17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2010 4:39 PM by Andrew_Hart

JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK

lukeabeck_cs5

Using ACR 6.2 & Bridge CS5 (v4.0.3.9)  After the most recent update  I started noticing that various jpegs & tiffs are really overexposed when viewing them in Bridge.  If  I open the file in Camera Raw or Photoshop it displays properly.  I can even open the file in Camera Raw and just hit the "done" button and then go back to bridge and the file will display properly.

Not sure aht is causing it and I have a quick fix to open the file and close it but its a pain in the butt.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I'm assuming its an issue with the most recent update because it just started happening after I did that.  It appears to only be a display issue and the actual files are ok but its troublesome when numerous files are displaying like they have been way overexposed.

Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix permanently fix it?

• 1. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
          dfranzen_adobe Level 3

How are JPEG and TIFF handling set in your Camera Raw preferences? How are your Bridge thumbnail and preview generation preferences set (prefere embedded or one of the high-quality settings)? What happens if you select the JPEGs in Bridge and use right-click > Purge cache for selection? Does this happen for JPEGs that already have some camera raw settings (does the camera raw settings badge appear for the thumbnails), or the first time you open the files? Once you open a JPEG in Camera Raw and made some adjustments and click "Done", does the Bridge thumbnail and preview update so it matches what you saw in Camera Raw?

• 2. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
            lukeabeck_cs5 Level 1

Both are set to "auto open with settings". 

Cant find settings for Bridge Thumbnail preview? 

The file still stays overexposed when I right click and select purge cache.  It only happens to jpegs that have already been edited in camera raw.

Yes, if I simply open the offended jpeg and click "done" in camera raw, the bridge preview will show it the way its suppose to

• 3. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
              lukeabeck_cs5 Level 1

Both are set to "auto open with settings".   Cant find settings for Bridge

Thumbnail preview?  The file still stays overexposed when I right click and

select purge cache.  It only happens to jpegs that have already been edited

in camera raw.  Yes, if I simply open the offended jpeg and click "done" in

camera raw, the bridge preview will show it the way its suppose to.

• 4. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                lukeabeck_cs5 Level 1

I just noticed something interesting.  Originally I had photoshop handle the camera raw edits. So when I double clicked on a RAW file through bridge, camera raw would open it through photoshop.  Today I changed the setting so that when a RAW file is double clicked it opens in Bridge, not photoshop.  Well ...

If I have RAW files set to open in Bridge, then my quick fix of opening an overexposed JPEG and clicking "done" does not work.  The JPEG in bridge is still showing overexposed even though its not.  If I change the setting so that RAW files open in Photoshop, then when I open a JPEG that is overexposed and click "done" it updates properly in bridge.

So the shortciut fix that works for me will only work if RAW files are handled through photoshop and not bridge. As soon as I change that setting so RAW files are opened in Bridge, the JPEG will not get fixed by clicking done.

• 5. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                  Yammer Level 4

There appears to be a bug emerging in the last month, over in the Bridge forum. It seems to manifest itself when editing non-raw files in Camera Raw. Even if it's a simple crop, the resulting Bridge preview/thumbnail is significantly over-exposed. This only seems to apply to images adjusted in Camera Raw.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3252125#3252125

• 6. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                    Yammer Level 4

Here's how I can replicate it:

With default JPEG/TIFF handling Camera Raw settings (open JPEGs/TIFFs with settings), and Bridge HQ thumbnails on demand...

In Bridge, find a JPEG which hasn't been edited in any way (like from a compact camera). Open it in Camera Raw (using Ctrl-R). Crop the image. Hit Done. The preview and thumbnail become over-exposed.

Clear develop settings. The preview is still over-exposed.

Purge the cache for the image. The preview is still over-exposed.

Apply previous conversion. The exposure returns to normal.

Clear develop settings. The preview becomes over-exposed again.

If you change ACR JPEG handling setting to "disable JPEG support", over-exposed previews return to normal.

• 7. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                      dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Until a fix is available for this bug, please try the following workaround. After cropping the JPEG in the Camera Raw dialog, select "Export Settings to XMP" from the fly-out menu in the Camera Raw dialog, then click "Done".

Thanks,

David Franzen

• 8. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                        Curt Y Level 6

If I have RAW files set to open in Bridge, then my quick fix of opening an overexposed JPEG and clicking "done" does not work.  The JPEG in bridge is still showing overexposed even though its not.  If I change the setting so that RAW files open in Photoshop, then when I open a JPEG that is overexposed and click "done" it updates properly in bridge.

This issue was brought to my attention in the Bridge Forum.  My tests confirm what you see.

Open jpeg in ACR from Bridge, crop and click Done.  The thumbnail is overexposed.  However, if you click Save Image and save with modified name the thumbnail is OK.

Also, if image opened in PS (open as - camera raw) the image cropped and Done clicked the thumbnail is OK.

Therefore, it appears that ACR 32 bit has a bug (Bridge is 32 bit program), and ACR 64 bit (PS)  is OK.  I have not started PS in 32 bit mode to test this out however.

• 9. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                          Lystimäki

I use CS5 in Win7. I open a jpg file in Camera Raw and crop. Where do I find the "Export Settings to XMP" from the fly-out menu?

Forget this question, I found it.

