11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2010 2:10 PM by Cris is Bliss

Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello All,

I've been teaching myself AE, as well as Ps, Ai, and Pre Pro. (Creative Suite 4) 

I'm somewhat comfortable with a couple of the applications but by no  means a master of any.  However, I think that its takes me too long to  do some things, and I believe that I have encounter some problems  because of my work flow and probably could have avoided them if I had  formal training.

It could also be that I don't have a  frame of reference and don't know how long things actually take, and to  me, I just feel like I'm moving slow.  I have been surprised to find  out that a particular music video or special effect that I saw took a  TEAM of people, a MONTH(s) to create.

For those  of you who have gone to school and learned AE (or the other programs)  with an instructor and a planned course, do you think you would have  grasped the program(s) and how to make your creative ideas come to life  on screen as easily if you had not gone to school and learned on your  own?

Now that I am learning a 3D program (Blender) and will  be trying to incorporate AE, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator and  Blender all together, when needed, and I was wondering if there is any  book that deals with the proper workflow. Or is just doing the tutorials  and building up knowledge/skills the way.  Practice makes perfect but  does practice make efficient?  And  I haven't even gotten into the  scripts or expressions YET.

In buying the Creative Suite I had visions of making  MOVIES/videos with all the special effects, flashing lights,  disappearing acts, etc...   and since all these applications came  together in the Creative Suite- its ment for and possible for a person  to do ALL things, by him or herself,  --maybe my thinking is wrong and  one should specialize and get with a team.

Is it that  when one is trying to create a certain effect or look, knowing each  application and its abilities would sort of guide you to the correct  work flow??  But until you know these applications -- Very Well--, its a  lot like stumbling in the dark and trying out different blending modes.

Is there a book that lays out the proper or most efficient workflow.  I  have been reading several booking on AE and also some on Pr Ps and Ai  and doing tutorials on line, and learning Blender on line at  CreativeCow.net  but the books don't teach workflow.

Thanks in Advance

• 1. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
          Tminus10web Level 2

Hi...

I've been taking video based instruction from  Lynda.com, and there are many in depth tutorials on there for all of Adobe's products.   The courses come with example files.   The cost is around $40 per month for unlimited tutorials.

I highly recommend them!   They will get you up to speed in a minimal amount of time, promise!

http://www.lynda.com/Member.aspx

David

• 2. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Cris,

If you're going to cross-post, at least do people the courtesy of providing a link to the various other identical forum threads that you've started. That's just common forum etiquette.

Here's a link to one such thread, on the After Effects forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/735531

And here's what I said to you there:

Just to address one part of your post:

Have  you noticed that the credits for a movie go on for a very, very long  time? And have you noticed how movies are sometimes said to cost  hundreds of millions of dollars to make? That's because visual effects  and compositing work takes a _tremendously_ long time for a large number  of people.

I'm good with After Effects. It's my job to  know how to work with this software. And it takes me hours to do a  single visual effects shot that only lasts a few seconds.

So,  don't think that you're necessarily doing something wrong just because  it's taking a long time. This kind of work takes a long time.

Regarding books that teach workflow: Chris and Trish Meyer's Creating Motion Graphics and Mark Christiansen's Studio Techniques books do. After you've got the basics of the software's features down, dive into these.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
              Cris is Bliss Level 1

Sorry, I didn't know that you guy worked on other forums, When I have AE and Pre Pro questions I will notifity that I have posted the same on each.

• 4. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                could have avoided them if I had  formal training.

That is my mantra.

So get some.

• 5. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
                  shooternz Level 6
                  could have avoided them if I had  formal training.

That is my mantra.

So get some.

Does that mean you can stop learning once you have had formal training?

Hey Chris.

You will never learn it all, you will never know it all and  you will never master it all.

Have patience and keep learning  (enjoy the journey of learning while you are doing it...is my mantra)

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As long as we're giving our mantras...

Don't  jump into the deep end. Learn to float and then swim in the shallow  end. Push yourself, but not too far at once. I spend most of every day  playing lifeguard for people who are drowning because they don't heed  this.

• 7. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
                      shooternz Level 6

To paraphrase Todd..

"dont test the depth of the water with both feet"

• 8. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
                        Tim Kolb Level 1

One unfortunate side-effect of the Production Premium package is that it's one serial# that is designed to be for one user and therefore some have made the leap to the conclusion that one person can be an expert in all those applications...I think it's 11 apps (depending on where you draw the line on what's an app and what's a utility, etc.)  I've actually seen a couple job descriptions in corporate environments written around the contents of the Production Premium software compilation. 

...'workflow' is a pretty deep topic that is hard to learn in abstract.  It's also so wildly variable and evolving so fast that codifying it is pointless.  I started an HD post production book for Focal Press some years ago, but abandoned it as a lack of cooperation and transparency from manufacturers and the sheer velocity of development on all fronts...computers, codecs, displays, cameras...just prevented anything from being complete and timely.

Unfortunately the internet has spawned the idea that if enough of us with 20, 30, or 40 years experience just keep brain-dumping into cyber-space, eventually anybody will be able to somehow 'proxy' all that experience through 3 days of intense Googling.  It just doesn't work that way.

Like most of us, you'll need some time in the chair to be able to really get a handle on what you need to plan for and prioritize as workflow is really specific to everyone's specific circumstances. 

You'll have to start with specific questions, and get specific answers, start to accumulate the answers until they start to connect...then the Googling helps to fill in some gaps...practical experience refines your ideas on what really works and what doesn't, you add that to what you know about your tools...suddenly you're an expert. 

...and usually, the decades it takes to get there fly by pretty quickly.  I have no idea what happened to the last 25 years.

• 9. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For books, I am a very big fan of the Adobe Classroom in a Book for PrPro CS5, Adobe Press. I also have their AE publication, but not for CS5 yet. I did not see that rec. above, and if I missed it, just ignore my post.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I also have their AE publication, but not for CS5 yet. I did not see that rec. above, and if I missed it, just ignore my post.

Since Cris was asking about "workflow", I assumed that beginner materials weren't being requested. The After Effects CS5 Classroom in a Book (CiaB) is certainly for beginners. (Full disclosure: I worked on that book.) I recommend the CiaB as one of the middle steps in my recommended getting-started sequence:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

• 11. Re: Work Flow - Suggestions, tutorials, or Books
                              Cris is Bliss Level 1

That was nicely written, I think your book would have been a good read.  Thank you for that advice.