4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 10:08 AM by robert_ro

How to render with alpha channel?

robert_ro Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to render a comp with alpha  channel QT PNG. When i play the clip it's with black BG but if i  imported in AE is with alpha channel. How to render in such way that i  can play in Quicktime without the black BG? Am i missing something?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: How to render with alpha channel?
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

robert_ro wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to render a comp with alpha  channel QT PNG. When i play the clip it's with black BG but if i  imported in AE is with alpha channel. How to render in such way that i  can play in Quicktime without the black BG? Am i missing something?

Thanks!

You've successfully rendered the alpha channel. Alpha information is not displayed as expected in some players. IN QT Player, your alpha is transparent but the player has no background so it defaults to black. Check the playback operations and settings/prefs for QT Player, there may be a way to tell it to show alpha information.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to render with alpha channel?
            robert_ro Level 1

Yes, i tought about that. But if a render as FLV, still not possible to play it without BG? I just want  to show it to someone and i don't know how...

• 3. Re: How to render with alpha channel?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are misunderstanding how transparency/ Alpha channels work. There is no genuine transparancy on any computer. An Alpha channel merely tells a program to "take this pixel, and if it's Alpha is zero, replace it with the background", to put it simple. In turn this means that the actual transparency handling must be dealt with in the program that is displaying the file. In your case this would require a proper Flash SWF player that has set its options to use transparency - Flash's rendering engine is doing the blending, it's not intrinsic in the clip.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to render with alpha channel?
                robert_ro Level 1

Ok, thank's a lot!