                >
                > PS1 My development has now stopped due to this problem and I must look for
                > other solutions that will cost me time and more money....
                >
                >

Hi back,
                ehm.... I dont want to sound too harsh, but what happened to your backups?
                You did not copy the serials to a safe place? You did not print them?
                You formatted your harddrive without backup?

Thats not good. In fact... that is totally NOT good.
                It is not fair to say "worst customer support", because YOU lost the keys.

And also, think about this:
                You might give yourself a bad name for posting this here.
                Or DID you make backups of your work files and projects?

Regards,
                Richard.

• 5. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                  Level 7

"LOOPING_Richard" <root@localhost.not> wrote in message
                  news:f7mj9t$7hl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >
                  > "wgb14" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > news:f7ls3d$agu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> Hi all,
                  >>
                  >> I have this rather unusual problem with the OSControl Xtra. I recently
                  >> paid
                  >> for it $160 (a price which is extremely high for me as I am student).
                  >> Unfortunately i had to format my computer and I completely forgot to
                  >> write my
                  >> director's serial number somewhere (the control was locked with the
                  >> particular
                  >> serial number). Also, the original email containing the serial number was
                  >> lost
                  >> in my first virus attack several months ago. Now, in order to activate
                  >> director
                  >> again I had to buy a new serial... and this is where the real problem
                  >> begins...
                  >> the company refuses to activate the control again using my new serial and
                  >> they
                  >> are asking me o either pay another $160 dollars or to upgrade to their
                  >> site
                  >> license (thats almost $500) or to spend more money to buy an older copy
                  >> of
                  >> Director. This is the worst customer support that I have seen and I must
                  >> say
                  >> that I will suggest everyone I know to avoid them at all cost... and you
                  >> know
                  >> what they say...have one unhappy customer and many many more will
                  >> follow... Any
                  >> thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.
                  >>
                  >> PS1 My development has now stopped due to this problem and I must look
                  >> for
                  >> other solutions that will cost me time and more money....
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  > Hi back,
                  > ehm.... I dont want to sound too harsh, but what happened to your backups?
                  > You did not copy the serials to a safe place? You did not print them?
                  > You formatted your harddrive without backup?
                  >
                  > Thats not good. In fact... that is totally NOT good.
                  > It is not fair to say "worst customer support", because YOU lost the keys.
                  >
                  > And also, think about this:
                  > You might give yourself a bad name for posting this here.
                  > Or DID you make backups of your work files and projects?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Richard.
                  >

PS:
                  Contact me directly, look on looping dot nl
                  Maybe I can help you with the OS Controls.

Richard.

• 6. Problem with OSControl xtra
                    wgb14 Level 1
                    Hi all,

Thanks for your posts.

<<However James (the creator of OSControl) is well
                    known on these boards and has contributed a huge amount of time, code and
                    his deep Lingo experience with the community. In all fairness he deserves to
                    be compensated. >>

Ok, so for his contributions and to be fair against him, I have to pay (in total) $320. If I was a full time employee in a big company trust me I wouldn't have any problem... but i am a full time studet and I have to get deeper into loans to replace this unfortunate mistake... where is the fairness in this situation??

<<Or DID you make backups of your work files and projects?>>

I am only taking backups of my work files and projects... I keep my serials where I receive them in my email Inbox... but as i said although i thought that i had this serial in my email backup it was not there... it was propably lost in my first virus attack several months ago....

<<It is not fair to say "worst customer support", because YOU lost the keys.>>

I have been working with Director and several xtra companies for a very long time... Usually, when something like that happens a company allows the customer to reactivate their product AT LEAST ONCE MORE.. or if that is not possible they give his money back. In this case, i have been refused both (no new license... no money back). If this is a good customer care,,, then i guess i should through away ALL my university books!!!!!!!!! If it was a standard policy for each company to ask for the price of the software twice everytime a user lost a key/activation code, then the software sector would have been DEAD a long time ago...

