6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 6:28 PM by the_wine_snob

Export (Share) to iPad

WPCheswick

"[FILENAME] could not be copied to this iPad because it cannot be played on this iPad."

Anyone have a Share preset for use with iPad?

The only preset that works on the iPad is the iPod preset, but that's only 640x480. (I'm fairly sure the iPad's display is juuuuuusst a bit larger.)

I've tried tweaking that preset to increase the resolution, but I keep getting the above error when I go to sync in iTunes.

If you have some help to offer, I would love to take that help.

Thanks,

Warren P. Cheswick

• 1. Re: Export (Share) to iPad
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here's the video format iPad's prefer, according to Apple's web site:

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps

That looks pretty much like the same format and frame size that the iPod uses. (Remember, although iPods have a much smaller screen, they can be used to port video into much larger devices too. And, remember, even a 32" standard def TV is only essentially 640x480 pixels.

The iPad also supports larger format video -- though it references a standard I'm not quite sure what to do with:

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz

So, if you'd like to create a high-quality output preset at 1280x720p, you should be able to do so by going to Share/Computer/MOV (although the MPEG option will get you closer to an MP4)  and clicking the Advanced button. Though this, of course, only makes sense to do if you're using hi-def video as the media for creating your project.

• 2. Re: Export (Share) to iPad
            WPCheswick Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

The iPad also supports larger format video -- though it references a standard I'm not quite sure what to do with:

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help.  That's the rub, right there. You'd think you could just plug those parameters in and churn out some H.264, 1280x720 video @ 30fps and the iPad would be your buddy, but the iPad just hates you for it.

It looks great playing back HD files, but I just can't my own on there. I have an HD file that I downloaded from the Apple store (which the iPad really loves) and it's an MPEG-4, H.264, 153kbps (total bit rate 4562kbps), "low-complexity" profile, 1280x720, with stereo and 5.1 audio.

Nice, but when I take my 1280x720p 30fps source material and try to convert it to .m4v or .mov formats, using either H.264 and MPEG-4 codecs, iTunes insists that the iPad doesn't like the format.

There are plenty of stand-alone applications that will convert your video to iPad format, and I'm starting to wonder if they actually do something that PRE doesn't, but I still kind of doubt that's true.

• 3. Re: Export (Share) to iPad
              CR Henderson Level 3

WPCheswick wrote:

"[FILENAME] could not be copied to this iPad because it cannot be played on this iPad."

Anyone have a Share preset for use with iPad?

The only preset that works on the iPad is the iPod preset, but that's only 640x480. (I'm fairly sure the iPad's display is juuuuuusst a bit larger.)

I've tried tweaking that preset to increase the resolution, but I keep getting the above error when I go to sync in iTunes.

If you have some help to offer, I would love to take that help.

Thanks,

Warren P. Cheswick

iTunes is the gatekeeper for the video being sent to iOS devices and tends to be a tad bit conservative.  Many videos rejected by iTunes could play fine on the iPad.  This has been verified by loading them to the iPad via the app storage of a 3rd party app that plays videos.  One such is GoodReader.  Others have gotten videos rejected by iTunes to play by changing the level to 3.0 or 3.1 by munging the header.  How well they played depended upon how many of the higher level features were used.

I suspect that what is happening is your H.264 files are being rendered by PrE with high profile at level 4.1.  You can try to convert them using iTunes (Advanced->Create iPad or Apple TV Version) or pass them through Handbrake.

For example, I have some 16x9 source material from my old Panasonic GS-400 camera which generates 720x480 dv.  If I render it with PrE 9 using the Quicktime selection 720x480 it comes out as a .mov file at Main@L4.1 and is rejected by iTunes.  If I then pass it through Handbrake it comes out as High@3.0 and is accepted by iTunes.  If I use iTunes (Advanced->Create iPad or Apple TV Version) to convert it it will also sync to the iPad.  However, it's aspect ratio is set to 3:2 where Handbrake sets it to 16:9 so I use Handbrake.

As far as I can tell there isn't a preset that will work properly on the iPad and still give maximum resolution without processing the file with iTunes or some other app.

• 4. Re: Export (Share) to iPad
                WPCheswick Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I did find the "Create iPad / Apple TV Version" tab today, and that at least allowed me to get a more hi-res video file onto the iPad.

Some interesting info here:   http://digitalcontentproducer.com/videoencodvd/revfeat/encoding_apple_ipad_0420/

...which I believe may hold a solution for creating a Share preset within PrE that will work. But I haven't poked around with it just yet.

• 5. Re: Export (Share) to iPad
                  charta

Hi,

I finally found a preset which did export to iPad, I changed iPod standard quality: Depth to 3.1, frames 1280 x 720, BUT the quality was worse then the iPod preset (640x280).

I don't understand that. If anyone could explain this, I would appreciate it.

I tried conversion by iTunes, but that is worse than iPod preset as well. Only advantage: it actually shows an image in the movie directory.

Thanks,

Maud

• 6. Re: Export (Share) to iPad
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Maud,

Welcome to the forum.

The quality will depend on several factors: the Preset's Frame Size, the FPS, the CODEC used and the Bit-Rate chosen. Without knowing all of those, it would be impossible to address "where the quality went." The Export/Share settings (all of them) can have a major impact on the results.

Good luck,

Hunt