6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 8:20 AM by the_wine_snob

HELP!  Pre is crashing when I try to delete clips - project due in 4 hrs

fishmor Level 1

I have a 20 min SD video that I need to cut down to 10 minutes - I am trying to remove clips from the beginning of the project, but after I delete 1 clip, pre crashes - what to do??  Eric

• 1. Re: HELP!  Pre is crashing when I try to delete clips - project due in 4 hrs
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry, Eric, but we don't have nearly enough information to help you. There are any number of possible causes for what you're experiencing -- from an improperly formatted project or non-optimized source footage to computer that can't handle the load.

Can you at least tell us what type of camcorder this video came from and which project settings you're using for your Premiere Elements project? How did you get the video into your computer?

What is your operating system? How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?

And, finally -- which version of the program are you using?

• 2. Re: HELP!  Pre is crashing when I try to delete clips - project due in 4 hrs
            fishmor Level 1

Video from Canon XHA1S - project is SD widescreen - 1 TB hard drive and about 1/2 of that is used - 8 Gigs RAM -  Windows 2010 - capture was by playback - hard disk just defragged - running pre 8.01 - Eric

• 3. Re: HELP!  Pre is crashing when I try to delete clips - project due in 4 hrs

I don't know that Premiere Elements 8 can work on an operating system called Windows 2010. Are you sure that's the operating system you're using? Is it fully up to date and do you have the latest versin of Quicktime from Apple.com?

Your camcorder is an HDV camcorder. Are you saying you're downsampling the video from the camcorder and using Premiere Elements to capture it as standard def Dv-AVIs?

I don't know what "capture was by playback" means.

But if you're using Windows 7, Vista or XP on a decently powered machine with ample RAM and you're downsampling your video and editing it in a project set up for standard def widescreen DV, you certainly should have no problems merely trimming down a clip.

• 4. Re: HELP!  Pre is crashing when I try to delete clips - project due in 4 hrs
                fishmor Level 1

Sorry I was a little sleepy - I'm using Windows 7 Steve.  Yes I have the latest version of quicktime - yes my camcorder downconverts HDV to SD and what I meant by "playback" was that I have to play the files into the computer versus a hard drive camcorder.  What I was trying to do was delete out about 10 min of video from a 20 minute project and PRE keeps crashing.  I have no problems trimming clips.  In any case, ATR and Bill Hunt directed me to a program called "clipmate" and that worked for me with ATR's workflow on a previous thread about copying clips from project to project.  Project is done   It's hunting season here in South Dakota and I'm going to have a lot of projects to work on and I don't need software that crashes regularly, but maybe the "software crash" is a common problem in the videography world....?  Thanks, Eric

• 5. Re: HELP!  Pre is crashing when I try to delete clips - project due in 4 hrs

With your video source, you should experience virtually no crashes or other problems with your video work.

You apparently have some outdated software or other instabilities in  your system that may be worth addressing, now that your big project is out of the way.

I detail in my books how to keep your computer running like new. (And believe it or not, even a brand new, fresh off the shelft computer is very much in need of some cleaning and maintenance!)

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer an abbreviated version of my weekly maintenance regimen. You'll be surprised how much stuff it clears off your system!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602

• 6. Re: HELP!  Pre is crashing when I try to delete clips - project due in 4 hrs
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might offer some tips on getting your computer set up for an editing session. For Win7, be sure to see the link to Black Viper's Win7 tune-up, down-thread.

Good luck,

Hunt