4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2010 7:25 AM by forgetfulgentleman

Need 50 states of same page

forgetfulgentleman

First time poster, looking for some help on dealing with the 20 state limit in Catalyst.  I know that the typical answer to this type of question is to use Custom Components but after trying this, I don't think that will work for my specific needs (although I would love to be wrong).

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:  I have a US map with two layers, the top layer is gray and the bottom is red.  Each US state is its own vector image and I have converted each into a button in FC.  There are hidden layers to the right of the map that list the retail stores that carry my company's products by state.  What I want to happen is that when each state (geographic, not FC) is rolled over, the gray layer for that state disappears (turning it red) and the list of stores for that state appear to the right.  I found this very simple to do until I reached the 20 state limit. 

I've tried using a custom component but run into the same issue, I bump into the 20 state limit just one level down.

I'd really appreciate any help with this!

Thanks,
      Nate

• 1. Re: Need 50 states of same page
          Frank Garofalo

Hey Nate,

Have you tried the following:

1. Turn each US State into a separate button component to handle the mouse effect of gray to red.
          2. Direct the onClick transition of each US State to a separate custom component with the needed information. You can reuse graphical assets within custom components.

-Frank

• 2. Re: Need 50 states of same page
            forgetfulgentleman Level 1

Frank,

Thanks for your reply.

I have each US state as a separate button component.  The trouble I'm having is that when I convert the Store Listing information to a custom component for the buttons to link to, I am still limited by only being able to create 20 states.  Am I missing something?

• 3. Re: Need 50 states of same page
              Frank Garofalo Level 1

forgetfulgentleman wrote:

Frank,

Thanks for your reply.

I have each US state as a separate button component.  The trouble I'm having is that when I convert the Store Listing information to a custom component for the buttons to link to, I am still limited by only being able to create 20 states.  Am I missing something?

You said you are converting "the Store Listing information to a custom component for the buttons to link to, I am still limited by only being able to create 20 states." What do you have on the 20 states of a single custom component?

• 4. Re: Need 50 states of same page
                forgetfulgentleman Level 1

I finally created a workable solution although it took a long time and I'm sure its not the most elegant way to solve this.  I converted each store list into a custom component with two states, one where the info is visible and one where it is not.  The store listings are all visible on Page 2 while Page 1 just shows the map.  I have the geographic states separately as buttons to handle the change from gray to red.  On Click, the buttons go to Page 2 and the visible FC state of that particular US state and the invisible states of the other US states.  So each button has 51 interactions.  It took a long time to do but seems to be working perfectly in the end.  Is there a better way to do this?