2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2010 4:47 PM by COGOProductions

Motion Tracking on spinning objects

COGOProductions

I have a client interested in having his seven employees on camera with writing on their shirts. They turn around and the letters change to a new message and then they turn around again with another new message.

Can this be done with motion tracking? Would I just put tracking points on their shirts? Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Motion Tracking on spinning objects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No. That would either require proper 3D matchmoving or motion control combined with quite elaborate 3D animation or at least rather complicated 3D compositing to match a 3D plane to the shirt and replace the text or tons of warps and morphs to match perspective. If kept simple, there might be a chance to do a manual matchmove and kinda pin a few layers in sort of a fake 3D on the people, but that still would require a lot of fiddling and those shirts better sit snugly or else the wrinkles will drive you mad. So for what it's worth: If there is no way to do this in camera by changing shirts and matching poses plus a bit of corrective warping in post to disguise the transitions, this will be way over your head, both technically and with regards to the budget this probably has...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Motion Tracking on spinning objects
            COGOProductions Level 1

Thank you for your comments. I may try something old school: with shirts that actually change.