Message was edited by: Lystimäki

• 10. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                            Andrew_Hart Level 2

dfranzen adobe Employee wrote in post #7:

"Until a fix is available for this bug, please try the following workaround. After cropping the JPEG in the Camera Raw dialog, select "Export Settings to XMP" from the fly-out menu in the Camera Raw dialog, then click "Done".

Since you are looking into this ACR-crop-overerxposure problem, can I ask that you you also consider the overexposure problem discussed in the thread entitled "ACR 6.3RC still makes Bridge display some TIFFs & JPGs overexposed" in this Camera Raw thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/745757?tstart=0

It seems to me that these problems are more than likely arising from a similar or possibly related cause, and fixing one may well have an influence, but not necessarily a "corrective" influence, upon the other.

In this current "ACR-crop-overexposure" thread ("JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK"), I experience the same, but also additional, issues as the OP and other the posters, with the same versions of Ps and Bridge, but ACR 6.3RC instead of ACR 6.2, installed.

In summary, these issues occur with ALL my JPGs and TIFFs, whether colour or B&W, whether native from the camera (Nikon D700 and  Canon EOS 300D) or scanner (16-bit TIFFs from a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED and an Epson Perfection 4990), whether or not the JPG or TIFF has ever been prior-processed in ANY version of ACR, and even any JPG or TIFF produced at any time (intermediate or final) during an editing session where that image is "derived" from a raw file (NEF or CRW), a PSD, or a TIFF.

1. Opening in ACR hosted by Bridge from Bridge (Ctrl+R), Crop, Done, back to Bridge:

(a) - thumbnail displays roughly 1 stop (possibly more - difficult to estimate sometimes) overexposed;

(b) - thumbnail displays the Crop icon (only - not the edited in "ACR icon") in top right corner;

(c) - Develop Settings/Clear Settings: clears the crop, clears the Crop icon, but overexposure remains AND, WITH A COLOUR IMAGE, the Reds are oversatured - sometimes heavily so;

(d) - Develop Settings/Previous Conversion (immediately following (c)): eliminates the overexposure, restores the ACR icon (but NOT the Crop icon), does NOT restore the crop, AND, WITH A COLOUR IMAGE, the oversaturated Reds remain.

2. Opening in ACR hosted by Ps from Ps (File/Open As/Camera Raw), Crop, Done, back to Bridge:

(a) - thumbnail displays NO overexposure, AND, WITH A COLOUR IMAGE, the Reds are NOT oversatured;

(b) - thumbnail displays BOTH the Crop icon and the ACR icon in top right corner;

(c) - Develop Settings/Clear Settings: clears BOTH the Crop and ACR icons, clears the crop, BUT, the thumbnail now displays the 1 stop overexposure;

(d) - Develop Settings/Previous Conversion (immediately following (c)): eliminates the overexposure, restores the ACR icon but NOT the Crop icon, does NOT restore the crop, and colour images continue to display NO oversaturation of Reds.

None of the abberant behaviour outlined 1. and 2. above occurs when ACR 6.1 is installed in place of ACR 6.3RC.

• 12. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                              Yammer Level 4

MadManChan2000 wrote:

Working on a fix.

Eric's the Man.

• 13. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                                Andrew_Hart Level 2

Thanks, Eric.

In case it helps, to qualify my last post ( #10):

After testing further images, the oversaturation mentioned in para 1(c) does seem to extend to other colours (particularly Green and Blue), its just that it appears most noticeable in the Reds with my images. Strangely, if after invoking Develop Settings/Clear Settings I rename the file, the para 1(c) oversaturation is eliminated.

• 14. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                                  Andrew_Hart Level 2

Eric,

The final release of ACR 6.3 has, at least for me, fixed the overexposure problem formerly present when simply cropping a TIFF or JPEG in 6.2 and 6.3RC. For that fix, many thanks.

However, I am still experiencing similar oversaturation problems (to those reported in my earlier posts in this thread) when clearing the crop in Bridge (now updated to version 4.0.4.2). Develop Settings/Clear Settings removes the crop, clears the Crop Icon, but leaves the image quite heavily oversatured in Reds (including skin tones), Yellows and Browns, and less heavily oversaturated in Blues and Greens.

I can get around this in 2 ways. Simply changing folders and returning to the folder with the affected image removes the oversaturation. Alternatively, reopening the image in Bridge and choosing either Done or Cancel returns to Bridge which again displays the image with no oversaturation. Nevertheless, having to resort to these workarounds is a nuisance.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

• 15. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                                    MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Hi Andrew, unfortunately I have not been able to repro the saturation side effect that you're seeing. The overexposure problem was easily reproduced on my side, so I was able to fix that for the final 6.3/3.3 releases. I will have to check with one of my colleagues about this.

• 16. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                                      dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Hi Andrew,

I can get around this in 2 ways. Simply changing folders and returning to the folder with the affected image removes the oversaturation. Alternatively..

What about doing a refresh in Bridge? Hit F5 or choose "Refresh" from the View menu?

Thanks,

David

• 17. Re: JPEGS Overexposed in Bridge but are actually OK
                                        Andrew_Hart Level 2

David,

Yes, F5 works for both TIFFs and JPEGs. Thanks.

Still, there must be something wrong if I have to resort to these workarounds at all. Do you think  it's just my system, or has anyone else reported the same problem? In the initial posts in this thread, that was certainly the case with respect to 6.2 and 6.3RC. Maybe others simply have'nt had the time or inclination to do the tests since the update to 6.3 final release.