13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2010 2:27 PM by Van403

PP CS5 Capture problems..

Van403

I recently got my new Macbook and Adobe Production premium hoping to finally edit some of the work that was waiting for this gear but have run into a little problem that scares me a bit.

Equipment list:

Sony PD170 (SD Mini DV Tape)

13.3'' Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

Premiere Pro CS5

I tried capturing the footage off a tape of about 50 min and at around 28 min it stopped an gave me the option to save the clip as you'd expect it to do once its done capturing. I tried again and again and now it does it within the first 10 min of the capture at random points.

Things I have tried:

Switched off ALL screen savers and energy saving options like turning off hard disks etc.

Unchecked "Abort on dropped frame" checkbox

Fiddled with In and out points

Checked all settings, capturing in right formats etc. Even set up device control to recognise my camera..

I read somewhere that it suggests that you need at least a 7200RPM Hard drive to capture and it seems like my Macbook only has 5400RPM drive. But surely a brand new Macbook Pro can capture form Mini DV tape??? I have successfully captured the entire tape in iMovie before my Adobe software arrived so why the problem now?

I am really stressing about the RPM thing as I cannot believe that I can pay that amount of money for something that cant capture tape!

Any help would really be appreciated!

• 1. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Had you read the system requirements: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

you would have known that your MBP is below mimimum. If you further take into consideration that the Adobe minimum requirements only state what is needed to install the program, not to use it, and look at what you have and what you need for comfortable editing, there is a wide discrepancy.

• 2. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
            Van403 Level 1

Harm, while I am "young and stupid" (I just started out taking film making to the professional level) I did actually read all the requirements on Adobe's website, made notes of them, and went to my local iStore and physically checked all the specs on the actual model of the Mac I intended on buying. I never came across the hard drive specs in the system profiler(first time Apple user), therefore missed it. It also refers to editing and not capturing on the Adobe site..

Is it due to compression/formats etc that I can capture comfortably into iMovie opposed to Premiere? What are my options from here on? I invested a hell of alot of money in setting all of this up so I cant just go out and buy a better workstation, unfortunately.

• 3. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Hopefully capturing with iMovie will capture in the same format and codec. Then you can just import those captured files into your project. If the format and/or codec is different, you have to convert to a suitable format. Be aware however that your disk will be a major handicap. The minimum requirement, and that is ABSOLUTE MINIMUM, is at least two physical 7200 RPM SATA disks, better three.

• 4. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Harm said, two hard drives is the absolute minimum

For more, Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
                - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
                - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
                - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

• 5. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                  Powered by Design Level 4

As a test try a new tape and record anything then try importing that footage to rule out the tape as being the problem.

Do you have an e-sata port so you can get an external drive ?

Also if you have a different firewire try that too.

It might not be these things but its good to try to rule them out.

GLenn

• 6. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You have a Firewire 800 port on your MacBook Pro.  You might get an external Firewire 800 (IEEE-1394b) 7200 rpm disk drive.and see if for SD video that will allow you to just get by with the existing 5400 RPM OS drive..  Look at this one as an example

• 7. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                      Van403 Level 1

Today I went and got an external Lacie D2 Extreme ( I think) which was a 7200RPM Firewire 800 drive. I ran it into the Mac's firewire and then ran the camera straight into the drive. It captured fine for about 10 mins before doing the exact same thing. I realise you guys talk about "comfortable editing" on massive machines with millions of hard drives but our (South African) industry does not work in quite the same manner. Things are way more expensive here and our industry is still growing. The point though is that alot of people manage with less than what is considered "comfrotable" over seas. So that kept in consideration, todays setup should have sorted out the hard drive problem, no?

Thank you all for the advice so far.

• 8. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

External drives are normally formatted Fat32... so there is a 4Gig limit to the size of any file

What is your format?

• 9. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                          Van403 Level 1

Very unlikely as this hard drive got used in studios on a bunch of macs and im pretty sure the owner would not have had it as FAT32 as a proffessional..

• 10. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

First of all,, have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2) update (http://bit.ly/djiyh4)? That update fixes a lot of problems.

As others have mentioned, you really do need to capture to a separate hard drive other then your Mac HD. I like FireWire 800.

• 11. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                              Van403 Level 1

Unfortunately I have updated my entire suite already. And as I mentioned in my second last post I did try capturing to a firewire 800 external today to no avail..

• 12. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

In my opinion you apparently have something in your computer interrupting the capture process.  If this were a PC I could tell you how to possibly find the problem.  You need help from a knowledgable Mac person.  I doubt it has anything to do with Premiere.  Follow Harm's suggestion and use some other capture program and see if that works, and try Glenn's suggestion and try another tape and/or another camera.

• 13. Re: PP CS5 Capture problems..
                                  Van403 Level 1

I have previously tried different tapes but they all rendered the same results. I did however now try a different camera with a different tape..

It was successful. Now before I make the conclusion that my camera is faulty I have to ask the following:

The camera that dumped successfully is a Samsung DP351i or something. Its a cheap 0.8 megapixel camera I got for free with a home theatre system many years ago but it also uses Mini DV tapes like my PD170. Now as far as I understand dumping off a DV tape is the same either way, whether or not you shot with the highest quality or the lowest quality camera. Am I correct in saying this? The very last test is for me to try capture onto my Windows based PC with CS4 or Elements to see if the Camera is faulty but at the moment it looks like it is the PD170. It does however have a very good history and has recently seen a service from Sony themselves.