21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 11:03 PM by Cowtune

SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)

Cowtune

Who'd have guessed it, my SWF plays immediately with FF, but I'm getting long delays with IE8.  I've come a long way from when I started this project.  I think I have everything in the right place and have the right files to work with.

I'm using SWFObject 2.2 ... think I'm using it properly.  I used the generater (air vers.) to generate the html file.  The file now plays and I have a background that displays right away (it's an image of the what first shows up).

Any ideas on where I can improve:  www.monsmacounselling.com

I've compressed all the images, but the file is still rather big.  I expected problems with FF, but it plays immediately ... which surprises me.

• 1. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

works for me.

but you need to clearn up the:

Error #2044: Unhandled IOErrorEvent:. text=Error #2036: Load Never Completed.

errors when your site first loads.

• 2. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
            Cowtune Level 1

Yikes ... I don't see that error.  Is it related to the strange looking mark on the upper left-hand side of the first image that shows?  That's recent, but I didn't know what it was (or why).  I've been trying to make the swf play properly ... been tweaking the code.  Maybe I broke something I wasn't aware of.  I used a validator to try and make sure I didn't have errors before posting.  I'm looking into it.

Thanks for mentioning.  Lots to learn.

• 3. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)

i don't know what you're doing to cause that error but you should be able to prevent that message by using an ioerror listener applied to your loader(s):

yourloader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener(IOErrorEvent.IO_ERROR, ioErrorF);

function ioErrorF(e:IOErrorEvent):void {

}

• 4. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                Cowtune Level 1

Kglad ... well this is a mystery.  I believe you ... cuz I know there's a problem, I can't reproduce any error.

I'm running IE8.0.7600.16385 and FF3.6.10.

I'll look into what you suggested.  Something should show up.

• 5. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                  Cowtune Level 1

Oh-oh ... I tried to find and learn, but I don't know how to use a listener.  This is the first I'd heard of it.  I found references to it, but I don't understand it and don't know how or where to insert it.

• 6. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)

are you using as3?

(and i tested your site with ie 8.0.6001 and ff 3.6.10 both flash fp 10.1)

• 7. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                      Cowtune Level 1

Admittedly, I don't know how to use any of the AS.  Flash CS5 comes with AS3.  If I'm using it ... it's not a conscious act. 

I used Flash encoder to convert a wmv (originally created with powerpoint 2010) to an FLV.  I then imported into Flash to save as FLA and convert to SWF.  I know it's a convoluded way to get there.

• 8. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)

do you have any actionscript in your fla or do you have a document class assigned?

also, check the directory where you published your html and swf files.  is there a skinsomelongname.swf is that directory?  if yes, that needs to be uploaded to your server.

• 9. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                          Cowtune Level 1

When I tell Flash to create the AS, there's nothing in the source.  There's also no document class.   This probably doesn't help you.

I'm reinstalling the trial, but only have one day left for the trial.  I've been trying hard to make this work - for 30 days.  I was planning to purchase Flash if this worked ... but it's not looking good.  If I can't get it to work, I don't see the point.  It created the file I wanted, but it doesn't seem to have the tools to publish so that it'll work. 

• 10. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)

your html doesn't look right.  try changing

<div class="videobkg">
                            <object id="flash1" data="videos/monsmavideo.swf" height="200" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width: 650px; height: 199px">
                            <param name="movie" value="videos/monsmavideo.swf">
                            <param name="quality" value="High">
                            <param name="scale" value="NoBorder">
                            <param name="salign" value="B">

</object>
                            </div>

to:

<div class="videobkg">
                            <object id="flash1"  classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="650" height="199">
                            <object  type="application/x-shockwave-flash"  data="videos/monsmavideo.swf" width="650" height="199" />
                            </object>
                            </div>

• 11. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                              Cowtune Level 1

Kglad,

This bit of code seems to start another instance of "object".  If I add a second closure of object </object> ... will it break anything?  It's the only thing I can see that's isn't quite right.  Appreciate your time/effort to help with this.  (I did get rid of the error - took a long day of searching to figure it out.)

