4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 4:59 AM by lozkane

xml solution to multiple tags

lozkane

Hi, I have an xml import that works fine except that I want to be able to import for example, 'Author' once and have it replace the 'author' tag throughout the document without having to repeat the instruction in xml for each one. Surely we can do this? Am I missing something?

If not what is a good program to enter xml tag data? at present I'm compiling the xml in excel which will only let me enter each tag once into speadsheet.

Appreciate your ideas!

• 1. Re: xml solution to multiple tags
          PankChat Level 1

Could you be more clear about requirement?

for instance what do you mean by "'Author' once and have it replace the

'author' tag throughout the document without having to repeat". It seems

that you want to manipulate your xml during before importing. I am not

sure.................

• 2. Re: xml solution to multiple tags
            lozkane Level 1

I thought it should be possible for a tag to be imported once and for it to automatically fill any other tags in the structure that are the same name. Maybe not. My problem is that excel will not allow me to create a schema with multiple entries of the same name.

Excel would seem to be a logical program to store and update information.

Any ideas?

• 3. Re: xml solution to multiple tags
              PankChat Level 1

You mean XML in order

Yes you can do it (add xml elements) in Indesign ..... is that what you

meant?

• 4. Re: xml solution to multiple tags
                lozkane Level 1

When I import my xml file it replaces tags through the structure order up to a point where it reaches a tag that has already been imported but doesn't seem to recognise that it's already imported this tag.

eg. my xml import has <term>this</term> - but only provides this tag once (because that's the way excel works). My indesign doc has <term> written 4 times and I want that one xml import entry to replace them all without having to repeat it for every time it appears in my doc structure.

When I do this import why is it only replacing my 'term' the first time?