<<Contact me directly, look on looping dot nl
                    Maybe I can help you with the OS Controls.>>

I am not sure what you mean, but i did send you an email at info at looping dot nl
                    • 7. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                      Level 7
                      >>Unfortunately i had to format my computer and I completely forgot to write
                      >>my
                      director's serial number somewhere

If registered, Adobe Customer Service should be able to help you with you
                      original serial number

• 8. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                        wgb14 Level 1
                        <<If registered, Adobe Customer Service should be able to help you with you
                        original serial number >>

I got the serial from an external supplier (other than Adobe) and I never register it with Adobe.
                        • 9. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                          wgb14 Level 1
                          Well, I guess i should close this post (it is the best place to have it after all). Thank you all for your suggestions. One thing to say however... the unfairness of the whole situation is extreme and I sugest everyone in here to be very carefull in their dealings with the OSControl xtra creators. It is really the first time in my life that I paid such a HIGH price for a product (for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes) and when something goes wrong to get OBSOLUTELY NO support.
                          • 10. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                            Level 7

"wgb14" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            news:f7n756$1bb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > Hi all,
                            >
                            > Thanks for your posts.
                            >
                            > <<However James (the creator of OSControl) is well
                            > known on these boards and has contributed a huge amount of time, code and
                            > his deep Lingo experience with the community. In all fairness he deserves
                            > to
                            > be compensated. >>
                            >
                            >
                            > Ok, so for his contributions and to be fair against him, I have to pay (in
                            > total) $320. If I was a full time employee in a big company trust me I
                            > wouldn't
                            > have any problem... but i am a full time studet and I have to get deeper
                            > into
                            > loans to replace this unfortunate mistake... where is the fairness in this
                            > situation??
                            >
                            >
                            > <<Or DID you make backups of your work files and projects?>>
                            >
                            > I am only taking backups of my work files and projects... I keep my
                            > serials
                            > where I receive them in my email Inbox... but as i said although i thought
                            > that
                            > i had this serial in my email backup it was not there... it was propably
                            > lost
                            > in my first virus attack several months ago....
                            >
                            > <<It is not fair to say "worst customer support", because YOU lost the
                            > keys.>>
                            >
                            > I have been working with Director and several xtra companies for a very
                            > long
                            > time... Usually, when something like that happens a company allows the
                            > customer
                            > to reactivate their product AT LEAST ONCE MORE.. or if that is not
                            > possible
                            > they give his money back. In my case, i have been refused both (no new
                            > license... no money back). If this is a good customer care,,, then i guess
                            > i
                            > should through away ALL my university books!!!!!!!!!
                            >
                            >
                            > <<Contact me directly, look on looping dot nl
                            > Maybe I can help you with the OS Controls.>>
                            >
                            > I am not sure what you mean, but i did send you an email at info at
                            > looping
                            > dot nl

I did not see any mail.
                            I bought the controls some time ago, dont use them anymore, but I am not
                            sure if I can sell or give you the licence.

Or want to, after this post... Will you come after me next time you lose the
                            serials?

Good luck,
                            Richard.

• 11. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                              McFazstp Level 1
                              What were you using the OSControls for? There are probably free alternatives.
                              • 12. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                                wgb14 Level 1
                                Hi everyone,

Finally the company has decided to forget my mistake and give me a new licence for my director... so i guess i was wrong about their customer support. I must apologize for my aggresive tone in my messages, but I become so fraustrated by their initial answer that i didn't know what to do or to whom to talk to... this forum has always been a place that I get answers to almost all my director related problems. So... a BIG THANKS to everyone that took the time and answer this post and a second bigger THANKS for all the help that you have provided me during the years. Director community is really one of the best in the net and I am glad that I found this forum.... MANY MANY thanks
                                • 13. Re: Problem with OSControl xtra
                                  Level 7
                                  And a big THANKS to the distributors of the OSControl xtra (James Newton
                                  and Openspark) for helping you out!