5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2010 11:08 AM by Bill Gehrke

PPro CS4 and CS5 installed and Windows 7 default launch from project dbl-click is...CS4?

Tim Kolb Level 1

This is sort of a curious one.  I have to keep CS4 installed to edit Camtasia files as their codec is a 32 bit no-go with 64 bit CS5...

Oddly, when I double-click any PPro project (most were created in CS5), they will launch CS4, not CS5.  When i go into properties and attempt to link a different application as the default for this project type, I browse to PPro CS5's executable and choose it, but end up back in the "Open with" dialog which again, only shows PPro CS4 as an option.

Oddness...  anybody else seeing this?  I just launch CS5 from it's shortcut and it loads whatever I want without an issue, but I still double click without thinking 3-5 times a week and have to back out...It's an annoyance.

• 1. Re: PPro CS4 and CS5 installed and Windows 7 default launch from project dbl-click is...CS4?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Tim,

Are you comfortable wading around in the Windows registry? If so, you can probably fix this with a quick digit change:

In the Registry Editor (launch regedit from the Run dialog), find the following key: Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command.

Once you select the "command" key, you'll see the program destination string on the right side; likely it's pointing to CS4. Double-click the "(Default)" string and change the value to to following, exactly as pasted here:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe" "%1"

That's with the outside quotes and everything. OK the change, and you may or may not need a system restart, but that should correct the issue. Basically the file extension (in this case, .PRPROJ) is associated with a class (Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project), and that class points to default application. Once that's fixed up, the chain should be put back together.

Also, there is another key in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Adobe.Premiere.Pro.Project\shell\open\command. Changing the above should change this as well, but you may want to check it.

• 2. Re: PPro CS4 and CS5 installed and Windows 7 default launch from project dbl-click is...CS4?
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I imagine that you probably reinstalled CS4 after you installed CS5.  So it has the association attached to it .There is a "File Association Fixer v 1.0".or if you are handy with editing your registry you might be able to do it directly.  The third option that I can think of is to reinstall CS5

• 3. Re: PPro CS4 and CS5 installed and Windows 7 default launch from project dbl-click is...CS4?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Oddness...  anybody else seeing this?

I have the same issue with Divx files on my personal computer.  While my media player of choice is fully capable of playing them, I simply cannot set the affinity for Divx files to that player.

Don't know whay that happens.

• 4. Re: PPro CS4 and CS5 installed and Windows 7 default launch from project dbl-click is...CS4?
                Tim Kolb Level 1

Thanks Colin and Bill.

I'm relatively comfortable in the registry, though only with precise instructions...thanks for that.  I'll give that a shot.

Yes, I did reinstall CS4 after CS5...  I guess I've never stopped to think that it was the last app installed instead of the latest version...though couldn't we change the file association in the file properties in past Windows versions?  (Maybe I never had to try to override the last installed version before and never realized that you can't manually control this between multiple versions of the same app?...)

I got started on the Premiere Pro CS5 FXPHD.com class, and realized that the Camtasia files I was  generating to teach CS5 would have to be edited in PPro CS4 due to the 32 bit Camtasia codec.

...not Adobe's fault of course, but the irony was impressive...   

(I think there's a fairly significant amount of Camtasia material edited in Premiere Pro out in the world as Premiere Pro being codec-agnostic, frame size-agnostic, and frame-rate agnostic enables it to handle that material very well...  I hope TechSmith gets the codec ported to 64 bit at some point soon for the sake of staying current.)

• 5. Re: PPro CS4 and CS5 installed and Windows 7 default launch from project dbl-click is...CS4?
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Thanks Tim for the several freeby's of yours that I got from the Steven Gotz site.