13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 10:45 AM by Colin Brougham

CS5 Premere Pro overlay video

images0rla

I am looking to overlay  an individual or put a circle around an a individual in a video clip.

I shoot school football  and need to draw attention to  individual  players. Not sure of the terminology for what I’m looking for.

can you point me in the right direction?  Thanks

• 1. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
          Tminus10web Level 2

Quick and dirty?

Move your CTI to an area where you would like to see the circle.

1. Create a new title by clicking the 'New Item' icon on the bottom of the project panel.

2. Choose video settings to match your project settings and click ok

3. Click on the circle in the 'Title Tools' panel.

4. Draw a circle around the area you want to focus on

5. In the Title Properties panel, click on the drop down menu beside fill and choose 'Ghost'

6. In the Title Properties panel, click on the check box that says 'Inner Stroke

You can also choose a color if you like.  Exit the Titler

Once your back in the original window, you drag and drop the title you just made onto is own new video track... if there isnt one there, right click in the timeline and choose add video track.  Click on the edges of the new title to drag it for the duration you want.

Hope that helps

• 2. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
            Tminus10web Level 2

If you want to follow the motion during video, this gets alot trickier... you have to go into 'Effect Controls' for your new title, and animate its motion over time to follow the action you want to focus on.

If you want to freeze frame and draw a circle around something, that will be alot easier.

Let me know when you get done creating the title, or if you need a hand in the process.  After your done that, we can walk through animating the title, or freeze framing!

David

• 3. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
              Colin Brougham Level 6

This is what the Circle effect (Generate > Circle) is made for:

1. Drop Circle effect on your clip. Swivel open its properties in the ECP.
              2. Set effect's Blending mode to Normal.
              3. Set Edge to one of the "thickness" options (experiment), and set the Thickness parameter to taste.
              4. Set the Color to whatever you want, Radius to whatever you want, add Feather if you like.
              5. Animate the Center property to follow the subject.
              6. Profit!
              • 4. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                Tminus10web Level 2

This is why I love it here.  All of us self taught hacks can get schooled by the pro's and break our horrible habits!   And unlike 10 years ago, I actually love getting schooled and learning better ways!

Thx Colin!

David

• 5. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Perhaps this ARTICLE will be helfpul?

Using similar techniques, one can use a Title with a Shape, say an oval, that has a Stroke, but no Fill, and then Keyframe it to "follow" the subject.

Similar to that would be to do a Title with an "arrow" (I like using a Webdings font, or similar), and then Keyframe it with Motion>Position.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                    images0rla Level 1

Thank you so very much.  That was worth a million. I created the title with red circle,  Now I'll  ready to try the motion using the Effect Controls for the title.

Thanks

• 7. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                      Tminus10web Level 2

So I'm trying it your way, and the circle ends up on the whole clip, instead of just part of it.   By the time I split the clip on either side of the point of interest and apply the generate->circle effect to that slice in the middle, have I really saved any time over creating a title overlay and stretching it?

• 8. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                        images0rla Level 1

Yes, someone else sent  the circle>effect.  I like that one plus I was able to use the animation without creating the title.  I'll keep both. Thanks again.

• 9. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                          images0rla Level 1

Just wanted to say thanks. You saved me time and the money I was going to spend buying something I didn't need.

• 10. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, the easy way to handle this is to just animate the effect's opacity parameter as you see fit (linear keyframes, hold keyframes, whatevah). I like this approach because then the circle is part of the clip, and it moves with the clip; additionally, I think it's easier to change the circle's character with an effect than a graphic.

If you don't want to split the clip (a valid approach) or animate opacity, you could also throw the effect on a transparent clip above your background video. The Circle effect is one that generates its own alpha channel, so it will make "something" out of "nothing." Obviously, you need to be a bit more diligent about keeping this clip in sync with the underlying video, but that's the same as it would be if you used a Title clip for the circle.

• 11. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

You're very welcome. Good luck and have fun!

• 12. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                                Tminus10web Level 2

Your a genius!   I feel like I was just plugged into the Matrix training program and learned like 20 things in 10 seconds!

Thx Colin,

David

• 13. Re: CS5 Premere Pro overlay video
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

HA! In the immortal words of Keanu Reeves, nee Neo:

WHOA.

Just glad you find it helpful!