3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2010 12:42 AM by Mylenium

After Effects CS5 freeze on project load with missing files

Nic Johnson

Mac with 10.6.4

Open a CS4 project file with missing assets. It opens and converts to a new untitled document. Save the document and close. Open it again and it the application freezes up when loading the last bit of project files. Spinning beach ball forever. No error. It looks to be hitting a few missing files in the project but instead of putting up a "X number of files are missing since you last saved this project" message it locks up.

I tried to open the older file again and find or delete all the missing file references but midway through that process I got the beach ball again. Now it freezes up just loading the older CS4 file.

Any ideas? Much thanks.

• 1. Re: After Effects CS5 freeze on project load with missing files
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Most importantly: Where are the files stored and what kind of files are they? Such issues are quite common with network drives or external drives in power saving mode, both cases causing the operating system to work based on outdated file info and in turn all apps falling victim to that. Could of course laso be something with your CoDecs and specific source formats.... More info!

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects CS5 freeze on project load with missing files
            Nic Johnson Level 1

Files are on two different external drives, as is the project file itself. What I have done is copy the project file to my internal hard drive, disconnect all external drives, open the file and... it opens. At that point everything is missing, right. But I cleaned up the file, tossed out anything that wasn't totally necessary (this file is two years in the making). I saved it. Leaving it open I plugged the drives back in and started to reconnect the files to their references. I made sure there were no missing files. Closed, quit, and restarted and it worked. I lost a few things but nothing I couldn't rebuild pretty quickly. I suspect one of the reference files was corrupt? Maybe not, because the project file worked in CS4. Maybe a 32bit to 64bit conversion issue? Not sure but I'm back up and running.

Thank you for responding. Hopefully this info will benefit someone else. Twas frustrating. These boards are a great resource.

• 3. Re: After Effects CS5 freeze on project load with missing files
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Mac64 bit uses a different file I/O API as opposed to the old 32bit one, so it's possible there is some issue with converting file paths. As far as I understand, OSX also uses a different system to calculate the unique identification for external drives, which may further have interfered. well, anyway, glad you could work your way around the issue...

Mylenium