6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2010 8:37 AM by rickg1949

System in knots

rickg1949 Level 1

Need help badly!  For the last few days I have noticed that my sytem (Dell 7400 8 core workstation, Windows Vista 64bit Ultimate, external storage, NVidia 5600, worked fine with CS4) began to get sluggish capturing HDV clips, giving me a warning message "File busy, could not update" for every clip captured.  Plus it would not display video in capture window while logging.

So I thought to give Master Suite a fresh start and uninstall it, remove the K-Lite codec package we have discussed here to help Bridge work, and re-install and update.  That took most of yesterday.

Now I still have sluggish playback from a timeline, still no video in capture window when loggin, and I have to save a project after openning to get clips to play in preview monitor.  Plus audio preview in the bin preview pane does not work.   HDV clips play for a while until I try to open an audio clip in (wav file) in the preview window, then I lose all audio through sound card.  Audio monitor show audio on meter.  Task manager is showing Premiere using 18-20% of CPU when it's sitting still.  That's not good!!

What I suspect is possibley a Window update that came in a few days ago???  Tried to do a system restore last night back to a month ago when all was pretty well, but maybe the "uninstall/reinstall" caused that to crap out and not take after 4 hours.

Any thoughts, short of going to Walmart for a greeter job?

Listening,

rg

• 1. Re: System in knots
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Any thoughts, short of going to Walmart for a greeter job?

Well, let's not go to extremes, please!

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm pretty sure you're still being haunted by the K-lite virus codec package. What happens when you install one of those packages--since they are immense cob-jobs of codecs, splitters, and other garbage that 99.999999% of the population never needs--is that your Windows registry gets pretty effectively nuked. File associations get all out of whack, and certain decoders get assigned a different merit--basically, they get priority in decoding a file. When you uninstall something like K-lite, you probably remove most of the binary files (codecs and such), but you haven't effectively cleaned out all the detritus left behind in the registry, and therefore your system is looking for things that aren't there. A trustworthy software package and uninstaller will remove most if not all of those dead ends and put your system back the way it was, but since K-lite and other similar "conveniences" are slapped-together-kitchen-sink-what-does-this-do-I-don't-know-but-it-looks-cool-so-let's-p ut-it-in-there, you're pretty much guaranteed to never get rid of it. See why these codec packs are so bad?

Sadly, the only real recourse you have here is to take your system down to zero--that means reinstalling Windows and all your applications all over again. I know this is not a terribly exciting proposition, but I don't think you're going to find another way, particularly since your system is so indeliably polluted now. I can tell you from experience that the ONE time I made the mistake of installing a codec package (although it wasn't totally my fault--Sorenson Squeeze thinks it's a good idea to install ffdshow for "format support"), the only way I could salvage my system was a fresh install of Windows.

But seriously... anything but Walmart!

• 2. Re: System in knots
            rickg1949 Level 1

Colin,

I  was prepared for that diagnosis.  I agree that is where the problem must lie.  That ffdshow CODEC looked like an accident waiting to happen.  Even Win Media Player seems to have lost most of its playback functionality (no mpeg) although DVD player still works.  Installed a Windows recommended Roxio mpeg player to see if it would resupply the missing CODECs last night with no joy.

So I guess I know where I'll be spending the weekend!  Thanks for your support.  rg  (maybe Micky-D's???  love to cook!)

• 3. Re: System in knots
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              Even Win Media Player seems to have lost most of its playback functionality (no mpeg) although DVD player still works.  Installed a Windows recommended Roxio mpeg player to see if it would resupply the missing CODECs last night with no joy.

That's a pretty strong indicator that you've got system-level issues to deal with. When something so closely tied to the operating system as WMP fails to work correctly (well, OK--fails to do what is within even its meager capabilities), you know you've got some nefarious forces at work. The only way to expel these imps is to enjoy a fun-filled day of backing up, wiping the drive, and reinstalling everything.

At least you're keeping a good sense of humor about you! Be sure to pepper in a couple colorful, creative words as you work--it will make the time go modestly faster. If nothing else, you're reaffirmed that the best lessons are the hardest ones learned, and now you can join the elite ranks of those who pounce like wildcats when the mere mention of "codec packs" is uttered here.

That which doesn't kill us, only makes us crazier... good luck with the rebuild!

• 4. Re: System in knots
                rickg1949 Level 1

Thanks!!

Hey, quick, basic question:  can I skip the Adobe uninstall step (just "deactivate" the Suite) and will the Vista clean install sweep everything off the c: drive?  that'll save me an hour or so.

%&###@**  *&^#%^

Thanks, rg

• 5. Re: System in knots
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Yep, just deactivate. It won't matter if you uninstall CS5--or anything else, for that matter--since you're basically wiping the blackboard clean and starting all over. If you have any other software that has online activation schemes, be sure to deactivate those, too.

• 6. Re: System in knots
                    rickg1949 Level 1

Well, I have totally clean system now after 18 hours of cleansing.  Problem is I'm back to square one with the "no MPEG previewing in either Bridge or even Windows Media Player.  Premiere seems back to normal, all video (HDV) displayed while logging.

Can anyone from Adobe HQ offer any help on getting HDV footage, captured using Premiere to play in Bridge??????  Please??  (I know, the Bridge Forum, posting this there too.)

Come on, this is amazing to have to put up with after my annual $1,000 pledge to the Adobe Mother Church.  I am such an advocate of the product line but this is like driving the Indy 500 with a front wheel locked up.

Help me, please, Adobe.

rg