5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 5:57 PM by gkaiseril

Security features in AA Pro & Acrobat Reader problem

greenthames

Hi,

In Adobe Acrobat Pro my PDF is shown to have "no security" - everything is allowed.

When I open that saved documnet in Reader 9.4 it has security features I did not put there.

In particular, no adding of comments (and markups).

Any ideas how to resolve problem welcome.

• 1. Re: Security features in AA Pro & Acrobat Reader problem
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

greenthames wrote:

In particular, no adding of comments (and markups).

That's not a security feature.

In order to add comments to a PDF in Adobe Reader, the PDF has to be enables. Open the file in Acrobat and look under the "advanced" menu for that feature.

• 2. Re: Security features in AA Pro & Acrobat Reader problem
            greenthames Level 1

Thanks Graffiti,

There seems no problem with the AA pro - opening advanced features - under security properties everything is allowed.

The problem is that when I open that same PDF in Acrobat Reader (which has no "Advanced") it does nlot allow the adding of comments.

In Acrobat Reader on toolbar under Document > Security > Show Security Properties : Security : Document Restrictions Summary : under Commenting it is marked : Not Allowed.

Any idea how to get around this.

What I want to do is to be able to make PDFs and send then to someone else for adding comments but Reader does not allow this and I am not disabling it when I make the PDF with AA Pro.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Security features in AA Pro & Acrobat Reader problem
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Again, it's not a security thing. Reader does not have the ability to add comments on it's own so that's why it says that in file properties when opened in Reader. You have to enable that feature in Acrobat Pro and THEN they'll have that ability.

To do this, open the PDF in Acrobat Pro, go to Advanced>Extend features in Adobe Reader and follow the instructions from there.

• 4. Re: Security features in AA Pro & Acrobat Reader problem
                greenthames Level 1

Thanks again,

I have tried this.  Extend Features in Acrobat Reader is greyed out

Also :  > Advanced> Accessibility> Change Reader Options is greyed out.

Any idea how to get these operating?

A question: if Add Comments is not a security option then why is it listed under Security properties in Reader as "Not allowed". If it not security restriction what is it?

I do apprecaite you help. Thanks for the forbearance.

• 5. Re: Security features in AA Pro & Acrobat Reader problem
                  gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need to bring the compatibility target version up to a version that will allow that feature for the PDF. You need to bring it up to PDF version 1.7 or Acrobat 8.0.

It would be best to start over with the original source document.