3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2010 3:52 PM by Powered by Design

Premiere CS5 build critique and RAIDing

Kevin Friedberg

Hi folks,

I'm building a video editing computer for our liberal arts college.  Mostly it'll be used by the theatre to produce clips to be used in shows and for performances, but it'll also occasionally be used by other departments for their own purposes.

So far the theatre has been using footage shot from miniDV cameras, but they've said that for this iteration they want to work in HD (nothing more specific than that, so I'll assume some sort of 1080p).  So far they've been working in Premiere CS, but they're getting a CS5 license and they've also been eyeing After Effects.

This is replacing a 6 year old machine, and the next time we upgrade it'll probably be in another 6 years with another full hardware replacement.  Here's the build I've got so far:

ProcessorCore i7-950
      Processor FanIncluded
      MotherboardGigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
      RAM12GB PC3-10666 3X4GB DDR3-1333 (or faster)
      Hard drive 1 (OS)Western Digital Velociraptor 150 GB
      Hard drive 2+ (Data)6 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
      RAID cardareca ARC-1222 (up to 8 devices)
      GraphicsNVIDIA GTX 470
      CaseAntec Twelve Hundred
      Power supplyCorsair HX850W
      CD/DVD writerSamsung SH-S223L
      3.5" baynGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB
      MonitorSamsung F2380
      PCI card for SD captureMatrox RT.X100 Xtreme (from previous machine)

So question 1:  Any mistakes I've made with the hardware?

Question 2: I'm certainly planning to RAID it, so with the drives above I'm thinking:

C:WD VelociraptorOS, Programs, Pagefile
      D:4 x Samsung Spinpoint 1TB in RAID 3 on the arecaMedia, Projects, Exports
      E:2 x Samsung Spinpoint 1TB in RAID 0 on the motherboardMedia Cache, Previews

In theory we'll be getting an external archive drive, but it looks like it'll be repurposed to transport files between this and the theatre's performance machines, so Exports will also have to serve as the archive.  Are there any changes you'd suggest to that drive config?

Question 2a:  If I'm over budget I'll probably drop a couple of the Spinpoints, for the following layout:

C:WD VelociraptorOS, Programs, Pagefile
      D:4 x Samsung Spinpoint 1TB in RAID 3 on the arecaMedia, Projects, Exports, Media Cache, Previews

Still looking good?

Thanks for any and all replies.

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 build critique and RAIDing
          richardrock

I am just a newbie; the big dogs are sure to help you here soon. For such a nice machine I would use a better CPU cooler and I would suggest using some sort of a mirror on the OS drive. That old Matrox sounds like it could be a headache. You have firewire on the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R for DV capture if that works for you.

I hope you enjoy CS5 on I7 as much as I am! It is fast and stable for me.

CS5 Prod Prem

Win 7 Pro

i7 930

ASUS P6X58D Premium -

(X2) Kinsingston Hyper KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX

Noctua NH-D14 - CPU cooler

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5 build critique and RAIDing
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Some alternatives on an otherwise balanced and good looking system:

1. If you do not overclock, you may get by with the stock CPU cooler, otherwise consider a third party CPU cooler like Noctua, Prolimatech, and the like.

2. I realize this may bring you over budget, but consider the Areca ARC 1680 or 1880, because of the much faster IOP.

3. You can skip the Matrox card and use it for its designed purpose, as a doorstop.

4. Check the PSU using eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 , get the Pro version, set CPU load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30% and add 10 - 15% to the calculated wattage for safety. Maybe you need to go higher than 850W, but I did not check it myself.

On your disk setup, 2 looks nice. If you need to drop one or two disks for budgetary reasons, you may consider 4 + 1 hot-spare for your raid3 if you can manage 5 disks, to give you some added safety.

You obviously did your homework. Well done!

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 build critique and RAIDing