2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2010 11:04 PM by Mylenium

Rotobrush: freeze/span/unfreeze/remove span etc... Huh?

mindsclay

I am having a bit of an issue with the whole freeze/span/unfreeze/remove span deal. I froze what I had rotoscoped so far, but it also froze frames that were not refined by me. I cannot now fix those frames because they are frozen. If I click "freeze" again then all the freezing is gone and I have to refreeze from the beginning (or at least that is the way it appears). I eventually was able to remove a segment after a new base frame, however when trying to start a new segment, the old one that was deleted comes back. The help documentation is not going into the details enough, or perhaps I can't do what I need to do. It seems that I need to unfreeze, fix the frames, then refreeze, which means new calculations taking up time. Maybe it's not as bad as I think, but I am not sure what to do to finish rotocoping the clip without starting from scratch. Can we delete parts of a frozen segment?? I tried and that deleted segment keeps coming back.

Perhaps more detail on how the freezing/span process works.

• 1. Re: Rotobrush: freeze/span/unfreeze/remove span etc... Huh?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Can we delete parts of a frozen segment?

No. Freezing is for when you're done making your segmentation, and it's an all-or-nothing thing.

The purpose of freezing is to prevent reprocessing of the Roto Brush effect whenever you make an upstream change that shouldn't cause the segmentation to change---such as doing some color correction of a layer that feeds into what you're segmenting.

If you wanted to work on different spans of a clip separately and freeze the segmentation separately, you could split the layer and apply a separate instance of the Roto Brush effect to each.

• 2. Re: Rotobrush: freeze/span/unfreeze/remove span etc... Huh?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Aside from what Todd said, I think you screwed yourself by not defining enough individual spans in the first place, that is placing new strokes outside the temporal threshold (defaults to 20 frames on both sides). Sounds like you are working with huge spans and a single corrective stroke will affect all other frames. that's probably why you are having these performance issues. Otherwise the program will only re-calculate the active span while you are working, but of course freezing will force an analysis across the whole clip, even if you have not yet finished everything....

Mylenium