5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2007 4:15 AM by jhutchdublin

DW layout doesn't seem very WYSIWYG

mark81
      I am trying to learn CSS to layout a my new website instead of the old table way. The problem is that whatever I have on screen in DW doesn't translate into the browser as the same way. I had the same problem with the table layouts method too.

Is there a page size or resolution setting I have missed that will give me a true resemblance in DW that appears in my browser? I use FF but the problem affects IE too.

As an example, The user login box I am writing looks great in DW but when I run it in the browser the input boxes are squeezed down to the line underneath. To get things looking right in the browser, the DW screen version looks like its been in a road accident.

Any helpful advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

• 1. Re: DW layout doesn't seem very WYSIWYG
          Level 7
          Which version of DW are you using?

DW's rendering of CSS becomes progressively better as each new version is
          released.

That said, the only results that truly matter are what the various browsers
          display and they have their differences.

--
          Regards

John Waller

• 2. Re: DW layout doesn't seem very WYSIWYG
            mark81 Level 1
            Thank you john for clarifying the problem. I had a suspicion It was a DW problem and the version I use is MX2004 V7.0.1.

How good do they get and what program or version renders the pages best in your opinion?

Mark

• 3. Re: DW layout doesn't seem very WYSIWYG
              Dave410
              I'm using DW8 and see the same thing sometimes.
              • 4. Re: DW layout doesn't seem very WYSIWYG
                Level 7
                mark81 wrote:

> Thank you john for clarifying the problem. I had a suspicion It was a DW
                > problem and the version I use is MX2004 V7.0.1.
                >
                > How good do they get and what program or version renders the pages best in
                > your opinion?

Its most likely a combination of how you are writing the css and DW's
                inability to interpret it correctly. I still use MX04 and I don't have
                many rendering issues in design view when using css.

I don't know how much better the subsequent two versions are but they
                can be much better than waht I see now because I'm not seeing a lot
                wrong. MX04 does not impare my css to the point where I feel its not
                useable.

MX8 and CS3 most like have coverd more interpretations of css code
                writing than actually having improved their rendering ability.

• 5. Re: DW layout doesn't seem very WYSIWYG
                  jhutchdublin Level 1
                  I would use Dreamweaver and write CSS using it's wizard or using the coding intellisense it's quite good. What ever you do please stay from layers.

they can really screw up your design. they use absolute positioning, which can be a nightmare in your design.

I would use IDs and divs to do any layout in CSS. This is not a Dreamweaver problem but a CSS rule.

Keep in mind any element you give an absolute position to is broken out of the flow document and will always appear in that position absolutely.

Where this becomes a problem is in different resolutions the browser will always place an element in the absolute spot no matter what other content is on the page.

This can lead up to the covering up of other page elements so do be careful with layers and absolute positioning