6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 6:42 PM by A.T. Romano

More Serious Premiere Elements 9 Display Issues/Another Adobe Fix

A.T. Romano Level 7

In Premiere Elements 9 Get Media/"DVD Camcorder or PC   Drive", we find the Video Importer which replaces the Adobe Media Downloader of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. When exploring ripping VOBs from a DVD-VIDEO with feature, I ran into serious Premiere Elements 9 ONLY display problems

a.  A thumbnail image of the VOB would present in the Video Importer Media Area, but the new preview window in the Video Importer would preview/playback the VOB’s audio, but the preview window of the Video Importer would not display the video (black screen instead).

and

b. When the VOB was copied by the Video Importer to the workspace’s Media Area and Timeline, there was an image of the VOB in its thumbnail in the Media Area, but the video on video track 1 was not displaying in the Edit Mode Monitor. Audio was OK. Oddly, this non AVCHD and non DV AVI content was presenting with no red line over the Timeline AND, if you did a minor edit to force a red line over that Timeline, then the red line would appear over that Timeline content and that Timeline content would then display in the Edit Mode Monitor.

c. In the same time frame as when the above was encountered in Premiere Elements 9 tryout, all was working just fine in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 with same “everything” in this regard.

After much unsuccessful exploration and experimentation of the issue, I was fortunate to find the Adobe documentation on this which directed the issue to JUST the Premiere Elements 9 tryout and its VideoRenderer.dll for which Adobe supplied a downloadable replacement. See route Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 9\

See the Adobe documentation “Playback Issues in trial versions of Adobe Premiere Elements 9”

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/870/cpsid_87080.html

Although the documentation says “This playback issue would be most likely seen with TOD, DSLR, HDV, MOD, VOB file formats in case matching project preset is used”, I suspect that this problematic VideoRenderer.dll may have created display issues outside of the confines of that statement. More on that another time.

ATR

• 1. Re: More Serious Premiere Elements 9 Display Issues/Another Adobe Fix
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Good find, Tony!

May I move this post over to our Tips & Tricks area for future reference?

• 2. Re: More Serious Premiere Elements 9 Display Issues/Another Adobe Fix
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I spent hours trying to figure out what looked like a bug in the new Video Importer as well as the video card issues presented in a prior thread here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067?tstart=90

I did that with the thought to save others all that troubleshooting time that could be best spent creating projects with Premiere Elements 9. According to or as implied by Adobe is this VideoRenderer.dll that is supposed to be just a Premiere Elements 9 trial version issue. I should have the purchased version soon to see if these issues do carry over to the purchased (with serial number) version.

Bottom line: Since you are the moderator of this forum, I will leave it up to you as to the placement of this information that best services the Premiere Elements 9 users.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: More Serious Premiere Elements 9 Display Issues/Another Adobe Fix
              nealeh Level 5

Just for information there is also a 'videorenderer.dll' in '\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer\CAHeadless'. The Adobe Knowledge Base note does *NOT* say to replace that one.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: More Serious Premiere Elements 9 Display Issues/Another Adobe Fix
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Please read the Adobe Tech Note again.

The Adobe people in the TechNote tell us to isolate the Premiere Elements 9 trial version VideoRenderer.dll by putting it in a special folder in its original location and then to download the "approved" VideoRenderer.dll from them and place it in this same location. I can see the rationale in that since

a. placing two files with the same file name in the same place would create problem

b. you might want to get rid of the "approved" Video Renderer.dll and revert back to the one that came with the trial version.

Whatever the case, you are using the "approved" VideoRenderer.dll instead of the original that came with the trial version.

I call that replacement of the original VideoRenderer.dll no matter how you cut it.

ATR

• 5. Re: More Serious Premiere Elements 9 Display Issues/Another Adobe Fix
                  nealeh Level 5

? I was just making a comment that the Trial install has a videorenderer.dll file in *two* separate places, but that the Adobe note only tells you to replace *one*. I was emphasising that point in case a user thought that both needed to be replaced. My comment was to reinforce the Adobe note by warning users *not* to replace the second copy. Unless I've misunderstood the Adobe note I think you misunderstood my comment.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: More Serious Premiere Elements 9 Display Issues/Another Adobe Fix
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

I did misunderstand what you wrote because the Adobe instructions are clearly stated and the user would have to go a distance to wander

FROM: the instructed course (Program Files/Adobe/Premiere Elements 9/VideoRenderer.dll included with files and folders in the Premiere Elements Folder in this path)

TO: an errant course (Program Files/Adobe/Elements 9 Organizer/CA Headless/VideoRenderer.dll included with files and folders in the CA Headless Folder).

It was interesting to note that both Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and 9 have a file named VideoRenderer.dll in each of these locations.

I think that we are OK now on what you were saying vs what I thought you meant. At this point, I do not know the specific working of these files. I just know if the Adobe instructions are followed as in the link cited, this specific display issue described at the onset is gone from Premiere Elements 9.

ATR