13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 1:05 PM by A.T. Romano

copying edited clips to a new project

fishmor

Can you copy edited clips to a new project?  Just curious, Eric

• 1. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Technically no. You can't cut and paste between projects, if that's what you're asking.

However, as I explain in my books, you can go to Share/Comptuer/AVI and export an AVI of your edited segment and it will load perfectly into a new project.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's workflow, many have used a Clipboard extender, ClipMate, to Copy/Paste between separate Projects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
              CR Henderson Level 3

Steve Grisetti wrote:

<...>

However, as I explain in my books, you can go to Share/Comptuer/AVI and export an AVI of your edited segment and it will load perfectly into a new project.

Interesting.  I looked at your book on PrE 9 and your description on page 209 doesn't make sense for the Mac.

You say: "The Macintosh equivalent to the DV-AVI file is the DV-MOV.  To output a DV-MOV file from your project, go to the Share tab and select the Computer destination. From the options listed, select MOV and, from the preset drop-down menu, select DV.

There is no MOV option under the Computer destination.  All that is there is Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, QuickTime, Image, and Audio.

Do you want to re-state that section for PrE 9 on the Mac or am I missing something?

• 4. Re: copying edited clips to a new project

Occasionally something appears in my copy of the program that does not appear in the release version -- but are you not seeing a screen like this, Clyde?

Though you're right: You get a .mov file instead of a .dv file. But these two file suffixes are interchangeable.

Meantime, if you'd like to continue this discussion, please start a new thread so that we don't hijack this one.

• 5. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
                  CR Henderson Level 3

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Occasionally something appears in my copy of the program that does not appear in the release version -- but are you not seeing a screen like this, Clyde?

Though you're right: You get a .mov file instead of a .dv file. But these two file suffixes are interchangeable.

I was referring more to the fact that the 'words' you used to describe how to get the .mov option didn't reflect the 'words' that were actually there.  This isn't really a problem for someone who is experienced with PrE, but is confusing for a newcomer.

Meantime, if you'd like to continue this discussion, please start a new thread so that we don't hijack this one.

Not a problem.  I was just letting you know that if you update or provide errata you might wish to rephrase the sentence.

Ron

• 6. Re: copying edited clips to a new project

Oh, I see what you're saying. I said MOV and the program says Quicktime.

A point so subtle I missed it completely!

It definitely does need correcting, annd it will be in the next edition. Thanks!

• 7. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

In answer to your topic at the header of your thread...the answer is technically and otherwise Yes.

The ClipMate program that Hunt mentioned can be used successfully in both Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and 9.0. I road tested that myself and described a very detailed how to for version 8 which applies fully to version 9.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51325

Versions of Premiere Elements earlier than version 8.0/8.0.1 ran into programs with ClipMate with regard to transitions/audio copy/paste.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
                        fishmor Level 1

Thanks ATR - that workflow worked perfectly for what I was trying to do - I'm thinking I need to do something different since it's hunting season here in South Dakota and I'm going to have a lot of projects to work on, more files on my computer, etc.  I get really frustrated when I'm under the gun for a project and my software crashes - any suggestions??   Thanks, Eric

• 9. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Eric,

As for the crashes, you might want to initiate a new post, and provide all info possible. This ARTICLE will give you tips on what info would be so very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
                            fishmor Level 1

This workflow in clipmate is not working for me now - when I toggle back and forth between PRE and Clipmate, the highlighted selection in clipmate goes blank - any ideas??  Eric

• 11. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

Are you using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 or 9 at this time? It should not matter since ClipMate works with both.

Go back and try again with special focus on my notes at the end of the how to details on what to do if you do not see the necessary display. See link to ClipMate how to in previous post in this thread.

I will be watching for your follow up. From what you wrote previously in this thread, I got the impression that ClipMate worked for you previously in Premiere Elements, but is not now. Is that correct?

ATR

• 12. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
                                fishmor Level 1

Yes it worked great - I am not trying to copy an entire timeline, just several edited clips - maybe this is the problem,

Eric

• 13. Re: copying edited clips to a new project
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric

Where are these clips and how are you selecting them for copy? Are you selecting all before copy, followed by paste? Or something else?

I do not have ClipMate currently installed on my computer. If necessary, I will install it and check it out according to the details of what you are trying to copy/paste and how.

ATR

Add On Note....that ClipMate how to was done using a computer with operating system Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit. I have upgraded to Windows 7 Professional which comes with a Windows XP Mode (Virtual WIndows XP Professional SP3 32 bit). From what I have read there are problems with ClipMate in 64 bit related to the ClipBar. Did you change operating systems from 32 bit one to a 64 bit one. I think not, but I thought that I had better ask, just in case. If it is necessary I will try to download and install ClipMate in the Window XP Mode. If that is successful, I will try to replicate what you are doing according to the details that you post.