4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2007 5:47 AM by Javaman13

LCK Files being removed automatically

Javaman13
      I have 4 programmers using file check in and check out with DW MX 2004. Three of us have problems keeping files checked out. We will check out a file and see the green check. When another programmer puts a file to the live server all our checked out files change. The LCK files are deleted. The set up we use to publish is thus:
      Mange site 1: Local drive to Dev server. All development check in and out done here.
      Manage site 2: Publishing site Dev server to Live server no check in check out. Only used to Put files live.

There is one programmer that has her LCK files always stay around. The rest of us they are deleted when someone opens the connection to manage site 2.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
        • 1. Re: LCK Files being removed automatically
          larryvoyer Level 1
          I am also experiecing this problem and, for me, it makes development very difficult.

Everything zips along fine when the LCK files are there. When they're missing each transaction takes forever while Dreamweaver connects to the remote site and does it's thing.

Yesterday, I solved the problem by "putting" my directory and then doing a "checkout". Worked finhe until, after a couple hours today, the LCK files went missing and I'm back to ponderous operation.

Is there ajnyway it could be related to some background virus,spyware,history, etc cleanup or defrag? I'm at a loss.
          • 2. Re: LCK Files being removed automatically
            larryvoyer Level 1
            Just a note to outline some things that I've done that have a bearing on this problem.

First, I copied all the LCK files to another directory. As luck would have it, My LCK files for the whole development directory (about 400 files) disappeared again several hours later in the middle of a development session.

I copied the LCK files back into the development directory and everything was fine again.

I noticed that the files disappeared around noon...on the hunch that it might be a periodic background task, I disabled my spyware checker (Spyware Doctor OnGuard)..I have not encountered the problem since...

it's early to tell and it may be coincidental, but I wanted to share the info with those experiencing the same problem.
            • 3. Re: LCK Files being removed automatically
              Level 7
              Thanks for posting this!

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"larryvoyer" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:fhk985$mrt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Just a note to outline some things that I've done that have a bearing on
              > this
              > problem.
              >
              > First, I copied all the LCK files to another directory. As luck would have
              > it,
              > My LCK files for the whole development directory (about 400 files)
              > disappeared
              > again several hours later in the middle of a development session.
              >
              > I copied the LCK files back into the development directory and everything
              > was
              > fine again.
              >
              > I noticed that the files disappeared around noon...on the hunch that it
              > might
              > be a periodic background task, I disabled my spyware checker (Spyware
              > Doctor
              > OnGuard)..I have not encountered the problem since...
              >
              > it's early to tell and it may be coincidental, but I wanted to share the
              > info
              > with those experiencing the same problem.
              >

• 4. Re: LCK Files being removed automatically
                Javaman13 Level 1
                I found out that there is an issue with DW that caused my initial problem. It seems that you can't have DW connect between 2 servers where one has checkin/out on and the other doesn't. What happens is behind the sceene DW looks at the LCK files and determines that they are not needed because checkin/out is deactivated. Therefore it delets them. When this occurs it messes up the whole process of publishing. DW needs a read only version on the local drive. When one checks out the file is checks to see if the read only is on, if so it gets the file from the remote server and updates the local one. If that read only file is open, it assumes that the user is editing the file and does not get the most recent version. Therefore, a use can easily overwrite another users file. This became quite a bother.
                The way I resolved this is to go with a 3 step publishing process. 1st uses checkin/out. 2nd is a staging area where the user only gets the files. Both local and remote are on the same server but in separate locations. By doing this the publishing is not done via a server/server direct connect and since only a get is being done there is no DW check on the LCK files. 3rd step is to put files from this newly created stagging area to the production server.