5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 7:50 AM by VanCityBoy

How much would you pay for Elements 9?

VanCityBoy Level 1

Knowing all the issues/bugs with the latest release, how much would you willing to pay for Adobe Premiere Elements, version 9? In other words, what is the FAIR market value of this release?

• 1. Re: How much would you pay for Elements 9?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sort phrased as a leading question, isn't it, Van City?

Are you asking what would pay for the software that does all that this software does or are you just asking backhandedly how much would you pay for buggy software? (BTW, I'm using the program on an XP, Windows 7 and Mac OSX machine and it runs beautifully on all three.)

For a program that edits video, handles 99 video and 99 audio tracks, includes hudreds of effects including Chroma Key and titling, includes folders for categorizing media in its media panel and can work natively with miniDV, HDV, AVCHD and video from EOS cameras and includes DVD and BluRay authoring, I'd gladly pay $100.

• 2. Re: How much would you pay for Elements 9?
            VanCityBoy Level 1

I don't think it's worth $100...unless it came with your book in a bundle and some raw stock footage .

I recentlyy tried PowerDirector 8 ultra and the only thing that stopped me from buying a full version was the time I invested in learning Adobe software. If I was to start video editing today, I would probably go with PowerDirector. That thing was flying on my machine and had .mkv file support...fully optimized for Intel Core i7, NVIDIA CUDA, and ATI Stream technology!

After trying version 9, I felt that Elements 9 was left forgotten in the shadow of its big brother - Premiere CS5, which is fully optimized for 64 bit OS! The version 9 is stack in times...of 2008/2009 years, and definitely not 2010/2011!

• 3. Re: How much would you pay for Elements 9?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

PowerDirector is very nice. So is Vegas MovieStudio and Magix and even Pinnacle Studio (despite its reputation) -- all comparably priced.

I always urge people to explore alternatives if their first choice doesn't work on their computer. There's nothing to be gained by pounding your head against a wall!

Don't fear the competition, Van City. It's no crime to go for what meets your unique needs.

• 4. Re: How much would you pay for Elements 9?
                nealeh Level 5

VanCityBoy wrote:

I recentlyy tried PowerDirector 8 ultra and the only thing that stopped me from buying a full version was the time I invested in learning Adobe software.

The general principles you have learnt with PRE will be pretty much the same in any other NLE, so your learning curve will be much shorter.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: How much would you pay for Elements 9?
                  VanCityBoy Level 1

Yes, I agree...but it doesn't feel the same.