18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2011 3:22 AM by J Maggs

After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles

J Maggs

Hello all,

Was hoping someone could help me out with a wierd problem I am having trying to apply timewarp with after effects CS5.

I have previously used it for high quality slow motion using the pixel motion option in PPro CS4. Heres what I do.

While in PPro CS5 i would select the small portion(clip) I wish to apply the timewarp to and use the "Replace with after effects composition option." This opens the clip in after affects as normal and is fine at that point. My selected clip appears on the AE timeline ready to play with. Now....

When I apply the "Time Warp" effect, the clip on the timeline changes to a completely different one. I don't mean it changes to a different point on the clip that was imported, I mean it changes to a completely different clip where the footage I wanted to apply it to isn't even available. As soon as I delete the time warp effect the original clip returns. This has happened to me now on my last 3 projects.

If anyone has any ideas where I may be going wrong I would appreciate it. But as it is at the moment I can't use timewarp.

Thanks

John

• 1. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I suppose it's a bug where AE incorrectly reports rthe footage duration and in- and out-points. To avoid it, I would simply render ther clips to a new master clip in Premiere and use that in place of the original trimemd clip.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
            J Maggs Level 1

Thanks Mylenium, will give it a run.

• 3. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
              J Maggs Level 1

Well still no luck. Tried rendering the entire clip and imported it into After Effects. As soon as the time warp effects was applied the section of footage I needed was no where to be found. I must be missing something. Seemed so easy in CS4. But then again that was when it was possible to do it in Premiere Pro CS4. I only seem to be running into drama since trying it in After Effects.

• 4. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles

Does the effect render the footage correctly if you set it to 100% speed? Does the content change if you split the clip in AE? if so, then the behavior is normal and logigal - it is merely showiing you the frames as they would be after the slowdown, which defualts to 50% speed.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                  J Maggs Level 1

Hi again, thanks for your replies.

I understand what you are saying. It does seem to render it correctly. But it doesn't allow me to access the part of the clip that was previously there. It seems to extend the footage, but will not allow me to access beyond the length of the clip which was there before the effect was applied. I have tried to extend the end of the timeline to get to the right point but it wont allow me.

FYI, to make sure I wasn't going mad, I still have PPro CS4 installed which had the time warp effect. I started a new project and used the same clip. I applied the time warp effect and it worked perfectly.

So it seems I am doing it correctly, but for some reason the clips in AECS5 are currently doing strange things when attempting to apply this effect. I am hoping someone out there is having the same problem to confirm this is a glitch.

• 6. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles

This still sounds somewhat ominous... there should be no difference in behaviors between CS4 and CS5. Mmh...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                      J Maggs Level 1

Mmh indeed. Thought I was going batty. Thanks for replies anyway.

Anyone else out there had a similar experience? Anyone?

• 8. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                        RustedX Level 1

Hey Mate, know exactly what you are going through and i am getting the same thing using After Effects CS4.... The Time Warp Effect... Once it slows down the time does not allow you to extend the footage to be able to view the rest of the clip.....

I have played around with this for a couple of days on and off. Even following Video Copilots tutorial on using the Time Warp Effect with no luck....

Help would be greatly appreciated in this area.

Cheers in Advance

• 9. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles

You can always pre-compose to a longer comp and then apply the effect to this comp. Effects cannot extend the footage unlike the native time-remapping. This seems a different issue than the OP and is actualyl logical...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                            RustedX Level 1

Understood,

Thanks Mylenium

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 01:34:23 -0600

To: pauldavieees@hotmail.com

Subject: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles

You can always pre-compose to a longer comp and then apply the effect to this comp. Effects cannot extend the footage unlike the native time-remapping. This seems a different issue than the OP and is actualyl logical...

Mylenium

>

• 11. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                              J Maggs Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Sorry about my lack of knowledge in relation to this, but could you explain what you mean by pre-composing to a longer comp please? The only other time I dealt with timewarp was with PPro CS4 and that still seems to work it okay.

I apologise if this is basic, I have the basic knowledge of how to use CS5 but some of the terminology may not have caught up with me yet.

