6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 8:49 AM by the_wine_snob

why cant I see the video frames in the timeline view?

rschinasi

When creating a new video editing  project, I cant see the movie frames in the timeline view. I'm not sure why, but I've been pulling my hair out trying to see what I looks like in the tutorial. Even if I have multiple scenes added, they don't appear in the timeline as video 1,2,3, etc(stacked vertically).  I'm unable to utilize the editing functions of timeline without having the movies clips broken down into individual frames. Please help me understand what Im doing wrong!!

• 1. Re: why cant I see the video frames in the timeline view?
          nealeh Level 5

Toggle the display setting:

1.jpg

If this does not make the clips visible then there is probably a more significant problem, most likely relating to the source of your clip and the project setting you are using. In this case check out Got a Problem? How to Get Started which will you give you guidance on the information needed to help you out.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: why cant I see the video frames in the timeline view?
            rschinasi Level 1

Thanks for the reply. The Toggle display does stretch out the clips but doesnt still won't show frames. This is all I can see in the timeline view.

I'm using quicktime movies. I notice on the help images the movie files are AVI. could that be the issue?

Untitled picture.png

• 3. Re: why cant I see the video frames in the timeline view?
              nealeh Level 5

Looking at your screen shot you need to expand the height of the timeline or scroll it up. The shot is showing only the audio track - the video track is above the audio track.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: why cant I see the video frames in the timeline view?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As Neale points out, that screen-cap is showing just the bottom section, that Neale showed - only the Audio. You will have the Waveform there, but need to scroll up to see the Video.

Also, each of the Tracks (Audio, and Video), can be vertically expanded. In the Track Header, you will need to hover your cursor, near the top of the Video, or Audio, Track, until it turns into a double line with arrowheads. At that point, click-drag to vertically expand. It is a bit of a "pixel hunt," so be patient, and watch for the cursor to change.

Also, one has three positions on the Video Display, where you can display All Frames, First & Last and None w/ just the Clip name. All three are available in PrPro, and I believe that they are the same, or very similar in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: why cant I see the video frames in the timeline view?
                  nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

Also, one has three positions on the Video Display, where you can display All Frames, First & Last and None w/ just the Clip name. All three are available in PrPro, and I believe that they are the same, or very similar in PrE.

Yes Bill, that is the purpose of the button I highlighted in Reply 1. Each click cycles through the various display styles.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: why cant I see the video frames in the timeline view?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Did I get the full range of the toggle correct for PrE? Sometimes, I get confused between PrPro and PrE, especially with later versions of PrE.

When actually editing, many people will look at the Video on the Timeline with the full All Frames, but then toggle to perhaps First, or First & Last, or more likely, the None, and use the Program Monitor to find the exact Frame to do cuts.

Good luck,

Hunt