8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2010 10:25 PM by Powered by Design

Export to tape issues

Lee_Guy12

Hi Everyone,

(First time poster)

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a new HP tower: Windows 7 Home 64bit Intel I7 Processor 8gb ram ATI 1gb video card with CS5 Production Premium.

When I try to 'Export To Tape' -on various Professional level decks and cameras-, (Sony DSR-45 & 1500, Panasonic DV 200, Sony PD-170), the audio/video comes out intermittent with 'stutters' or goes to black and then comes back,etc.

Now I have the firewire cable set on Legacy and when I use CS3- same machine- I have no issues or errors so it's not the firewire cable. I keep checking the Sequence Settings on PP CS5 but it doesn't work. I chose Hardware if supported, Software, None, etc.

I believe I've seen others with this same issue and, at least from what I saw, there isn't a fix yet.

This seems to be the only issue that I'm having as I'm burning to DVD and then going Out of my DVD Player to the camera via RCA which doesn't really keep the quality.

Hopefully I gave enough information and would love to get some other thoughts opinions for a Fix or Workaround if there is one. I have All my adobe products updated to their latest versions so I don't really know what else to do.

Thanks Everyone and I Hope to hear back from you guy's soon :-)

Lee.

• 1. Re: Export to tape issues
          Lee_Guy12 Level 1

Can someone Please help if you know a fix and/or a workaround

• 2. Re: Export to tape issues
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Do you have more than one disk drive on your computer?  Do you have indexing turned off.  CS5 requires a lot more processingc power than CS3.  Have you tuned that new OS with all the garbage that comes with a factory computer.  Try running our Premiere Pro BenchMark PPBM5 and see how it performs compared to other systems.

• 3. Re: Export to tape issues
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

Read Harm on drive setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972?tstart=0
              - click the embedded picture in Harm's message to enlarge to reading size
              - you need AT LEAST 2 drives for video editing, 3 is better
              - some HD formats work better with (require) RAID

Read Hunt on Partitions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Export to tape issues
                Lee_Guy12 Level 1

Hi,

Yes, I have the 1tb drive the came with this computer and I have a secondary 1tb drive just for editing. I still have over 712gigs of free space on it. Right now indexing isn't turned off but I'll try that and I do have all the not needed stuff gone from the computer.

I just really hope that I don't need to do an uninstall reinstall but this is such an odd, to me anyway, issue that I've never experienced before.

Yes, I use this comp for the internet but it's primarily an editing machine... Yet one not 100% yet.

Thanks for your help and the other Gentleman and I'll try each and every step you both mentioned and will let you know.

If anyone else has any thoughts ideas in the meantime, Please let me know.

Appreciate It!!

• 5. Re: Export to tape issues (Update)
                  Lee_Guy12 Level 1

Hi All,

Ok, I've traced this issue even further and now see that I have the ' export to tape issues' when I have an external device hooked up and then try to export to tape. What happens is, (even if I'm not recording to the deck at the moment), my timeline will stutter briefly at a couple different points leading to the drop out on the Deck/camera when linked together.

When I am just playing directly onto the timeline on my desktop and the deck/camera isn't hooked up, there isn't any stuttering/struggling to play or any other issues of any kind.

So why does the video briefly 'struggle at a couple different points to play through a shot or two' when an External Device is hooked up?

I have a 5 week old HP Dekstop Windows 7 64 bit w Intel I7 2.8 with 8gbs of DDR3 RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5570 1gb DDR3. 1TB C Drive and 1TB Editing only Internal WD Drive both with 715 gigs of space. Also, a Lacie 1TB External ESATA Drive.

Used two FireWire cables to test it out, they were set to legacy - now changed back to the most updated driver-

I have CS3 Master Collection and CS5 Production Premium. And both versions 'struggle briefly- at a couple points- to play through a shot or two'. It's not like I have heavy effects there either. Defualt Cross Dissolve for 15 frames going from one B-Roll shot to another.

(Last HP only had CS3 and I never experienced these problems. Last video card was a NVidia 8400GS PCI Express 16 w 512 DDR2. M8100N Media Center, AMD 2.8 processor Windows 7 32bit via upgrade from Vista 3 gigs of DDR2 ram.)

Standard DV SD settings with a Sony DSR-45 deck. Checked Sequence Settings and Edit Preferences, etc.

Q: Is this all because of ATI video card... hard to believe and I hope not!!

All settings are correct and match and I can capture and Export Media with no issues, just when I try to play a Sequence on the timeline while an External Device is hooked up to the system.

Any thoughts, questions, or help will be Most Appreciated

Thanks!

Lee.

• 6. Re: Export to tape issues (Update)