5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2010 4:15 PM by the_wine_snob

No audio for MTS files in PE9

Michael.Luo

I'm running Premiere Element 9 (registered version) on Windows 7 X64.

I have some exsiting MTS files on the hard drive (they are from Canon HF20 camcorder).

If I play those MTS files in Windows Media, everything was fine.  I got video and audio.

But when I create a project and put those files in the project, I got video only.  There's no audio.

For troubleshooting purpose, I install Premiere Pro (CS5) and VideoStudio (from Corel).  Both of them worked fine with audio.  So it looks like the problem is specific to Premiere Element only.

I've gone through the thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/731032?tstart=0.  But couldn't fix the problem.

Any hints would be appreciated!

Michael

• 1. Re: No audio for MTS files in PE9
          VDOSurfer Level 3

When a video file is imported, the audio part of that file is saved separately. Could you try deleting the Media Cache? That is where I saw that these files are stored.

Check where the Media cache is stored in the Scratchdisk (Edit->Preferences->Scratchdisk). Close PRE9

Delete the folder completely and then re-import the MTS files. Conforming should happen again and hopefully this time there should be audio.....

Check and let us know.

• 2. Re: No audio for MTS files in PE9
            Michael.Luo Level 1

Thank you very much for the info.

I removed the Media Cache and Media Cache File folders.  Didn't seem to make any difference.  Also, there's no audio if I try to play it in Organizer.

I have a question regaring "import".  What exactly does that mean?

Since all my MTS files are on hard drive already, what I did was:

1) Open a new project in PE9.

2) In the "Organize" tab, click "Get Media"

3) Choose "Get Videos/Photos/Audio from: Files and Folders".

4) In the pop-up window, navigate to my folder and choose the existing MTS file.

Was that called "import"?

Thank you again!

Michael

• 3. Re: No audio for MTS files in PE9
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Michael, when you created your Premiere Elements project, did you set it up with the project preset for AVCHD 5.1 audio?

You may also want to attach the camcorder to your computer with a USB cable and use Premiere Elements' Video Importer to bring the file into your project and onto your computer. (Select Get Media/AVCHD Camcorder) This will ensure that the entire video and audio is imported into your project in one step.

• 4. Re: No audio for MTS files in PE9
                Michael.Luo Level 1

Thanks for your info.

Yes, the MTS files were imported with PE9.

I also tried 5.1.  Still no luck.

After some research on the Internet, I guess I found the "solution" - use PE8 instead of PE9. 

I know, it might be related to my specific computer / OS / operation method, etc.  But the interesting thing was - it worked like a champ on PE8 (on the same computer).

So I guess Adobe might want to put some resource on software test.

Michael

• 5. Re: No audio for MTS files in PE9
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

Do you have the trial version, or the full-paid version of PrE9? The reason that I ask is that for DD 5.1 SS AC3 Audio, you need the full-paid version, and give it a moment to activate the encoding/decoding module.

Good luck,

Hunt