5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2010 10:42 AM by kglad

Hi all new here. Newb question...can this be done with flash?

punkrocker1

Hi everyone hoping you can help a newb like me out. Thanks in advance for your time. I am trying to make a video exactly like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbMOTNI8tcE

I know in the video it implies he uses a light control thing but I think he is really just animating the cartoon. I just want to animate a "line cartoon" like this one. Can I do this in flash? Its not for a website just like a movie type thing. I have access to pretty much all the other adobe software at my school so if I need to use a different program I can do that. Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction and maybe give some tips on how to go about it. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Hi all new here. Newb question...can this be done with flash?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

yes.  you'll need to draw all the keyframes and if you have two keyframes that will have a straight-forward transition from one keyframe to the next, you can use flash to draw the "between" frames (called tweening).

• 2. Re: Hi all new here. Newb question...can this be done with flash?
            punkrocker1 Level 1

@kglad

Hi thanks so much for your reply. Could you please tell me if I am understanding this correctly? I use flash to draw the "cartoon line characters". It seems that in his video he redraws for each keyframe? Is that correct or is there an easier way to do that? Then I use "tweening" to move the characters around on the screen? Or could I just reposition the characters if I have to redraw them for every keyframe like I am guessing he is doing in the video? Sorry total n00b here.

• 3. Re: Hi all new here. Newb question...can this be done with flash?

open flash and you'll see a timeline with frames (that are all empty when you start).  draw something on the stage.  that will be in frame 1.  right click on frame 10 and click insert keyframe.  your drawing will be in frame 10 now.  double click your drawing to select all of it, move your mouse off and then over the select drawing and then drag it to the right and release.  right click between frame 1 and frame 10 and click motion tween.  test your movie.

now start playing with flash to see what you can do.  you're not going to learn how to create your animation by asking questions.

you can get help getting started but you now have enough info to get started.  you can get more help if and when you encounter problems.

• 4. Re: Hi all new here. Newb question...can this be done with flash?
                punkrocker1 Level 1

@kglad

Ok great that really helped explain it better. I'll make sure to post a final project with my journey from noob to amatuer flash user when I am done :D. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Hi all new here. Newb question...can this be done with flash?

you're welcome.

you'll probably hit issues and may benefit from more help so don't be afraid to ask.  and, more importantly, don't be afraid to experiment with flash.  it's a great tool to use because it's so quick to test what you've done, go back and make changes, retest, go back and make changes etc.

p.s.  please mark this thread as answered, if you can.