4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 7:44 AM by Tminus10web

Compressions for web

matthew stuart Level 2

Hi, I am struggling to get a video of 48 seconds in length to compress to anything less that 14 mb. The trouble is, this is meant to be going on to a website as an introduction video about the company. It's taking far too long to download due to its size, so I have tried numerous ways to reduce its file size, but I am getting nowhere.

I'm hoping to have it as an mp4 so that it can be viewed on iPhones and iPads, but I have been onto youtube and looked at similar length videos, and they are 3.5mb or similar, and there is no delay in video download meaning we don't have to wait for it. The difference is that the videos on youtube are .flv instead of mp4, so how do I ensure they are small enough, yet compatible with iPhone etc?

Thanks.

Mat

• 1. Re: Compressions for web
          Tminus10web Level 2

so how do I ensure they are small enough, yet compatible with iPhone etc?

select the sequence you want to export in the timeline panel, and hit 'ctrl + m'

In the export settings dialog choose the format 'H.264'

The choose the preset 'Apple iPod, Apple iPhone Video

Then look at your estimated file size indicator at the bottom of the dialog (it's right above 'Metadata' button on my PC

The filesize should be well under 14 MB.

Hope that helps

• 2. Re: Compressions for web
            matthew stuart Level 2

OK, that's reduced it by quite an amount, although it is still about twice the size of a similar file on youtube, but it is now playable on an iPhone which is excellent. And it plays instantly rather than waiting for a downlaod Thanks for that.

On average, what sort of file size can I expect one minute's worth of video to be in H.264 for iPhone?

Is there any drawback to using this format for delivering video over the web?

• 3. Re: Compressions for web
              Tminus10web Level 2

It usually takes longer to render... that's the biggest drawback I can think of....

Dunno about the avg size, sorry.

Glad it helped,

David

• 4. Re: Compressions for web
                Tminus10web Level 2

If you choose 'mpeg4' format in the export dialog, and the Preset '3GPP 352 by 288 H.263' it will be a crap ton smaller still, while maintaining compatibility with iPhone.  This will give you speed, with a substantially smaller video and file size

David