Help choosing the settings for importing and exporting

blkdrgn18 Level 1

Windows 7 64bit

Intel i7 965

4 OCZ Vertex 60GB RAID 0

GeForce GTX 480

12GB Memory

Canon Vixia HF11

I'm a noob for Premiere and I just got CS5. What settings am I supposed to set for the Sequence Presets? I believe my camcorder is AVCHD at 1080i. There are four choices 1080i25 anamorphic, 1080i25 non-anamophic, 1080i30 anamorphic, and 1080i30 non-anamorphic.

I also want to export the video so I can import it to Encore CS4 or Elements 8.0 to burn it to a Blu-Ray disc. I rendered the whole project and then as a test I chose MPEG2 Blu-ray and left the rest default. I also tried H.264 Blu-ray and the rest default but when playing it with Windows Media Player it looks slighty choppy. Then I burned them to a Blu-Ray disc and played it in my standalone Blu-Ray player it was very choppy. The pictures came out perfect but not the video. Am I using the right setting or is my hardware not setup correctly?

Also as a side note I did the text file hack and typed in my GTX 480 card. I also have a GeForce 8600 GTS in there for my other two monitors but I changed the CUDA GPU to only GTX 480 under the NVIDIA Control Panel. I only use the monitor that hooked up to the GTX 480 for editing. Is this all I am supposed to set?

• 1. Re: Help choosing the settings for importing and exporting
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Make it easy on yourself. Import a clip into your project and then drag and drop this clip on the New Item icon at the bottom of the project panel. That will create a sequence with the correct settings.

WMP is not the correct way to judge the end result. The stand alone player is the way to check quality. What were your export settings in detail, bitrate, i or P, muxed or not, etc.

• 2. Re: Help choosing the settings for importing and exporting
            blkdrgn18 Level 1

I already created my project which took me forever. I don't really want to start over. I read someone else had the same problem so I selected a new sequence and selected 1080i30 (60i) non-anamorphic. Then I copied and pasted my project to the new sequence. Not sure if this worked yet.

I also did what you suggested with one of my small video clips and then selected export. I checked the box that says Match Sequence Settings and it showed below. Did I select the correct sequence settings above?

Output: 1920x1080, 29.97 (fps), Upper, Quality 50

48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit

No Summary Available

Source: sequence, 00001.MTS

1920x1080 (1.0), 29.97 fps, Upper, 00;00;27;00

48000 Hz, Stereo

The export settings that I'm using now is:

MPEG2 Blu-ray

Match Source Attributes High Quality

Output: NTSC, 1920x1080, 29.97 fps, Quality 4.0, Upper

PCM, 48 kHz, 16 bit, Stereo

VBR, 1 Pass, Min 24.00 Target 30.00, Max 36.00 Mbps

Source: Sequence, Disneyland

1920x1080 (1.0), 29.97 fps, Upper, 02;21;01;21

48000 Hz, Stereo

I checked Use Maximum Render Quality. Should I use H.264 Blu-ray instead of MPEG2 Blu-ray? My total video will probably be about 5 hours long and I want to burn it to a Blu-ray disc.

• 3. Re: Help choosing the settings for importing and exporting
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I'm a bit confused on the length of your export and bitrate settings. Is it 27 minutes or 141 minutes?

Check this calculator to find the optimal settings: DVD-HQ  Bitrate & GOP calculator