<object  type="application/x-shockwave-flash"  data="videos/monsmavideo.swf" width="650" height="199" /> </object>

• 12. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                                Cowtune Level 1

Here's what I entered:

<div class="videobkg">
                                <object id="flash1" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="650" height="199">
                                <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="videos/monsmavideo.swf" width="650" height="199">
                                </object>
                                </object>
                                </div>

I had to enter the second </object> to close the 2nd instance (as I mentioned in my previous post).  I tried a few things first ... but kept getting an error.  This code seems to work.  I cleared all temp files, tested and it seems to be working.  It appears to display the initial portion of the video before the rest loads, which is great (I'm guessing).  I've uploaded the new code and it's also still working with FF.  Can you test at your end ... to confirm it loads right away ... before I claim "answered".

Thanks a bunch.

• 13. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                                  Cowtune Level 1

Here's a strange one for you.

The second instance of the object has messed up the look of the dwt while I'm working with it (not harmed - but looks very strange).  My horizontal nav bar is kind-a overshadowed by a second overlay of the swf.  The information is the same as for the 2nd instance of the object (lightning bolt, following by "application/x-shockwave-flash" -w/o the quotes).  It hasn't harmed the navigation in anyway.  The navigation, which is actually black, looks a pale grey ... as if showed through the overlay of the swf box.  All pages that are attached to the dwt have this behaviour.  It's a bit of a mystery.

• 14. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)

that's ok closing that object tag.  it was self-closed in my code.

but none of the param tags are closed.  use:

<div class="videobkg">
                                    <object id="flash1" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="650" height="199">
                                    <param name="movie" value="videos/monsmavideo.swf" />
                                    <param name="quality" value="High" />
                                    <param name="scale" value="NoBorder" />
                                    <param name="salign" value="B" />
                                    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="videos/monsmavideo.swf" width="650" height="199">
                                    </object>
                                    </object>
                                    </div>

or even better, remove the last 3 param tags and add those attributes using swfobject.

• 15. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                                      Cowtune Level 1

Actually, those params were already in the js file - so I removed them from my dwt file.  I'll change my code again to what you have.  I hope it doesn't duplicate the display again - ir overlays on top of my horizontal nav ... really strange.

Did you notice what i noticed. The swf doesn't play in FF anymore.  I broke something.????

• 16. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                                        Cowtune Level 1

KgIad, I believe my htmal code (in the dwt) now incorporates what you're recommended.  I must be learning this stuff - bit by bit. 

Thefore, I'm leaving my code as is ... cuz it's playing so perfectly (with what you had me add) for IE.  Somehow, I broke something ... cuz the SWF won't play in FF.  It's not even attempting to download it.  FF was working perfectly before.  Sheesh ... don't know what I did.

• 17. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                                          Cowtune Level 1

In my attempts (all day) to try to get this Flash file to play in FF, I broke it in IE, but I've since fixed it.  What a stressful time.

I finally at least got the background to show in FF, but I cannot get the swf to even download and "eventually" playl.  There's just not action between FF and that video.  It was working perfectly before I posted this problem.  I got IE working and have now lost FF.  I dont know what I did to break it, but it's a sad time ... trying to gett his working.

Thanks for any insights.

• 18. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)

your html is still incorrect and now incomplete.  use:

<object id="myId" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="650" height="199">
                                            <param name="movie" value="videos/monsmavideo.swf" />

</object>

</object>

• 19. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                                              Cowtune Level 1

Kglad,

I can't believe that fixed it ... but it fixed it.  I was sure I'd tried what you last sent, but I guess not.  I'd fussed for two days straight with it.  To overcome the second instance of the video, overlaying the design view, I'll simply comment out that section temporarily.  I don't believe there's any other workaround, that I can see.

Thank you for yout time and diligence in helping with this.  I've got some kind of extra spacing going on below the video, but I'll keep fussing that.

Thanks again.

• 20. Re: SWF plays immediately in FF, but long delays with IE(8)
                                                Cowtune Level 1

Marking as answered.  Tx.