5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 12:39 PM by Colin Brougham

AME CS5, H.264 & Flip Factory Commercial Servers

FelixUnderwood Level 2

I recently upgraded to CS5 and output a Premiere Pro Sequence in my usual H.264 mpeg 4 file forat only to have it rejected by a TV station that has accepted many commercials in the exact same file format in CS4. In fact, I even created a preset in CS4 that I exported into CS5. I verified that all of the settings were the same. I deal with a lot of TV stations and sure enough, the file failed on another station that uses the Flip Factory commerical server. Fortunately I was able to successfully get the comercial aired by outputting the sequence to a Quicktime, and mpeg 2s also work. It's just the H.264s are not only the smallest file size, I've found they even look best on the air. So, my question is, any thoughts on why these spots aren't working in Flip Factory? Or better yet, what changed in CS5 from CS4 that would cause such a problem? Adobe employees are welcome to chime in on this one, for the fewer of us who do broadcast production with Premiere Pro that get blindsided by this, the better.

• 1. Re: AME CS5, H.264 & Flip Factory Commercial Servers
          Colin Brougham Level 6

So, the spots were rejected due to something within the file, not due to technical standards (luminance levels, audio levels, etc.), correct? If so, there is obviously something that changed in the encoding to warrant the FF spitting the file back out.

Do you still have one of the CS4 encodes on hand that you could use for comparison's sake? Use MediaInfo (probably in Sheet view) to analyze the statistics of a CS4 encode and a CS5 encode and see if you can find any discrepencies. Post the results here if nothing seems to jump out at you--I have a theory, but I'll wait to see what you find, first...

• 2. Re: AME CS5, H.264 & Flip Factory Commercial Servers
            FelixUnderwood Level 2

Colin, thanks! The only difference I saw between the CS4 & CS5 files were under First Video Stream: the CS4 file was 4 Ref Frames and the CS5 file was 3. Was this your theory? If so, how do I change this setting during export?

• 3. Re: AME CS5, H.264 & Flip Factory Commercial Servers
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Could you post the content of those two reports, either copy and paste here, or as text file somewhere (you can export a text document from MediaInfo)? Ideally, if possible, it would be most beneficial to look at a report that compares two very similar encodes (maybe the same spot, or a revised spot, if you moved a project forward from CS4 to CS5). Also, if you could, I wouldn't mind looking at your encoding preset; they're found in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\AME\5.0\Presets as EPR files.

The "ReFrames" are reference frames, which are used to build other predicted and bidirectional frames. H.264 has the ability to use multiple reference frames in a GOP, which is why you see 3 or 4 ReFrames in MediaInfo. This minor discrepency shouldn't cause an issue (if anything, the CS5 file should be more compatible), but it's a possibility. I don't think there is a direct way to influence ReFrames with AME; change the Profile and Level will impact this, but I don't know of the exact combinations to achieve a specific ReFrame count. We can experiment with this to see if it's the cause, but I think my other theory is worth testing first--I'll be able to tell you more after I see those reports

• 4. Re: AME CS5, H.264 & Flip Factory Commercial Servers
                FelixUnderwood-Hbfg46

Colin, how do I attach files in this forum? I mean I know how to attach vids & pics. The file format is Excel (.csv).

• 5. Re: AME CS5, H.264 & Flip Factory Commercial Servers
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah, looks like they took that away from us... bummer. I just PM'ed you my email address; go ahead and send them there, and I'll take a look. If you can send the encoding preset too, that would be great.