8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 8:36 PM by Harm Millaard

To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question

Tminus10web Level 2

I'm finding rendering, and also inconsistent general operations lag in Premiere and Encore. 

(fyi I have a 5 disk raid5 NAS connected to my non-DHCP network via gigabit switch with Cat6, with jumbo frames enabled @ 9k which may very well be the bottleneck, I'm no network guru)

Here is my systeminfo:

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

OS Version:                6.1.7600 N/A Build 7600

OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation

OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation

OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free

Registered Owner:          Owner

Original Install Date:     4/17/2010, 4:27:17 PM

System Boot Time:          10/7/2010, 10:31:08 PM

System Manufacturer:       Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model:              X58A-UD3R

System Type:               x64-based PC

Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 GenuineInt

el ~1995 Mhz

BIOS Version:              Award Software International, Inc. F5, 3/11/2010

Windows Directory:         C:\Windows

System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume2

System Locale:             en-us;English (United States)

Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)

Time Zone:                 (UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

Total Physical Memory:     6,142 MB

Available Physical Memory: 2,675 MB

Virtual Memory: Max Size:  12,283 MB

Virtual Memory: Available: 6,734 MB

Virtual Memory: In Use:    5,549 MB

Network Card(s):           1 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Eth

ernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS 250

So, is overclocking likely to be of any benefit in my case? 

Also, how much of a step up in performance in render and general operation should I expect if I double my DDR3 to 12GB, and purchase a graphics card with GPU?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question
          JaysonM-Y Level 3

>_>

No offense, but your specs resemble the type I'd see on a laptop.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

check those entry level requirements.... of course I'm suspecting that you're using CS5.... am I right?

• 2. Re: To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question
            Tminus10web Level 2

yes I'm using CS5...

System requirements

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 requires a 64-bit operating system. (Check)

Windows

• Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required (Check -  8 processing cores)
            • 64-bit operating system required: Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 or Windows® 7 (Check)
            • 2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended) (Check - I have 6)
            • 10GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash-based storage devices)
            • 7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed (Check  - Raid5)
            • 1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card (Check  - x2)
            • Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance (NOPE)
            • Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape for SD/HD workflows ( not sure)
            • OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device (Check)
            • Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model (Check)
            • DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media) (Check)
            • QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for QuickTime features (Check)
            • Broadband Internet connection required for online services* (Check)
            What was I supposed to get out of reading the specs?  With the exception of the GPU card, I've surpassed these requirements...
            And what of the questions I asked?   How should I prioritize the following improvements (ie which will result in the biggest fastest improvements)
            Not using a NAS?
            Overclock?
            Double my 6 GB ram?
            GPU card?

• 3. Re: To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question
              JaysonM-Y Level 3

what I forgot to add was that bare minimum/slightly over still results in some performance issues. Could you explain your workflow a bit more? Especially the type of media used, and have you had this trouble before?

• 4. Re: To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question
                Tminus10web Level 2

My main question is simply whether overclocking could be of benefit on any level.   Basically, I want to know what are the merits, and I supplied my System Spec's in case someone could gain insight into whether or not overclocking would benefit my specific scenario.

• 5. Re: To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question
                  JaysonM-Y Level 3

My apologies for not addressing the question that was indeed your question. And also for not analyzing your specs lists properly.

IMHO a memory double and a new GTX 470 for MPE would be great help. And overclocking, as long as you're up to it, would give a nice little performance boost.

Other forum members(cues Harm/Eric) could attests for the benefits if they are major or otherwise. I(stuck in SD world only dealing with HD scarcely) never really had the need to OC my work stations.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question
                    Tminus10web Level 2

Thanks... hopefully I can talk to one of them, as I have read all kinds of variations over the web on the success and value of OC'ing.   A new GC and more RAM are on the list... just need a boost now without the extra expense.

Thx again Jayson,

David

• 7. Re: To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

There are a number of remarkable bottlenecks in your system, that even heavy overclocking will not alleviate, but first run http://www.piriform.com/speccy to give a short summary of your system and post a screenshot. It is easier to read than your current listing.

What are the bottlenecks:

Only 6 GB of memory, a mediocre video card (some might say an entry level MPE card) and a single NIC based NAS, even though you use jumbo frames, which is positive.

With CS5, being a 64 bit application (or suite of applications) 6 GB memory is a very limiting factor. 12 GB appears to be a practical lower limit to benefit from this 64 bit archtecture and going beyond that up to 24 GB can make a huge difference in performance. Much more than overclocking can ever achieve.

A mediocre (or entry level) video card means that there is a lot more traffic on the PCIe bus than with either more memory installed or more CUDA cores available, because handing over from CPU - memory - GPU - VRAM - GPU - memory - CPU takes place more frequently than when you have bigger buckets. As an analogy, consider a fire to be extinguished and you only have small buckets available, it requires more buckets to be passed along the line than with large buckets, it requires more coordination to keep the flow of buckets going and takes more time to put out the fire.

A five disk raid5 NAS over Gigabit, even with jumbo frames, is way slower than a local array by a factor of around three times.

To answer your immediate question, overclocking will speed up your CPU and may, depending on your memory, increase memory speed a bit, but will that help to increase performance? I guess not really, since your system already has bottlenecks and increasing the performance of one component will not improve the other components performance. Instead, the CPU will be waiting longer for the other components to finish their tasks.

If you want to improve your systems performance, look at the amount of memory, a better video card and local storage or improve your NAS connection to use dual (teamed) NIC's first.

If you post your Speccy results, I may be able to give you more accurate info on overclocking. Meanwhile read this: Adobe Forums: Overclocking the i7, a beginners guide

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: To overclock, or not to overclock... that is my question
                        Tminus10web Level 2

Here is the Summary: (let me know if you want to see more specific)

summary.png

Thanks a ton for your input, and that link!   That article is so on the money!

Now I have to go and learn what all my specs mean so I have a clue what half of the article means...  lol.

Thx,
                        David