Thanks for your help and suggestion.

• 12. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                                AntonyM6-sPksqC

"could you explain what you mean by pre-composing to a longer comp please?"

OK, suppose you have Clip1 which is 25 seconds long.

Select this layer and choose Layer->Precompose.

Call this new layer Clip2.

In the Project window, right-click Clip2 and choose Composition Settings.

Change duration to 50 seconds (=2 x 25).

Regards,

Antony

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                                  J Maggs Level 1

Hi,

Thanks AntonyM6 & Millenium for this answer. Gave the pre-composing a run and it worked fine. Thanks a lot for your help with this one. Muchly appreciated.

• 14. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                                    J Maggs Level 1

Well, Just when I thought I had the problem covered, I had not. My original problem continues even after pre-composing. How I got it to work (twice from memory) I'll never know. Just tried the pre-composing method ten times over with the same result, that is not being able to access the end of the clip due to not being able to access the footage near the end after applying the time warp.

I thank all for the assistance and help, but after spending in the vicinity of 30 hours trying to work this out it is doing my head in.

All I'm after in the end is the best possible quality slow motion footage. Any suggestions.

• 15. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

You know, since you run AE 9, the culprit just might be the codec of your footage -- it doesn't like mts, mp4, any kind of mpeg, avchd, h.264, any kind of HDV acquisition codec.... well, it doesn't like any long-gop, temporally-compressed codecs.  Prior to AE 10, the application wanted to see complete information for each and every frame.  But those bad codecs don't work that way, so AE would freak out.

The fix: take your footage into Adobe Media Encoder to convert it to an AE-friendly codec.  I'm a Mac guy, so I swear by Quicktime's ProRes 422 (if it's available to me), or the Animation and PNG codecs, both of which are lossless.

How about Windows-centric codecs?  I don't think you should use them, but if you insist, try uncompressed AVI, I guess.  Beyond that, you're on your own for codec choices.

• 16. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                                        J Maggs Level 1

Thanks Dave, Will give it a run and see if it sorts things out. Appreciate the suggestion and will post the results.

• 17. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                                          bentolosa

This is in reply to OP J Maggs and RustedX:

Hey guys I feel your pain. I am taking the time to reply just because I had the SAME problem and researched all over the internet and wasn't available to find much specifically about my case which it seems to be EXACTLY what happens/ed to RustedX.

I've got a 16 seconds clip, shot with a Canon 7D at 1280x720 60fps. I wanted to slow it down to 5% with After Effects CS4's Timewarp. So, because I tried the same effect with Apple Motion (with success), I knew the new time of the clip was going to be 5:30 minutes long. So I changed my comp time from 16 seconds to 5:30 minutes. I dropped the clip in to my comp timeline (which showed me a little 16 seconds clip into my 5:30 minutes comp) and applied the Timewarp effect to my new layer. It did slowed it down but still the clip on the layer was at 5% but only for 16 seconds. Meaning it should had been a 5:30 minutes clip, but stayed slowed down at 5% for only 16 seconds. So, I sent to render because I thought 4gb or ram probably wasn't enough or something, and it came out a nice 5:30 minutes long clip with 16 seconds of slow motion at 5% and the rest of the clip is completely black.

I wasn't UNABLE to extend that @#$%!V little clip on my time line. I used all the methods I know (even the ones posted at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7e70 a.html [although are for CS5]), but I had no luck. I am not sure, perhaps I did not perform those properly.

It took me almost 3 days of research now (in and out of course), but finally I found a solution (at least for my case) and I am posting it here now in hope it will help more people with the same issue.

What finally worked was this:

I selected my layer with the clip on my timeline, and I right clicked on the layer not the comp and selected Time -> Enable Time Remapping

And voula!

My layer with the clip was extended all the way until the end of my comp and was able to preview the results as I was scrolling over the time line.

My goodness, finally! What a relief after all those hours of surfing the web for an specific answer

Oh well, I hope this helps some else!!

Have a great Timewarping guys!!

• 18. Re: After Effects CS5 timewarp troubles
                                            J Maggs Level 1

Hi bentolosa,

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to giving this a run.