16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 7:16 PM by the_wine_snob

Help me with picture quality for slideshow.

Snowblizard

Hi I'm David and I'm new to adobe elements and video editing and am trying the elements 9 trial.

I'm trying to learn the software and thought i'd start witha a slideshow vid with some holiday pics.

My first and biggest issue i've come across is the pictures quality is really lousy when i have added them to the video. even thought they are fairly fine 8 mp jpg pictures from my digital camera and looks nice when wieving them outside of elements. Why and how do i solve this?

Also i wonder if there is a way to preview the pictures in big size before ading them to the timeline?

Can i change the time lenght shown for many pictures at the same time instead of changing them one at a time?

Will really apreciate help on this matter.

Thx!

• 1. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

Welcome to the forum.

First, one is much better off by Scaling their still images outside of PrE. This ARTICLE will give some background and some tips.

Also, having the proper Project Preset will go a very long way to getting the best results. For example, one would normally match that Project Preset (at New Project) to their source footage. With stills, it's kind of the other way around, so long as there is no Video involved. One would decide on the output format, say an HD Project, to go to BD (Blu-ray Disc), and set that up. Then, they would Scale their stills to match the specs. of that Project, prior to Importing them into the Project. The less Scaling done in PrE, the better the results will be.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

PS - remember that all Projects in the trial will have a watermark. I do not want you to be surprised.

• 2. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
            Snowblizard Level 1

Hi Bill thx for your reply.

I must say it feels like a huge project to learn to deal with this program even though i've grown upp with computers it feels like it would take several months to be able to freely use this software. I thought it was suposed to be userfriendly but i can't even find some good tutorials.

And this with scaling the images outside of PrE im sure i can learn but it requiers aditional software and learning and remembering, doesnt feel very userfriendly at all as far as for non proffesional use.

I want to learn it but i dont want it to be so hard..

• 3. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The challenge is that this is a big, powerful, professional-style app and you're just using a small fraction of it, Snowblizzard.

I've got a series of Basic Training tutorials that can help you if you'd really like to learn the program.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

These tutorials are supplemented by intermediate and advanced training tutorials as well as with my book series, available on Amazon.com.

But if all you want to do is make video slideshows, you may want to look into a program that's made specifically for creating slideshows. ProShow Gold is an excellent and inexpensive program that's easy to use and produces stellar results! You should check it out.

• 4. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                Snowblizard Level 1

Okey I thought that cs5 was the big really proffesional program.

I want to do much more than just slideshow but thought that would be an easy start and i had the fotage already.

I want with more features than moviemaker or similar but having to use another program to not get bad quality pics is not what i expected.

I'll check your tutorials out.

Thx

• 5. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, PrPro CS5 is the "bigger," REALLY professional application. Still, PrE borrows quite a bit from its "big brother." Of the comparable NLE (Non Linear Editing) programs, it offers most of the great features, and so very much power. However, along with that power comes a bit more effort to tap into it.

Good luck, and do not be daunted. Steve has posted of a great starting point for PrE, and then this forum is another resource, along with Steve's books and his Learning Series, also at Muvipix.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.

One important thought, re slideshows.

Remember that Premiere Elements - as well as Premiere -- is a VIDEO editing program. That means that whatever you put in comes out in video resolution.

Which means that even if you stick in 8 gigabyte photos (which, as Bill points out, is akin to committing Premiere Elements suicide), your results will only be the equivalent of a 640x480 photo. Why? Because that's video resolution. That's all your TV can display. (There's also hi-def video, but even there you're only getting the equivalent of a 1920x1080 photo -- which is still relatively low resolution for photos.)

This is an inherent disadvantage for video slideshows -- but one which is unavoidable. When making slideshows in video, then, the story is more important than the resolution. No video slideshow is going to look even remotely as good as the original photos!

Which is why I suggested ProShow Gold. It creates slideshows for display on computer -- a much higher resolution medium -- and so your slides can look virtually as crisp, clean and detailed as your originals.

Make sense?

• 7. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                      Snowblizard Level 1

Okey i hear you, I will be doing both slideshows and pure videos and a combination of the two so i want to learn this program really well.

I understand the thing about video resolution but what i got from just importing my pics and adding them to timline is not remotly comparable to original tv resolution or better quality standard resolutions found on youtube etc. It's really bad and unclear with whole picture full of little squares.

Maybe this will look better if i folow what Bill wrote about large still images..?

I am also interested in some of the videos to run fairly smoth if uploaded to youtube and not have huge buffering times but should look alright is prio no 1.

• 8. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.

Don't forget to render your timeline when you add photos to it too!

If there's a red line above any clip on your timeline, press Enter so that the program can render it. When it's done the red line will turn green and your playback should look every bit as good as your final output.

Have you rendered your clips before judging the quality?

This is the kind of thing you'll find in my books and, to some extent, in my tutorials.

• 9. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                          Snowblizard Level 1

It is a redline and i don't know what render means and how to do it? Im Swedish.

The premium account looks interesting, what do you offer that might be usefull more than 8 tutorial videos? copywrightfree music is nice but it wasnt a massiv library.

• 10. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                            nealeh Level 5

Also make sure that your monitor panel is set to 100% (right-click in the panel). If set to 'Fit' then then there will be additional scaling going on that will not represent the true output view.

1.png

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                              nealeh Level 5

Snowblizard wrote:

It is a redline and i don't know what render means and how to do it?

Press the [Enter] key and wait until the line goes green.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 12. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                                Pete Marshall Level 4

For photo slide shows, full image editing and a whole lot more the Lightroom is far more usful to you than a video editor. Not least because if you intend to show images at high resolution or project them, even FHD video is nowhere near the resolution of even the lowliest of dSLR's.

There is a 30 day trial available. Give it a wirl as you can edit all your images and create slideshows directly,export slideshows as PDF's and export them as HD video directly from Lightroom itself.

• 13. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                                  Snowblizard Level 1

thx i have done what you said and it looks better now but still not very good but maybe that is cause of the video output resolution.

I will look into Lightroom to. I want to do videos of different kind and slidshows and maybe like powerpointpresentations that i record onscreen and sometimes combine theese in the same project. Will I most likely need several programs for this or can one suffice?

apreciate all the fast and helpfull response iv'e gotten

• 14. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                                    txstatebobcat

Im new to this thing. I tried to import a highlights that i have on a DVD and when i do it says Adobe is not responding.. So i rip the dvd and saved it to my computer the quality is pretty desent. But when i import it to adobe the picture quality is pretty bad. I imported a sample video that came with my computer and that video quality is bad also. I wanna is know is it just like that because its on adobe or is it going to burn like that or what??? Help gettin really frustrated

• 15. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that you have several responses in your post on this subject.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Help me with picture quality for slideshow.
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

When it comes to blending Video and stills, I think that Lightroom will not prove to be that useful. It is a great program for processing general stills, though I still rely on the full Photoshop for such.

For HD SlideShows on a computer, I would also recommend the ProShow programs, Gold and Producer. If one is producing DVD, or BD, then PrE is a great program. It all depends on the final output, and what the source material is.

Good luck,

Hunt